The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

zelboraf help

Forums General Melanoma Community zelboraf help

Participant

Hi everyone, new here need info. I have been taking 4 in AM and 4 in PM. Yesterday my head started itching real bad, arm pitts are red and I noticed today tounge is white. Do you think I should cut back on pills ?  Any ideas ! Please

Hi everyone, new here need info. I have been taking 4 in AM and 4 in PM. Yesterday my head started itching real bad, arm pitts are red and I noticed today tounge is white. Do you think I should cut back on pills ?  Any ideas ! Please

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

My advise is to stay on full dose until you talk to your doc as soon as possible. "Z" side affects are sometimes extreme.Read some of the posts and you see there is no normal with"Z".Usually they lessen with time or change to even different symptoms.Check with your drug supplier for usually they have a contact phone#  with a pharmisit who  is on call that may answer questions you have.Stay tough for tonite. Beat the Beast.     Al

aldakota22
          Participant

My advise is to stay on full dose until you talk to your doc as soon as possible. "Z" side affects are sometimes extreme.Read some of the posts and you see there is no normal with"Z".Usually they lessen with time or change to even different symptoms.Check with your drug supplier for usually they have a contact phone#  with a pharmisit who  is on call that may answer questions you have.Stay tough for tonite. Beat the Beast.     Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Richard_K
              Participant
                Al offers good advice. You might also contact Genentech for assistance, they have a 24 hour support line.

http://www.zelboraf.com/patient/support/partners

Good luck.

Richard_K
                Participant
                  Al offers good advice. You might also contact Genentech for assistance, they have a 24 hour support line.

Good luck.

Richard_K
                  Participant

Good luck.

Tina D
                    Participant

You definitely dont want to change dose without talking with/seeing your Dr first. But, like was said, the side effects can ramp up quickly, so you want to be sure to keep them apprised. I started with a rash on full dose that in a matter of days became rather astonishing. But, other times mild symptoms stayed in check. Most important thing on the Zelboraf is to be very sure to keep your Dr updated on any changes. Some Drs have not had many pts on Zelboraf and may not be as familiar with the side effects ( I was my Drs only pt on it) so the genentech line may be helpful in that event. For itching I found that tepid oatmeal baths offered fair relief.

Tina

Tina D
                      Participant

You definitely dont want to change dose without talking with/seeing your Dr first. But, like was said, the side effects can ramp up quickly, so you want to be sure to keep them apprised. I started with a rash on full dose that in a matter of days became rather astonishing. But, other times mild symptoms stayed in check. Most important thing on the Zelboraf is to be very sure to keep your Dr updated on any changes. Some Drs have not had many pts on Zelboraf and may not be as familiar with the side effects ( I was my Drs only pt on it) so the genentech line may be helpful in that event. For itching I found that tepid oatmeal baths offered fair relief.

Tina

Tina D
                        Participant

Tina

SaveMySister
                          Participant

I'm not a doctor, but I believe a white tongue is often indicative of thrush, a yeast infection. You probably are already doing this, but just in case, please be sure to check all drug interactions before taking anything for the thrush.  I can't remember where I saw it on this forum, but I know I read where someone took a drug for thrush and had terrible effects from its interaction with the Zelboraf. If you can have all prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy and make sure that the pharmacists is checking this out for you, it would be wise.  Sometimes even the oncology experts miss this type of problem.

SaveMySister
                            Participant

I'm not a doctor, but I believe a white tongue is often indicative of thrush, a yeast infection. You probably are already doing this, but just in case, please be sure to check all drug interactions before taking anything for the thrush.  I can't remember where I saw it on this forum, but I know I read where someone took a drug for thrush and had terrible effects from its interaction with the Zelboraf. If you can have all prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy and make sure that the pharmacists is checking this out for you, it would be wise.  Sometimes even the oncology experts miss this type of problem.

SaveMySister
                              Participant

Fred Morgan
                                Participant

Thank you for your replys. Late yesterday my stomach stated with red rash. My Doctor is close to impossible to talk to he lives in different city then me. I call ladys at office but no return call. I will see Doc on Tuesday but will need to go to Hospital tomorrow Friday to do the blood check. My wife came home after work yesterday and wanted to take tow boat out for ski ride I said no way that is how this mess started 22 years ago too much fun in the sun on the Colorado river. I wish there was a do over.

POW
                                  Participant

I hope and expect that both you and your wife know that when you are taking Zelboraf you MUST stay out of the sun! Zelboraf makes your skin extremely sensitive and you can get a severe sunburn in 5 minutes even when using sunscreen. 

LilithFaith
                                    Participant

Do not skip doses or change your intake of the pills. As far as your doc goes, if possibe you should switch to someone that is easy to reach, as they should be closly monitoring you.

It is normal to break out in a rash on Z and you must avoid exposure to the sun at all costs. If symptoms get worse go to the er asap. 

With a lot of these new drugs, dry mouth is common and biotiene is suggested to keep your mouth moist, and as previouslty mentioned in a comment above, thrush is possible so you may want to consult your general physician for that not your oncologist, but do tell your onc about that side effect.

You're in my prayers!

Lilith Elmore

Freshman at Eastern University, Biology majoy

LilithFaith
                                      Participant

Do not skip doses or change your intake of the pills. As far as your doc goes, if possibe you should switch to someone that is easy to reach, as they should be closly monitoring you.

It is normal to break out in a rash on Z and you must avoid exposure to the sun at all costs. If symptoms get worse go to the er asap. 

With a lot of these new drugs, dry mouth is common and biotiene is suggested to keep your mouth moist, and as previouslty mentioned in a comment above, thrush is possible so you may want to consult your general physician for that not your oncologist, but do tell your onc about that side effect.

You're in my prayers!

Lilith Elmore

LilithFaith
                                        Participant

You're in my prayers!

Lilith Elmore

Fred Morgan
                                          Participant

Pow thanks for the reminder. I stay inside most of the day and if I do need to go out I wear long sleeve shirt, hat and sunglasses. Sun is bruttle here very bright.

Fred Morgan
                                            Participant

Lilith thanks for the prayers. Tomorrow AM a Doctor assistant will call me from Lake Havasu City AZ then it will be off to Parker Regional Hospital for blood test.

bj63
                                              Participant

I had a period of bad rashes with the Zelboraf that lasted about six weeks.  I took Aveeno baths and used lots of Cortisone-10 cream.  Eventually it went away.  I'm in my ninth month on the Zelboraf and give a whole rundown of my experience to date in my profile.  But my skin has changed significantly and I am much more sensitive to soaps, fragrances, and shaving creams than I was before.

Sunscreen is a must.  I've been using a fragrance-free Nutrogena SPF 100 on the rare occasions I'm out in the sun.  I use the spray can for my arms and legs and the cream for my face.  Coincidentally, I did spend 3 days on a sailboat earlier this summer.  The boat had a biminy cover and I wore khaki's, loose-fitting long sleeve shirts, a wide-brimmed hat, SPF 100 and Zinc Oxide on my nose.  Unfortunately I forgot to protect my lips so I sunburned my lower lip pretty badly, which never has been a problem before.  While I came out mostly unscathed, I probably won't do it again any time soon.

Good luck!

Fred Morgan
                                                Participant

Good to hear your information. Docs office called in AM I told them what is going on they said stop taking pills till Tuesday that is when I see Doc. Went to Hospital today they did blood test for $93.50 not too bad there is 3 checks they work on to give Doc. So I will see Tuesday what he says.

Fred Morgan
                                                  Participant

Good to hear your information. Docs office called in AM I told them what is going on they said stop taking pills till Tuesday that is when I see Doc. Went to Hospital today they did blood test for $93.50 not too bad there is 3 checks they work on to give Doc. So I will see Tuesday what he says.

Fred Morgan
                                                    Participant

Thank you for your replys. Late yesterday my stomach stated with red rash. My Doctor is close to impossible to talk to he lives in different city then me. I call ladys at office but no return call. I will see Doc on Tuesday but will need to go to Hospital tomorrow Friday to do the blood check. My wife came home after work yesterday and wanted to take tow boat out for ski ride I said no way that is how this mess started 22 years ago too much fun in the sun on the Colorado river. I wish there was a do over.

Fred Morgan
                                                      Participant

POW
                                                        Participant

I hope and expect that both you and your wife know that when you are taking Zelboraf you MUST stay out of the sun! Zelboraf makes your skin extremely sensitive and you can get a severe sunburn in 5 minutes even when using sunscreen. 

POW
                                                          Participant

bj63
                                                            Participant

I had a period of bad rashes with the Zelboraf that lasted about six weeks.  I took Aveeno baths and used lots of Cortisone-10 cream.  Eventually it went away.  I'm in my ninth month on the Zelboraf and give a whole rundown of my experience to date in my profile.  But my skin has changed significantly and I am much more sensitive to soaps, fragrances, and shaving creams than I was before.

Sunscreen is a must.  I've been using a fragrance-free Nutrogena SPF 100 on the rare occasions I'm out in the sun.  I use the spray can for my arms and legs and the cream for my face.  Coincidentally, I did spend 3 days on a sailboat earlier this summer.  The boat had a biminy cover and I wore khaki's, loose-fitting long sleeve shirts, a wide-brimmed hat, SPF 100 and Zinc Oxide on my nose.  Unfortunately I forgot to protect my lips so I sunburned my lower lip pretty badly, which never has been a problem before.  While I came out mostly unscathed, I probably won't do it again any time soon.

Good luck!

bj63
                                                              Participant

Good luck!

Fred Morgan
                                                                Participant

Pow thanks for the reminder. I stay inside most of the day and if I do need to go out I wear long sleeve shirt, hat and sunglasses. Sun is bruttle here very bright.

Fred Morgan
                                                                  Participant

Fred Morgan
                                                                    Participant

Lilith thanks for the prayers. Tomorrow AM a Doctor assistant will call me from Lake Havasu City AZ then it will be off to Parker Regional Hospital for blood test.

Fred Morgan
                                                                      Participant

Fred Morgan
                                                                        Participant

Fred Morgan
                                                                          Participant

Fred Morgan
                                                                            Participant

Fred Morgan
                                                                              Participant

Fred Morgan
                                                                                Participant

Here is where I am at today after seeing Doc, he made a mistake on my dosage after he saw my weight, he cut dosage in 1/2 . I told office lady last week if I keep taking this many pills a day I won't see Doc on Tuesday because I will be dead. So I will see how 4 per day go.

Fred Morgan
                                                                                  Participant

Here is where I am at today after seeing Doc, he made a mistake on my dosage after he saw my weight, he cut dosage in 1/2 . I told office lady last week if I keep taking this many pills a day I won't see Doc on Tuesday because I will be dead. So I will see how 4 per day go.

Fred Morgan
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics