The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy Side Effects Help

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy Side Effects Help

Participant

Had my first infusion of Yervoy for adjuvant treatment a week ago. Main issues I have had to far are diarrhea, itching, and now flucuating between really cold and really hot at night.

Per my doctor's instructions, Imodium has stopped the diarrhea. Benadryl, lotion, and sensitive skin soaps have lessened itching.

What the heck can I do about the cold chills, burning up, and fever at night? This has happened for the past two nights and it is miserable. 

The itching is starting to drive me insane, too. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel so itchy!

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patina
        Participant
          I can tell you what my Mom’s doctor told her to do for the fever and chills, which she had for a number of weeks. Take Tylenol.

It was for her, a simple solution. She had to take her temperature often and just took the Tylenol when her temperature started to rise. For the most part it ensured that things were kept under control and it kept her out of the ER and hospital once we knew the trick. – At first they didn’t know that the fever and chills were just a treatable side effect. And she ended up in the hospital twice. Lots of tests for nothing but a fever.

Sounds like your body is responding. Good for you!

Good Luck!

Patina
          Participant
            I can tell you what my Mom’s doctor told her to do for the fever and chills, which she had for a number of weeks. Take Tylenol.

It was for her, a simple solution. She had to take her temperature often and just took the Tylenol when her temperature started to rise. For the most part it ensured that things were kept under control and it kept her out of the ER and hospital once we knew the trick. – At first they didn’t know that the fever and chills were just a treatable side effect. And she ended up in the hospital twice. Lots of tests for nothing but a fever.

Good Luck!

Patina
            Participant

Good Luck!

Patina
              Participant

Good Luck!

Patina
                Participant

Good Luck!

Patina
                  Participant

Good Luck!

debwray
                    Participant

Hi,

I'm on pembrolizumab/ keytruda and can agree that the immunotherapy drugs can have miserable side effects at times AND they are so unpredictable-with some problems being of relatively short duration and others that seem to move in and take up residence. 

Aveeno moisturiser seems to get good reports for itchy skin and rashes- I was prescribed doublebase moisturiser and betnovate.. but the intensely itchy tops of my feet only really responded when i was prescribed fucibet as a short term treatment- which is maintained by moisturisers and steroid cream on its own. Cutting my nails really short did at least limit the damage I could do.

I've used a heat pad for the cold and chills- feet feel like ice to me- but apparently are still warm to the touch- and as for the hot sweats- not sure if I'm supposed to put those down to menopause or the drug  but still hard to deal with whatever the cause- but thankfully is no longer as frequent or intense over the last six weeks. Coped by throwing off  bedcovers and listening to music/ radio dramas via headphones to distract me .

Are you feeling feverish or actually running a temperature ? If so paracetamol might help a little.

It does seem to help to know that you are not alone in this struggle and to keep telling yourself that the benefit if the treatment works will be more than worth it . 

Hope it settles down for you soon

Deb

debwray
                      Participant

Hi,

I'm on pembrolizumab/ keytruda and can agree that the immunotherapy drugs can have miserable side effects at times AND they are so unpredictable-with some problems being of relatively short duration and others that seem to move in and take up residence. 

Aveeno moisturiser seems to get good reports for itchy skin and rashes- I was prescribed doublebase moisturiser and betnovate.. but the intensely itchy tops of my feet only really responded when i was prescribed fucibet as a short term treatment- which is maintained by moisturisers and steroid cream on its own. Cutting my nails really short did at least limit the damage I could do.

I've used a heat pad for the cold and chills- feet feel like ice to me- but apparently are still warm to the touch- and as for the hot sweats- not sure if I'm supposed to put those down to menopause or the drug  but still hard to deal with whatever the cause- but thankfully is no longer as frequent or intense over the last six weeks. Coped by throwing off  bedcovers and listening to music/ radio dramas via headphones to distract me .

Are you feeling feverish or actually running a temperature ? If so paracetamol might help a little.

It does seem to help to know that you are not alone in this struggle and to keep telling yourself that the benefit if the treatment works will be more than worth it . 

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Hi,

Deb

JoshF
                          Participant

I had my 3rd and last dose of ipi on 8/8. I've been dealing with fevers ever since. If I recall it actually started after 2nd dose but they were less frequent. It has just progressively become more common, chills, fever, sweats. Patina is right on keeping up with Tylenol etc… Much easier to control. I don't think fevers are a"common" side effect but nurse looked up incidents and 1-10 patients out of 100 experience this. So median would be 5%. Onc says ipi gets tcells fired up causing inflammation in body. So wasn't real concerned but I am. Needless to say, I just had blood work and blood cultures done to rule out infection etc.. I've got a trial coming up in few weeks and don't want to derail that. Best of luck! Praying for a fired up immune system!

Josh

JoshF
                            Participant

I had my 3rd and last dose of ipi on 8/8. I've been dealing with fevers ever since. If I recall it actually started after 2nd dose but they were less frequent. It has just progressively become more common, chills, fever, sweats. Patina is right on keeping up with Tylenol etc… Much easier to control. I don't think fevers are a"common" side effect but nurse looked up incidents and 1-10 patients out of 100 experience this. So median would be 5%. Onc says ipi gets tcells fired up causing inflammation in body. So wasn't real concerned but I am. Needless to say, I just had blood work and blood cultures done to rule out infection etc.. I've got a trial coming up in few weeks and don't want to derail that. Best of luck! Praying for a fired up immune system!

Josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Josh

slh4448
                                Participant

What dose of Yervoy are you on? I had my first 10mg dose about ten days ago.

dmturner
                                    Participant

I am going to have my 2nd 10 mg on Wednesday.  I have not had any side effect from my first injection.  I did notice when I went to see my "medications" in mycareplus that they had included in the Yervoy:  diphenhydramine, hydrocortisone and methylprednisolone sod which I feel helped with the itching and rash.

Donna

dmturner
                                      Participant

I am going to have my 2nd 10 mg on Wednesday.  I have not had any side effect from my first injection.  I did notice when I went to see my "medications" in mycareplus that they had included in the Yervoy:  diphenhydramine, hydrocortisone and methylprednisolone sod which I feel helped with the itching and rash.

Donna

dmturner
                                        Participant

Donna

sleepyt23
                                          Participant

10mg

sleepyt23
                                            Participant

10mg

sleepyt23
                                              Participant

10mg

slh4448
                                              Participant

slh4448
                                                Participant

sleepyt23
                                                  Participant

Thanks for all of the replies!

sleepyt23
                                                    Participant

sleepyt23
                                                      Participant

Hukill
                                                        Participant

I get my 4th round of Yervoy/Opdivo on 09/09/2016. I got the rash 2 weeks after the first round but only had about 4 spots that itched. 3 weeks later the rash was gone. I have had fever for 6 weeks now and I take motrin every 4 hours to prevent it from returning. Every other day I go past the 4 hours to see if it returns and about 4 1/2 hours after the last motrin it starts coming back. My chills have been the worst I have ever had. Sitting in the hot tub shivering, I live in S. Texas and even during lunch one day set in my truck with the heater on, it was 96 outside. I know I am self medicating by taking motrin every 4 hours but it beats the fever.

Hukill
                                                          Participant

I get my 4th round of Yervoy/Opdivo on 09/09/2016. I got the rash 2 weeks after the first round but only had about 4 spots that itched. 3 weeks later the rash was gone. I have had fever for 6 weeks now and I take motrin every 4 hours to prevent it from returning. Every other day I go past the 4 hours to see if it returns and about 4 1/2 hours after the last motrin it starts coming back. My chills have been the worst I have ever had. Sitting in the hot tub shivering, I live in S. Texas and even during lunch one day set in my truck with the heater on, it was 96 outside. I know I am self medicating by taking motrin every 4 hours but it beats the fever.

jennunicorn
                                                              Participant

Just making sure you have reported this prolonged fever to your doctor? Not sure if they will give an infusion if you have a fever, but up to the doctor to make that call.

jennunicorn
                                                                Participant

Just making sure you have reported this prolonged fever to your doctor? Not sure if they will give an infusion if you have a fever, but up to the doctor to make that call.

Hukill
                                                                  Participant

I did. I keep a log broken down in 8 hour time frames of everything that I feel to include urine color and poop consistency. I was hospitalized for 3 days just to run test for infections but all negative. One time they came and drew 10 tubes of blood. I had my 4th injection on 9/9/2016. The fever over the last week has been come and go and is getting better as it seems to be effecting my salava glands and taste buds now. Symptoms seem to move around and effect different parts of my body.

Hukill
                                                                    Participant

I did. I keep a log broken down in 8 hour time frames of everything that I feel to include urine color and poop consistency. I was hospitalized for 3 days just to run test for infections but all negative. One time they came and drew 10 tubes of blood. I had my 4th injection on 9/9/2016. The fever over the last week has been come and go and is getting better as it seems to be effecting my salava glands and taste buds now. Symptoms seem to move around and effect different parts of my body.

Hukill
                                                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

Hukill
                                                                        Participant

KAF
                                                                          Participant

hi

I got the bad itches after the first dose.  Tried all the menthol type lotions..they helped a little but I smelled horrible.  My girlfirend who is a pediatrician told me to ask my doc for a prescription for Atarax – its like a prescrption strength benadryl – no steroid.  My onoclogist hadn't considered using that but she gave me the prescription.  The rash was gone in 24hrs.  About 1 week later I got another rash flare up and again took the Atarax that morning and it was gone by the next day.  It can't hurt to try it.

Karen

KAF
                                                                            Participant

hi

I got the bad itches after the first dose.  Tried all the menthol type lotions..they helped a little but I smelled horrible.  My girlfirend who is a pediatrician told me to ask my doc for a prescription for Atarax – its like a prescrption strength benadryl – no steroid.  My onoclogist hadn't considered using that but she gave me the prescription.  The rash was gone in 24hrs.  About 1 week later I got another rash flare up and again took the Atarax that morning and it was gone by the next day.  It can't hurt to try it.

Karen

KAF
                                                                              Participant

hi

Karen

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics