The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Feeling after lymph node removal

Forums General Melanoma Community Feeling after lymph node removal

Participant

Does anyone know of any therapy or remedies to help regain feeling after lymph node removal? I had my surgery in September at my right groin and haven't really regained much feeling in my upper thigh. It goes down the inner thigh, down to my knee and in the groin area. (And even a little further over) I know it's possible not to regain any but if anyone has any helpful hints I would greatly appreciate it. 

Misty 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

I had similar numbness for about 6 months or so.  Then it began to resolve and things have been mostly back to normal since (3 years later), except occasionally I still have some numbness that returns at the very top of my thigh.  I didn't do anything at all to get rid of it and it just seemed to resolve on its own.  I hope yours does too.  Maybe somebody else will have some proactive suggestions, but I wanted to share my own experience just to say that there is always the possibility it will resolve on its own with time.

Good luck!

Cheri

CHD
          Participant

I had similar numbness for about 6 months or so.  Then it began to resolve and things have been mostly back to normal since (3 years later), except occasionally I still have some numbness that returns at the very top of my thigh.  I didn't do anything at all to get rid of it and it just seemed to resolve on its own.  I hope yours does too.  Maybe somebody else will have some proactive suggestions, but I wanted to share my own experience just to say that there is always the possibility it will resolve on its own with time.

Good luck!

Cheri

CHD
            Participant

Good luck!

Cheri

mjanssentx
              Participant

Misty – i had the my underarm nodes removed 14 months ago.  After the surgery I could feel nothing in area of about the size of a softball (in my arm and chest area)….other than pain around that general area.

Today the area of numbness about the size of a baseball.  My best suggestion is to the stretching exercises they recommended right after surgery.  Only take 3-5 minutes but I notice an improvement for a couple of days…and then I repeat again).  

Best wishes….Michel

mjanssentx
                Participant

Misty – i had the my underarm nodes removed 14 months ago.  After the surgery I could feel nothing in area of about the size of a softball (in my arm and chest area)….other than pain around that general area.

Today the area of numbness about the size of a baseball.  My best suggestion is to the stretching exercises they recommended right after surgery.  Only take 3-5 minutes but I notice an improvement for a couple of days…and then I repeat again).  

Best wishes….Michel

mjanssentx
                  Participant

Best wishes….Michel

stars
                    Participant

It might not be quite the same, but I had some nerves cut to my lower arm during a WLE. It was quite horrible having the WLE and some cautery and feeling the cautery 'electrocute' down my nerves. That was six months ago and I have noticed a definite improvement over time, I'd say about 50% better. Apparently nerves do try to regrow, and if they manage to make the right connections you can regain sensation. It's a bit hit and miss though. I found a link saying they regenerate at one inch per month, so hopefully you have a gradual improvement over time. It's quite unnerving, so to speak, to have no feeling on part of your body.  Here's the link:

http://nerve.wustl.edu/NerveInjury.pdf

stars
                      Participant

It might not be quite the same, but I had some nerves cut to my lower arm during a WLE. It was quite horrible having the WLE and some cautery and feeling the cautery 'electrocute' down my nerves. That was six months ago and I have noticed a definite improvement over time, I'd say about 50% better. Apparently nerves do try to regrow, and if they manage to make the right connections you can regain sensation. It's a bit hit and miss though. I found a link saying they regenerate at one inch per month, so hopefully you have a gradual improvement over time. It's quite unnerving, so to speak, to have no feeling on part of your body.  Here's the link:

stars
                        Participant

JuTMSY4
                          Participant

I had the same surgery about 1.5 years ago.  I still cannot feel the top of my thigh down to about my knee and around to about my inner thigh.  

JuTMSY4
                            Participant

I had the same surgery about 1.5 years ago.  I still cannot feel the top of my thigh down to about my knee and around to about my inner thigh.  

JuTMSY4
                              Participant

AshleyS
                                Participant

Hey Misty, I am glad you're doing relatively well. My experience may not be what you want to hear….

After my complete lymph node dissection from my left groin I experienced the same thing as you. A year later, and it's a bit better, but pretty much the same. However, I've kind of gotten used to it. I wear a Jobst support hose because it helps with the "strange sensation" (most people wear them for lymphedema).  If one of my kids grabs my leg the wrong way it can still be really painful. I tried rubbing Frankincense essential oils on it early on, but I don't think it did a thing. 

I hope you figure something out. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                  Participant

Hey Misty, I am glad you're doing relatively well. My experience may not be what you want to hear….

After my complete lymph node dissection from my left groin I experienced the same thing as you. A year later, and it's a bit better, but pretty much the same. However, I've kind of gotten used to it. I wear a Jobst support hose because it helps with the "strange sensation" (most people wear them for lymphedema).  If one of my kids grabs my leg the wrong way it can still be really painful. I tried rubbing Frankincense essential oils on it early on, but I don't think it did a thing. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                    Participant

Ashley

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics