The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf side effects, how long do they last!

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf side effects, how long do they last!

Participant
      Hello! I’ve been on Zelboraf for almost 7 months now and the side effects are still happening just as bad as they were when I first started taking the drug! Does anyone know if they’ll Ever subside or stop all together?? Thanks for any insight that can be given.

Hello! I’ve been on Zelboraf for almost 7 months now and the side effects are still happening just as bad as they were when I first started taking the drug! Does anyone know if they’ll Ever subside or stop all together?? Thanks for any insight that can be given.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant

Hi Kim, Oh how I wish you were not here asking this question.  You do not specify what side effects you are asking about so I will respond in some generalities (there are more details in my profile).

For me, most side effects went away over a period of several months, most notably joint pain, hair loss, fatigue, and warts.  Some side effects I still have – neuropathy in feet (nothing like it was) and a mild rash.  The side effect that I still have that has not gone away at all is photosensitivity; I can get a sunburn just an hour after sunrise.

Also, I have had some issues with my bilirubin being high.  That has been an issue since last fall but I seem to have it under control with proper hydration.  I'm coming up on using Zelboraf for 40 months, and I consider my side effects to be a very small price to pay.

Hope this helps, other Zelboraf users will surely chime in with their experience.   Best of luck.

Richard_K
          Participant

Hi Kim, Oh how I wish you were not here asking this question.  You do not specify what side effects you are asking about so I will respond in some generalities (there are more details in my profile).

For me, most side effects went away over a period of several months, most notably joint pain, hair loss, fatigue, and warts.  Some side effects I still have – neuropathy in feet (nothing like it was) and a mild rash.  The side effect that I still have that has not gone away at all is photosensitivity; I can get a sunburn just an hour after sunrise.

Also, I have had some issues with my bilirubin being high.  That has been an issue since last fall but I seem to have it under control with proper hydration.  I'm coming up on using Zelboraf for 40 months, and I consider my side effects to be a very small price to pay.

Hope this helps, other Zelboraf users will surely chime in with their experience.   Best of luck.

NYKaren
              Participant

Hi Kim,

I know a lot of people (including me!) have gone down to 6 pills/day, 3 morning/3 night, and that seems to help the side-effects considerably.  when I was still on 4/4, I literally could not go up or down even one step due to the joint-pain.  Luckilly, I never had the rash, had one or two fevers, but definately had sun sensitivity.  Even on the lower dose, my arm (which had sunscreen on it) got sunburnt while I was driving the car!)  Also, when the pain was at its worst, I was prescribed a short course of Prednisone, which helped a lot.

all the best,
                Karen

NYKaren
                Participant

Hi Kim,

I know a lot of people (including me!) have gone down to 6 pills/day, 3 morning/3 night, and that seems to help the side-effects considerably.  when I was still on 4/4, I literally could not go up or down even one step due to the joint-pain.  Luckilly, I never had the rash, had one or two fevers, but definately had sun sensitivity.  Even on the lower dose, my arm (which had sunscreen on it) got sunburnt while I was driving the car!)  Also, when the pain was at its worst, I was prescribed a short course of Prednisone, which helped a lot.

all the best,
                  Karen

NYKaren
                  Participant

Hi Kim,

all the best,
                    Karen

Kim_H
                    Participant

Thank you Al!! My side effects seem to be never ending! My hair is still falling out (so I shave it), pretty much constant joint pain, headaches, major diarrhea ( sorry probably too much info) and my eye joints are always achy. Sometimes I think that I am just over taking this junk but in the same breathe I realize how much it is working! So I will continue on and just hope that my hard headed attitude will get me through the side effects! So again I thank you so much for your input and I wish you the best of luck and God Bless you and your family!

Kim_H
                      Participant

Thank you Al!! My side effects seem to be never ending! My hair is still falling out (so I shave it), pretty much constant joint pain, headaches, major diarrhea ( sorry probably too much info) and my eye joints are always achy. Sometimes I think that I am just over taking this junk but in the same breathe I realize how much it is working! So I will continue on and just hope that my hard headed attitude will get me through the side effects! So again I thank you so much for your input and I wish you the best of luck and God Bless you and your family!

Kim_H
                        Participant

Richard_K
                        Participant

jmmm
                          Participant
                            My husband has been on Z for 20 months. Joint pain is still there, along with sun sensitivity. The rash is mostly gone, along with the hair loss. It took awhile….months. He’s never had to deal with the foot pain or warts. He’s had to take some breaks due to the meds overworking his kidneys and liver, but has been on it almost continually for the 20 months.
                            jmmm
                            Participant
                              My husband has been on Z for 20 months. Joint pain is still there, along with sun sensitivity. The rash is mostly gone, along with the hair loss. It took awhile….months. He’s never had to deal with the foot pain or warts. He’s had to take some breaks due to the meds overworking his kidneys and liver, but has been on it almost continually for the 20 months.
                              jmmm
                              Participant
                                WayneG
                                Participant

Hey Kim,

Finishing up month 14 on full dose "Z".  Side affects started getting better around month 5.  Still have some – rash, foot swelling/pain, fatigue, hair thinning – but all are better and certainly manageable.  

Hang in there.

Wayne

WayneG
                                  Participant

Hey Kim,

Finishing up month 14 on full dose "Z".  Side affects started getting better around month 5.  Still have some – rash, foot swelling/pain, fatigue, hair thinning – but all are better and certainly manageable.  

Hang in there.

Wayne

WayneG
                                    Participant

Hey Kim,

Hang in there.

Wayne

aldakota22
                                      Participant

As havig been on"Z"   at full dose for 21 months I can tell you that the side affects are always changing.At first I had loss of body hair,changes in taste, bouts of crazy itching,some joint pain ,and every 3 weeks or so, a   2 or 3  day bout with the runs.Never had as extreme sensitivty  to sun as most.The side effects lasted  for weeks at a time and then lessened to be almost un-noticeable. They still are there but  you accept them I did get my taste back.,thank God..You are one tough girl and I know you can tough it out till things get better .In my prayers that it comes soon. Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                                        Participant

As havig been on"Z"   at full dose for 21 months I can tell you that the side affects are always changing.At first I had loss of body hair,changes in taste, bouts of crazy itching,some joint pain ,and every 3 weeks or so, a   2 or 3  day bout with the runs.Never had as extreme sensitivty  to sun as most.The side effects lasted  for weeks at a time and then lessened to be almost un-noticeable. They still are there but  you accept them I did get my taste back.,thank God..You are one tough girl and I know you can tough it out till things get better .In my prayers that it comes soon. Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                                          Participant

Kim_H
                                            Participant

You are so right David I just realized that I did not list all of the side effects that I was having but at the time I posted this I was having one of my very bad days and I think I was just looking for quick answers in general so I apologize for my lack of information. I thank you so much for your input though and I wish you luck and much success and continued healing! Thank you again!

Kim_H
                                              Participant

You are so right David I just realized that I did not list all of the side effects that I was having but at the time I posted this I was having one of my very bad days and I think I was just looking for quick answers in general so I apologize for my lack of information. I thank you so much for your input though and I wish you luck and much success and continued healing! Thank you again!

Kim_H
                                                Participant

Kim_H
                                                  Participant

Thank you so much for your input on your husbands experience I appreciate it very much and wish him continued success on Z!!

Kim_H
                                                    Participant

Thank you so much for your input on your husbands experience I appreciate it very much and wish him continued success on Z!!

Kim_H
                                                      Participant

Kim_H
                                                        Participant

Thank you so much Wayne!! I wish you continued success and appreciate your input so much!

Kim_H
                                                          Participant

Thank you so much Wayne!! I wish you continued success and appreciate your input so much!

Kim_H
                                                            Participant

Kim_H
                                                              Participant

Thank you so much for your input Karen! I really appreciate it! I wish you continued success in your fight!! 

Thank you!

Kim_H
                                                                Participant

Thank you so much for your input Karen! I really appreciate it! I wish you continued success in your fight!! 

Thank you!

Kim_H
                                                                  Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics