The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf Also Known as Vemurafenib

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf Also Known as Vemurafenib

Participant

I have been a Melanoma patient since 1998. My melanoma started on the back of my right calf.  I have had multiple surgeries, Two limb perfusions in Philidelphia , Pennsylvania.  Recently, I began taking Zelboraf, because my tumors had a mutation in the melanoma gene.  I started treatment with Zelboraf November 4 2011. PET Scan on October 27 2011 showed two 3 inch tumors in the pelvis on the right side and several small ones. On Dec 26 2011, I turned juandice and went to the ER to check my blood and urine.

I have been a Melanoma patient since 1998. My melanoma started on the back of my right calf.  I have had multiple surgeries, Two limb perfusions in Philidelphia , Pennsylvania.  Recently, I began taking Zelboraf, because my tumors had a mutation in the melanoma gene.  I started treatment with Zelboraf November 4 2011. PET Scan on October 27 2011 showed two 3 inch tumors in the pelvis on the right side and several small ones. On Dec 26 2011, I turned juandice and went to the ER to check my blood and urine. The lab results showed my numbers very high.  They wanted to do a CT scan to see why I was jaundice. I had  PET scan already scheduled for 12-27-2011. I took the PET scan.  My Dr.Called me with the BEST news I had for the whole holiday season that evening.  He said do you believe in MIRACLES? I said YES. The Dr. said my 3 inch tumors shrunk to thumb nail size. I had surgery set for 1-10-2012. I went for the surgery to have the rest of the tumors removed. When I woke from my surgery my wife said the Dr. couldn't find the tumors. The Doctor came to my hospital room and told me I'm the "Miracle Man". The tumors were gone and he couldn't find them. He cut out the suspected lymph nodes and  had them sent to the lab.  The lab report found no melanoma cells.  Zelboraf worked for me.  The rest was taken care of by the Holy Spirit and Jesus. My Dr. calls me the "MIRACLE MAN".

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Suzan AB
        Participant
          Congrats…whoohoo for you.
          I glad the drug worked for you..i wasnt allowed in their trial because i am braf-k. This medication is very braf-e specific. So glad it worked for you…happy dance time
          My best to uou and yours…Suzan AB
            deardad
            Participant

Hi and congratulations that's great news for you. My dad is currently on this drug and it 's now been 4 months with tumor in liver spleen lung and abdomen still shrinking. Its wonderful news for you but this drug is only an inhibitor not a cure, so stay vigilant and research other treatment as a back up plan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but melanoma usually finds away around this drug, but maybe you're one of the lucky ones…I hope you are.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

Ps Suzan Hi I've never heard of braf-k or -e, that's interesting my father's oncologist never mentioned that? Is that even more specific than being BRAF positive? Thanks

deardad
              Participant

Hi and congratulations that's great news for you. My dad is currently on this drug and it 's now been 4 months with tumor in liver spleen lung and abdomen still shrinking. Its wonderful news for you but this drug is only an inhibitor not a cure, so stay vigilant and research other treatment as a back up plan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but melanoma usually finds away around this drug, but maybe you're one of the lucky ones…I hope you are.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

Ps Suzan Hi I've never heard of braf-k or -e, that's interesting my father's oncologist never mentioned that? Is that even more specific than being BRAF positive? Thanks

deardad
                Participant

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

Suzan AB
                Participant
                  I glad the drug worked for you..i wasnt allowed in their trial because i am braf-k. This medication is very braf-e specific. So glad it worked for you…happy dance time
                  Suzan AB
                  Participant
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics