The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy question

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy question

Participant

I did the 30 day Hd interferon back in april with just a little fatigue as side effects and failed it..I just finished my last of 4 infusions of Yervoy Wed and have no side effects with it either..I've been reading about the Yervoy and most people are having crazy side effects and it's working for them..I am very worried that i'm not going to respond to it because of the lack of side effects..Has anyone responded to Yervoy with no side effects?..I won't have scans for 4 weeks…I'm stage 3 C

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        shanemcdonald99
        Participant

Hi

I have heard this also, but I think the side effects have more to do with the persons predisposition to autoimmune problems to begin with.

If a person has autoimmune related arthritis to begin with, then the chances of that type of side effect is good. If they have autoimmune related digestive problems, then they are more likely to have a side effect in the digestive area. This applies to other autoimmune reponses as well, including various allergic responses.

Doctors routinely treat autoimmune disorders with steroids and immune suppressant type drugs.

So, if you do not have any autoimmune related issues to begin with, then you may not have any side effects. In my opinion, this is a good thing and does not mean that you are not responding.

This is my opinion, but I have read similar thoughts by medical professionals as well.

I did not have any side effects except for fatigue and I just  finished yervoy as well.

shane

shanemcdonald99
          Participant

Hi

I have heard this also, but I think the side effects have more to do with the persons predisposition to autoimmune problems to begin with.

If a person has autoimmune related arthritis to begin with, then the chances of that type of side effect is good. If they have autoimmune related digestive problems, then they are more likely to have a side effect in the digestive area. This applies to other autoimmune reponses as well, including various allergic responses.

Doctors routinely treat autoimmune disorders with steroids and immune suppressant type drugs.

So, if you do not have any autoimmune related issues to begin with, then you may not have any side effects. In my opinion, this is a good thing and does not mean that you are not responding.

This is my opinion, but I have read similar thoughts by medical professionals as well.

I did not have any side effects except for fatigue and I just  finished yervoy as well.

shane

Ginger8888
              Participant

Thank you Shane..How are you doing, have you had post Yervoy scans yet???

shanemcdonald99
                Participant

Hi

I have not yet. I just finished and I forgot how long it will be for the scans !    lol

4 weeks for you ?

I did have to get an MRI on my spine tumors mid-treatment  because they are keeping a closer watch on those.

They were stable and had not grown at all, so the doctor thought that was good. 

Hope you are responding well !

regards

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                  Participant

Hi

I have not yet. I just finished and I forgot how long it will be for the scans !    lol

4 weeks for you ?

I did have to get an MRI on my spine tumors mid-treatment  because they are keeping a closer watch on those.

regards

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                    Participant

Hi

4 weeks for you ?

regards

Shane

Ginger8888
                      Participant

Thanks Shane, i hope things go well for you too, i guess i'll find out in 4 weeks!! Best of luck to ya!

Ginger8888
                        Participant

Thanks Shane, i hope things go well for you too, i guess i'll find out in 4 weeks!! Best of luck to ya!

Ginger8888
                          Participant

Ginger8888
                            Participant

Ginger8888
                              Participant

kalisama
                                Participant

Thank you for this perspective Shane. I had never heard this and it makes so much sense. I responded with every possible side effect to Zelbarof, especially arthritic symptoms, while others my onc were treating did not. When I look at it through this perspective, this now makes a lot of sense as I have a history of RA, and other similar conditions in my family.

Best of health to you,
                                  kali

kalisama
                                  Participant

Thank you for this perspective Shane. I had never heard this and it makes so much sense. I responded with every possible side effect to Zelbarof, especially arthritic symptoms, while others my onc were treating did not. When I look at it through this perspective, this now makes a lot of sense as I have a history of RA, and other similar conditions in my family.

Best of health to you,
                                    kali

kalisama
                                    Participant

Best of health to you,
                                      kali

shanemcdonald99
                                    Participant

Hi

shane

ed williams
                                      Participant

Ginger, I had a question for you about getting Yervoy. You said that you are stage  3 and were on Interferon for one year. When did they switch you to Yervoy and why?

ed williams
                                        Participant

Ginger, I had a question for you about getting Yervoy. You said that you are stage  3 and were on Interferon for one year. When did they switch you to Yervoy and why?

Ginger8888
                                            Participant

I am stage 3 C and only did the 30 day HD interferon..My scans about a week after doing interferon showed my spots on my lungs showing up a little brighter so i was switched to yervoy and just finished it last wed.My Dr didn't believe the interferon was going to work for me..

Ginger8888
                                              Participant

I am stage 3 C and only did the 30 day HD interferon..My scans about a week after doing interferon showed my spots on my lungs showing up a little brighter so i was switched to yervoy and just finished it last wed.My Dr didn't believe the interferon was going to work for me..

jualonso
                                                Participant

Hi Ginger,

First i hope you have success with ipi, just it needs time to work.

The second thing, and as far as i know, if you have spots in your lungs, does not it means you are stage iv?

Juan

jualonso
                                                  Participant

Hi Ginger,

The second thing, and as far as i know, if you have spots in your lungs, does not it means you are stage iv?

Juan

Ginger8888
                                                    Participant

Thanks Juan, i asked the Dr if finding those spots moved me up to stage iv and he said no,,Said they were to small to really tell if they were melanoma or not..Couldn't biopsy because of the size of them..

Ginger8888
                                                      Participant

Thanks Juan, i asked the Dr if finding those spots moved me up to stage iv and he said no,,Said they were to small to really tell if they were melanoma or not..Couldn't biopsy because of the size of them..

Ginger8888
                                                        Participant

jualonso
                                                          Participant

Hi Ginger,

Juan

Ginger8888
                                                            Participant

ed williams
                                                            Participant

RJoeyB
                                                              Participant

Some studies have noted some correlation between the occurrence of immune-related side effects and a response to Yervoy / ipi / ipilimumab, but I'm not aware of any hard data or studies that are solely focused on it, e.g. nothing that says that X percent of patients who experience one or more of the following side effects will also have a response to ipi.  These side effects are commonly referred to in medical literature as "immune-related adverse effects", or irAE's.  There are many examples here and elsewhere of folks who have breezed through a full course of 4 Yervoy treatments with little to no adverse effects and then had a great response, and others who were either unable to complete a full course or struggled to get to 4 doses with the need for multiple inerventions for multiple irAE's, but then didn't have a response.  

It might be an odd way to look at, but a disease response itself could be lumped together with all the other irAE's as one of the many ways a Yervoy reaction is manifested by the immune system, and really, that's the only response you need.  It really is a double-edged sword with all of these immunotherapies, from ipi to anti-PD-1, IL-2, TIL, etc…  we want to see the immune system respond, but not so strong in a way that we have to delay or stop treatment.

But to answer your question in short, yes, there are many responders who have had few or no side effects.

Hope that helps, Joe

RJoeyB
                                                                Participant

Some studies have noted some correlation between the occurrence of immune-related side effects and a response to Yervoy / ipi / ipilimumab, but I'm not aware of any hard data or studies that are solely focused on it, e.g. nothing that says that X percent of patients who experience one or more of the following side effects will also have a response to ipi.  These side effects are commonly referred to in medical literature as "immune-related adverse effects", or irAE's.  There are many examples here and elsewhere of folks who have breezed through a full course of 4 Yervoy treatments with little to no adverse effects and then had a great response, and others who were either unable to complete a full course or struggled to get to 4 doses with the need for multiple inerventions for multiple irAE's, but then didn't have a response.  

It might be an odd way to look at, but a disease response itself could be lumped together with all the other irAE's as one of the many ways a Yervoy reaction is manifested by the immune system, and really, that's the only response you need.  It really is a double-edged sword with all of these immunotherapies, from ipi to anti-PD-1, IL-2, TIL, etc…  we want to see the immune system respond, but not so strong in a way that we have to delay or stop treatment.

But to answer your question in short, yes, there are many responders who have had few or no side effects.

Hope that helps, Joe

RJoeyB
                                                                  Participant

Hope that helps, Joe

Ginger8888
                                                                      Participant

Thanks Joe, i'm done with Yervoy and doing scans in 4 weeks, hopefully it's working..

Ginger8888
                                                                        Participant

Thanks Joe, i'm done with Yervoy and doing scans in 4 weeks, hopefully it's working..

Ginger8888
                                                                          Participant

buffcody
                                                                            Participant

A study of  198 patients in Germany between 2010 and 2013 who had had previous treatment for their melanoma.  One of the results was "immune-related adverse events (irAE) were reported in 30% of all treated patients.  The occurence of irAE correlated significantly with the probability of response to therapy (ipi) and prolonged OS (overall survival).

buffcody
                                                                              Participant

A study of  198 patients in Germany between 2010 and 2013 who had had previous treatment for their melanoma.  One of the results was "immune-related adverse events (irAE) were reported in 30% of all treated patients.  The occurence of irAE correlated significantly with the probability of response to therapy (ipi) and prolonged OS (overall survival).

buffcody
                                                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics