The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf, Gamma Knife

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf, Gamma Knife

Participant

Just a quick story from a friend  who works on a cardiac floor, she was with a patient yesterday who is on Zelboraf, had 4 brain tumors, Gamma Knife & now brain mets are gone! She continues on Zelboraf for lung and liver mets, but she is doing great and was diagnosed 7 yrs ago (primary was melanoma on leg) and is 79 yrs old!! Can you believe it!?

My husband is going on 7 mos of Zelboraf and 13 brain tumors still shrinking as of Nov! 🙂 

Wishing you all a holiday miracle!

Kelly

Just a quick story from a friend  who works on a cardiac floor, she was with a patient yesterday who is on Zelboraf, had 4 brain tumors, Gamma Knife & now brain mets are gone! She continues on Zelboraf for lung and liver mets, but she is doing great and was diagnosed 7 yrs ago (primary was melanoma on leg) and is 79 yrs old!! Can you believe it!?

My husband is going on 7 mos of Zelboraf and 13 brain tumors still shrinking as of Nov! 🙂 

Wishing you all a holiday miracle!

Kelly

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

My brother (age 65) has pretty much the same story. He developed one new brain tumor while on Zelboraf (which may have gotten started before he took the Z). It was zapped by a gamma knife and the Z shrank the tumors in the rest of his body. Unfortunately, after 5 months on Z, a met in his liver started growing again so apparently the tumor is becoming resistant to Z. He is now looking inot alternative therapies.

What seems to be happening is that Zelboraf is great for quickly shrinking tumors with minimal side effects (for most people). However, the tumors do become resistant to Z pretty quickly. So most of us patients and caregivers are hoping that the Z will keep the melanoma at bay long enough for some of the promising new long-acting treatments (BRAF+MEK or anti-PD-1, etc) to get through the clinical trials process. Far from an ideal situation, but a lot more hopeful than things used to be. 

kellygrl
            Participant

Oh we are well aware of the fact that he could possibly develop a resistance, (I feel like throwing up whenever we go n for MRI results) but everyone is different and there are those who have been on Z over 18 mos. We will cross that resistance bridge if we get there.

Postive thoughts to your brother and your family. I hope he wil respond to another treatment.

Kelly

kellygrl
              Participant

Oh we are well aware of the fact that he could possibly develop a resistance, (I feel like throwing up whenever we go n for MRI results) but everyone is different and there are those who have been on Z over 18 mos. We will cross that resistance bridge if we get there.

Postive thoughts to your brother and your family. I hope he wil respond to another treatment.

Kelly

kellygrl
                Participant

Kelly

POW
                Participant

My brother (age 65) has pretty much the same story. He developed one new brain tumor while on Zelboraf (which may have gotten started before he took the Z). It was zapped by a gamma knife and the Z shrank the tumors in the rest of his body. Unfortunately, after 5 months on Z, a met in his liver started growing again so apparently the tumor is becoming resistant to Z. He is now looking inot alternative therapies.

What seems to be happening is that Zelboraf is great for quickly shrinking tumors with minimal side effects (for most people). However, the tumors do become resistant to Z pretty quickly. So most of us patients and caregivers are hoping that the Z will keep the melanoma at bay long enough for some of the promising new long-acting treatments (BRAF+MEK or anti-PD-1, etc) to get through the clinical trials process. Far from an ideal situation, but a lot more hopeful than things used to be. 

POW
                  Participant

aldakota22
                    Participant

Praying for a Christmas miracle for you also."Z" for me and some others does work long term.As I posted earlier on it for over 15 months now.Keep the pma (positive mind attitude) as I beleive is is partly responsible for my success on "Z".Beat theBeast.    Al

kellygrl
                        Participant

Thanks Al!! & we are all about PMA here! I usually stay off these sites, but when I have positive news, I like to share.

We will Beat the Beast! Kelly

kellygrl
                          Participant

Thanks Al!! & we are all about PMA here! I usually stay off these sites, but when I have positive news, I like to share.

kellygrl
                            Participant

aldakota22
                            Participant

Praying for a Christmas miracle for you also."Z" for me and some others does work long term.As I posted earlier on it for over 15 months now.Keep the pma (positive mind attitude) as I beleive is is partly responsible for my success on "Z".Beat theBeast.    Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Love these reports!

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Love these reports!

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Love these reports!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics