The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy side effects

Participant

My wife has completed four rounds of BioChemo and now three rounds of Yervoy with no side effects until now.  Diaherra for close to three weeks.  She is on Predisone.  Our question is diet.  She has tried BRAT diet with little effect.  Rice cakes seems to have cut it back soom.  Tried plain oatmeal this morning and that lasted a couple of hours.  But, I am out of ideas as far as meals.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

Sorry your wife is going through this.

i lived on poached egg and white toast.

hope this helps. 

Karen

NYKaren
          Participant

hope this helps. 

Karen

NYKaren
            Participant

hope this helps. 

Karen

POW
              Participant

It sounds like your wife's doctor needs to be more aggressive in fighting the side effects. I worry that diet alone will not solve the problems–you don't want this to develop into colitis. The product information for Yervoy has a lot of information about treating bowel inflammation and diaherra, so I suggest that you read that. I think they also have a nurse-monitored 24/7 hotline that you could call for more help.

She should probably be taking Immodium or a prescription anti-diahrreal medication along with the prednisone. Stronger steroids like dexemthazone or budesonide are also possible. And some people have have benefitted from Remicade, which is used for Crohn's disease.

Only your wife's doctor can tell which treatment or combination of treatments are right for your wife. But please don't think this is "only" diahrrea, if it gets out of control, the conequences can be serious.

POW
                Participant

It sounds like your wife's doctor needs to be more aggressive in fighting the side effects. I worry that diet alone will not solve the problems–you don't want this to develop into colitis. The product information for Yervoy has a lot of information about treating bowel inflammation and diaherra, so I suggest that you read that. I think they also have a nurse-monitored 24/7 hotline that you could call for more help.

She should probably be taking Immodium or a prescription anti-diahrreal medication along with the prednisone. Stronger steroids like dexemthazone or budesonide are also possible. And some people have have benefitted from Remicade, which is used for Crohn's disease.

Only your wife's doctor can tell which treatment or combination of treatments are right for your wife. But please don't think this is "only" diahrrea, if it gets out of control, the conequences can be serious.

POW
                  Participant

ecc26
                    Participant

I also had diarrhea with Yervoy. Mine tended to show up a couple days after each dose and would last for about 2 weeks, clearing up just in time for the next dose. At times it was pretty bad, and I had to submit stool samples for the dreaded blood indicating colitis, but my doctor never put me on steroids. I was managed with immodium mostly and tried to eat bland, constpating foods (rice, potato, bread, pasta, cheese, etc) I also feel like yogurt (a little, not a lot every other day) helped me some. If it's not pure liquid, you might try more of a liquid diet for a day or 2? I drank Boost brand protein shakes to try and maintain my protein intake wthout being hard on my gut, I'm sure you can find other "liquid meals" with vitamins and minerals, etc. It's not very fun, but reducing the solids content and "resting" the gut might help if nothing else is. 

I also can't say enough good things about home make chicken stock. I never used to be a big believer (even though I grew up eating nothing but home made everything), but last winter when I was being treated with IL2 (which is really, really difficult) I became a big convert. I had pretty severe colitis with each week of IL2 (and believe me when I say they almost didn't let me try Yervoy because of that). IL2 works differently than Yervoy, but I swear drinking 2 cups of my hot home made stock each day after my discharge from the hospital for 5 days or so shortened the recovery time for the colitis by at least 2-3 days. I think it helped that it has all the nutrition of chicken soup (protein, vitamins, minerals, etc) without the solids so there wasn't anything for my colon to try and deal with. Plus, it's just delicious.  

If you've never made home made stock I'd give it a try- let me know if you want a "recipe/technique". I've got a pot of beef stock bubbling away on the stove as we speak and made a batch of chicken stock last week. It freezes really well and you can just pull it out of the freezer when you want some. 

Anyway, that was a long tangent about good stock. I think other posters had good suggestions about asking more questions of your doctor and the Yervoy help line for other treatments. I've also read that it can be difficult to get under control though, so I don't think you're alone. 

Best of luck

-Eva

ecc26
                      Participant

I also had diarrhea with Yervoy. Mine tended to show up a couple days after each dose and would last for about 2 weeks, clearing up just in time for the next dose. At times it was pretty bad, and I had to submit stool samples for the dreaded blood indicating colitis, but my doctor never put me on steroids. I was managed with immodium mostly and tried to eat bland, constpating foods (rice, potato, bread, pasta, cheese, etc) I also feel like yogurt (a little, not a lot every other day) helped me some. If it's not pure liquid, you might try more of a liquid diet for a day or 2? I drank Boost brand protein shakes to try and maintain my protein intake wthout being hard on my gut, I'm sure you can find other "liquid meals" with vitamins and minerals, etc. It's not very fun, but reducing the solids content and "resting" the gut might help if nothing else is. 

I also can't say enough good things about home make chicken stock. I never used to be a big believer (even though I grew up eating nothing but home made everything), but last winter when I was being treated with IL2 (which is really, really difficult) I became a big convert. I had pretty severe colitis with each week of IL2 (and believe me when I say they almost didn't let me try Yervoy because of that). IL2 works differently than Yervoy, but I swear drinking 2 cups of my hot home made stock each day after my discharge from the hospital for 5 days or so shortened the recovery time for the colitis by at least 2-3 days. I think it helped that it has all the nutrition of chicken soup (protein, vitamins, minerals, etc) without the solids so there wasn't anything for my colon to try and deal with. Plus, it's just delicious.  

If you've never made home made stock I'd give it a try- let me know if you want a "recipe/technique". I've got a pot of beef stock bubbling away on the stove as we speak and made a batch of chicken stock last week. It freezes really well and you can just pull it out of the freezer when you want some. 

Anyway, that was a long tangent about good stock. I think other posters had good suggestions about asking more questions of your doctor and the Yervoy help line for other treatments. I've also read that it can be difficult to get under control though, so I don't think you're alone. 

Best of luck

-Eva

ecc26
                        Participant

Best of luck

-Eva

UrsulaZ
                          Participant

hi. I'm living this now (Yervoy colitis; on Prednisone)

Just wanting to reiterate POW's point that there likely isn't a diet that will improve the colitis very drastically. The worst-case scenario, as I'm sure you know, is a ruptured colon. If things are getting worse rather than better, make sure you make yourself available for the big guns! (there are stronger steroids than Prednisone).

My own diet features rice, pasta, and toast. Occasionally I'll have some chicken noodle soup (good for electrolytes) — though I'm sure it's not as tasty as Eva's — or some cooked sweet potato.

Lately I've expanded my diet a little bit, as I've realized that I'm going to have some degree of diarrhea whether I have a bit of butter on my pasta or not — so I'd might as well have tolerable pasta!! Know what I mean? 

I was worried about dehydration when my frequency was 10-15x/day, and was drinking Gatorade. But my trial nurse told me to stop that, as it's full of sugar, which is quite inflammatory for the gut lining. She said that chicken soup was better for electrolyte replacment. Just thought I'd pass that along. 

best of luck..

UrsulaZ
                              Participant

(Sorry — my post referred to you when I meant to refer to your wife).

UrsulaZ
                                Participant

UrsulaZ
                                  Participant

UrsulaZ
                                  Participant

Just wanting to reiterate POW's point that there likely isn't a diet that will improve the colitis very drastically. The worst-case scenario, as I'm sure you know, is a ruptured colon. If things are getting worse rather than better, make sure you make yourself available for the big guns! (there are stronger steroids than Prednisone).

My own diet features rice, pasta, and toast. Occasionally I'll have some chicken noodle soup (good for electrolytes) — though I'm sure it's not as tasty as Eva's — or some cooked sweet potato.

Lately I've expanded my diet a little bit, as I've realized that I'm going to have some degree of diarrhea whether I have a bit of butter on my pasta or not — so I'd might as well have tolerable pasta!! Know what I mean? 

I was worried about dehydration when my frequency was 10-15x/day, and was drinking Gatorade. But my trial nurse told me to stop that, as it's full of sugar, which is quite inflammatory for the gut lining. She said that chicken soup was better for electrolyte replacment. Just thought I'd pass that along. 

best of luck..

UrsulaZ
                                    Participant

best of luck..

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics