The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy-FDA approval–what stages??

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy-FDA approval–what stages??

Participant

Hi,

I am stage 3c unresectable.

I am concerned that if my doctor prescribes Yervoy for me, my insurance company, Blue Shield Of CA. will not approve it??

Has the FDA approved Yervoy for stage 3C unresectable??? Anyone get approval from their insurance co. for Yervoy that are Stage 3C.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply.

Nancy

Hi,

I am stage 3c unresectable.

I am concerned that if my doctor prescribes Yervoy for me, my insurance company, Blue Shield Of CA. will not approve it??

Has the FDA approved Yervoy for stage 3C unresectable??? Anyone get approval from their insurance co. for Yervoy that are Stage 3C.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply.

Nancy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Read NYKaren's profile. It looks like she was stage 3 when she did Yervoy.

Dynasysman
            Participant

Yervoy is approved for Stage 3 unresectable.  I am aware of situations where it has been approved; unaware of any where it has not.  Hope this helps.

NYKaren
              Participant

Sorry, meant to say 3C.

NYKaren
                Participant

Sorry, meant to say 3C.

Dynasysman
                  Participant

Yervoy is approved for Stage 3 unresectable.  I am aware of situations where it has been approved; unaware of any where it has not.  Hope this helps.

lhaley
                  Participant

Read NYKaren's profile. It looks like she was stage 3 when she did Yervoy.

washoegal
                    Participant

Nancy,

I have BC/BS and  I have been denied for a few different thing and each time I and the doc took the time to appeal Bc/BS backed down.   Once on basis of medical necessity; the other on the fact that I had already tried all the cheaper alternatives they suggested and they had failed.  So even if they deny you request, which I have not heard of, don't take no for an answer.  They like to toss it out there and see if it works.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                      Participant

Nancy,

I have BC/BS and  I have been denied for a few different thing and each time I and the doc took the time to appeal Bc/BS backed down.   Once on basis of medical necessity; the other on the fact that I had already tried all the cheaper alternatives they suggested and they had failed.  So even if they deny you request, which I have not heard of, don't take no for an answer.  They like to toss it out there and see if it works.

Mary

Stage 3

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Without looking it up again, My memory says stage 3c unresectable, and Stage IV.   I seem to have  lost the FDA approval URL.

NYKaren
                            Participant

Hi, yes, exactly what Jerry said.  Stages III unresectable and IV.

Empire BC/BS must have a negotiated price w/Sloan Kettering for the Yervoy, because of the $40,000+ charged per infusion, they paid $23,000 and I was not responsible for any.  There was no issue, as when the hospital first went for prior-approval, they were told "no prior-approval necessary for chemo."  this was when it was first FDA approved, I wonder what they say now?

Best of luck,

karen

NYKaren
                              Participant

Hi, yes, exactly what Jerry said.  Stages III unresectable and IV.

Empire BC/BS must have a negotiated price w/Sloan Kettering for the Yervoy, because of the $40,000+ charged per infusion, they paid $23,000 and I was not responsible for any.  There was no issue, as when the hospital first went for prior-approval, they were told "no prior-approval necessary for chemo."  this was when it was first FDA approved, I wonder what they say now?

Best of luck,

karen

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Without looking it up again, My memory says stage 3c unresectable, and Stage IV.   I seem to have  lost the FDA approval URL.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics