The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

YERVOY OR ZELBORAF

Forums General Melanoma Community YERVOY OR ZELBORAF

Participant

I need some knowledgable information on which of these treatments I should choose to do? I was told that the Yervoy has a curative rate of approx 20% while Zelboraf is not.

We are waiting to see what the insurance will cover but my doctor told me to do some research and make a decision on which I prefer.

i am BRAF positive

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jualonso
        Participant

Im so sorry what you are going through.

Is very difficult decision, just what i can give you is a piece of advice.

If dont have a high burden tumor i would choose yervoy, is slower but you can get longer response (im not agree 20% curative). There are around 20% respose and an small percentage very long responses. No data about curative effect.

In the other case i would choose Tanfilar/mekinist instead of zelboraf, is more effective and less side effects. You have to know that there are aound 20% of people taking this combo i recommended you are also long survivors, they are 3,4 years and kick in. And no one knows how long the can be on this drugs.

Good luck, take a decision and not look back

Juan

Kdw2012
            Participant

Juan,

thank you for your help. There are so many decisions to be made and appointments and insurance issues. The Yervoy is what I want to do and I am hoping there are no issues with the insurance approving this, but the cost is so high.

Kdw2012
              Participant

Juan,

thank you for your help. There are so many decisions to be made and appointments and insurance issues. The Yervoy is what I want to do and I am hoping there are no issues with the insurance approving this, but the cost is so high.

Kdw2012
                Participant

Juan,

jualonso
                Participant

If dont have a high burden tumor i would choose yervoy, is slower but you can get longer response (im not agree 20% curative). There are around 20% respose and an small percentage very long responses. No data about curative effect.

In the other case i would choose Tanfilar/mekinist instead of zelboraf, is more effective and less side effects. You have to know that there are aound 20% of people taking this combo i recommended you are also long survivors, they are 3,4 years and kick in. And no one knows how long the can be on this drugs.

Juan

jualonso
                  Participant

Juan

hannahcopeland1
                    Participant

i would suggest ipi first. you really dont know in the grand scheme of things what will happen and what works in what order best. but this is my experience…

I did the opposite. zelboraf 1st and then ipi. zelboraf helped me a lot for a few months and then it stopped working and my lung mets grew right back. it was really upsetting for me, bc the side effects are harsh. i had to go down to 6 pills daily instead of 8.

ipi side effects are way more manageable. all ive experienced are a few rashes and fatigue.

if you have a side effect from a tumor bc of its size, then doing zel first is a good idea, bc it acts fast if it does work. for instance, i had a dibilitating cough that cleared up right away after starting zel. came back after stopping, but now on ipi, it is manageable again although it took a little longer. 

i am waiting for my scans next week to see how the entire cycle of ipi has affected the tumors in my body and brain. so we shall see. 

but i think it would be comforting to know i still had zelboraf as an option. who knows maybe it will be. ive heard things like if you go off zel for a while and start again it may work again… dunno if thats true!

good luck. no easy decisions. 

thants just my humble opinin!

H

hannahcopeland1
                      Participant

i would suggest ipi first. you really dont know in the grand scheme of things what will happen and what works in what order best. but this is my experience…

I did the opposite. zelboraf 1st and then ipi. zelboraf helped me a lot for a few months and then it stopped working and my lung mets grew right back. it was really upsetting for me, bc the side effects are harsh. i had to go down to 6 pills daily instead of 8.

ipi side effects are way more manageable. all ive experienced are a few rashes and fatigue.

if you have a side effect from a tumor bc of its size, then doing zel first is a good idea, bc it acts fast if it does work. for instance, i had a dibilitating cough that cleared up right away after starting zel. came back after stopping, but now on ipi, it is manageable again although it took a little longer. 

i am waiting for my scans next week to see how the entire cycle of ipi has affected the tumors in my body and brain. so we shall see. 

but i think it would be comforting to know i still had zelboraf as an option. who knows maybe it will be. ive heard things like if you go off zel for a while and start again it may work again… dunno if thats true!

H

hannahcopeland1
                        Participant

H

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Those are standard options. You could also start with a trial.

In my opinion it depends on your tumor burden and how fast you need to see results. If you are doing ok now then I would do Yervoy. If you need to do BRAF then you should do the Tafinlar/Mekenist combo because the side affects are usually less severe than Zelboraf.

I did Zelboraf, Yervoy, Tafinlar/Mekenist and now on Merck's PD1. The reason they had me do Zelboraf first is because of immediate need to prevent paralysis due to spine tumor.

Also if I could start again I would instead go to Moffit in Tampa and do one of his vaccine/pd1 trials.

Kdw2012
                              Participant

Thank you all. I am doing well right now and I do believe that the Yervoy is the way I want to go, hoping that insurance approves it and I can move forward with the least amount of side effects.

Kdw2012
                                Participant

Thank you all. I am doing well right now and I do believe that the Yervoy is the way I want to go, hoping that insurance approves it and I can move forward with the least amount of side effects.

Kdw2012
                                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

In my opinion it depends on your tumor burden and how fast you need to see results. If you are doing ok now then I would do Yervoy. If you need to do BRAF then you should do the Tafinlar/Mekenist combo because the side affects are usually less severe than Zelboraf.

I did Zelboraf, Yervoy, Tafinlar/Mekenist and now on Merck's PD1. The reason they had me do Zelboraf first is because of immediate need to prevent paralysis due to spine tumor.

Also if I could start again I would instead go to Moffit in Tampa and do one of his vaccine/pd1 trials.

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics