The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy insurance coverage question

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy insurance coverage question

Participant

After 2 year NED my husband is now stage 4.  A needle biopsy confirmed metastatic melanoma in the lung.  The oncologist is recommending Yervoy.  Mike has Medicare and supplemental coverage with AARP, plan F.  I know that Medicare will cover 80% of the drug cost but I do not know if the supplemental insurance covers this type of drug/treatment.  Was hoping someone on this board may have the answer.  I do plan to call the insurance in the morning but wanted to find out if someone else has a similar insurance situation.  Thank you in advance for any help you

After 2 year NED my husband is now stage 4.  A needle biopsy confirmed metastatic melanoma in the lung.  The oncologist is recommending Yervoy.  Mike has Medicare and supplemental coverage with AARP, plan F.  I know that Medicare will cover 80% of the drug cost but I do not know if the supplemental insurance covers this type of drug/treatment.  Was hoping someone on this board may have the answer.  I do plan to call the insurance in the morning but wanted to find out if someone else has a similar insurance situation.  Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        bruski1959
        Participant

We don't have this situation, but our insurance company is getting billed US$ 36.000 per dose, and the insurance company paid out just over $22,000, which is the negotiated rate with the specialty pharmacy company. We didn't have any out of pocket expense as we have already met our deductible and out of pocket maximum for the year. There is a Yervoy co-pay program for people with commercial insurance. From the yervoy.com website Paying for Yervoy http://www.yervoy.com/patient/paying-for-yervoy.aspx there is a question/answer that might be of help for you:

Can you help me if I don't qualify for the YERVOY Co-Pay Program?

Bristol-Myers Squibb is committed to helping support access to YERVOY.

Your oncologist can work with Destination Access™ counselors to identify other potential programs if you do not qualify for the YERVOY Co-Pay Program. Your oncologist can contact Destination Access™ by phone at 1-800-861-0048, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
          Bruce

Lucassi
            Participant

Bruce, thank you so much for providing this information.  It is very helpful and I will share it with the oncologist. 

Sigrid

Lucassi
              Participant

Bruce, thank you so much for providing this information.  It is very helpful and I will share it with the oncologist. 

Sigrid

Lucassi
                Participant

Sigrid

bruski1959
                Participant

We don't have this situation, but our insurance company is getting billed US$ 36.000 per dose, and the insurance company paid out just over $22,000, which is the negotiated rate with the specialty pharmacy company. We didn't have any out of pocket expense as we have already met our deductible and out of pocket maximum for the year. There is a Yervoy co-pay program for people with commercial insurance. From the yervoy.com website Paying for Yervoy http://www.yervoy.com/patient/paying-for-yervoy.aspx there is a question/answer that might be of help for you:

Your oncologist can work with Destination Access™ counselors to identify other potential programs if you do not qualify for the YERVOY Co-Pay Program. Your oncologist can contact Destination Access™ by phone at 1-800-861-0048, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
                  Bruce

bruski1959
                  Participant

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
                    Bruce

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics