The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf and side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf and side effects

Participant

I have been taking Zelboraf since Oct. 2011 and so far NED!  My question is how  long do we stay on this drug and has anyone experienced severe hair loss, loss of appetite and stomach problems?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Judy

I have been taking Zelboraf since Oct. 2011 and so far NED!  My question is how  long do we stay on this drug and has anyone experienced severe hair loss, loss of appetite and stomach problems?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Judy

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

I have been o Zelboraf since 9/12/11.Side effects included hair loss ( head and body) loss of some taste.weight loss but still have very good appetite and occasional case of the runs about every 2 to 3 weeks lasting from 1 to 3 days.You stay on this drug as long as it works.Hopefully a very very long time.

aldakota22
          Participant

I have been o Zelboraf since 9/12/11.Side effects included hair loss ( head and body) loss of some taste.weight loss but still have very good appetite and occasional case of the runs about every 2 to 3 weeks lasting from 1 to 3 days.You stay on this drug as long as it works.Hopefully a very very long time.

aldakota22
            Participant

Richard_K
              Participant

Judy

My situation is a little different than yours as I am part of the Zelboraf phase II clinical trial.  As such, I will remain on Zelboraf as long as it continues to work, I believe that would be the same for others but I am not sure.

I’m not sure when it started, but I did have body hair loss.  I’m 65 and the hair on my head was already thinning so I do not know if Zelboraf contributed to additional head hair loss but it definitely did not fall completely out although the texture did change. Today body hair has mostly returned although much thinner.

I never had any appetite or stomach problems.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to answer.  Continued good luck.

Dick

Richard_K
                Participant

Judy

My situation is a little different than yours as I am part of the Zelboraf phase II clinical trial.  As such, I will remain on Zelboraf as long as it continues to work, I believe that would be the same for others but I am not sure.

I’m not sure when it started, but I did have body hair loss.  I’m 65 and the hair on my head was already thinning so I do not know if Zelboraf contributed to additional head hair loss but it definitely did not fall completely out although the texture did change. Today body hair has mostly returned although much thinner.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to answer.  Continued good luck.

Dick

Richard_K
                  Participant

Judy

Dick

boot2aboot
                    Participant

I have been on Zelboraf for 6 mos. at a greatly reduced dose due to side effects:

On Full dose:

fever

arthragia with swelling

Erythema nodosums 

diarrhea

Myalgia

Hair loss-everywhere

petechia

keratosis pilaris

foot and hand neuropathy

elevated ALT

scans showed 40% reduction of tumors, no new growths

On Half dose with steroids:

Body  and face rashes

Itching,

Loss of body hair

Fever(but less than 100 degrees)

keratosis pilaris

foot neuropathy

elevated ALT

scans showed 30% reduction in tumors, no new growths

On less than Half dose without steroids:

keratosis pilaris

squamous cell cancer

last scans showed mild reduction of tumors, no new growth…some lung mets resolved

boots

boot2aboot
                      Participant

I have been on Zelboraf for 6 mos. at a greatly reduced dose due to side effects:

On Full dose:

fever

arthragia with swelling

Erythema nodosums 

diarrhea

Myalgia

Hair loss-everywhere

petechia

keratosis pilaris

foot and hand neuropathy

elevated ALT

Body  and face rashes

Itching,

Loss of body hair

keratosis pilaris

foot neuropathy

elevated ALT

keratosis pilaris

squamous cell cancer

last scans showed mild reduction of tumors, no new growth…some lung mets resolved

boots

boot2aboot
                        Participant

On Full dose:

fever

arthragia with swelling

Erythema nodosums 

diarrhea

Myalgia

Hair loss-everywhere

petechia

keratosis pilaris

foot and hand neuropathy

elevated ALT

Body  and face rashes

Itching,

Loss of body hair

keratosis pilaris

foot neuropathy

elevated ALT

keratosis pilaris

squamous cell cancer

boots

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics