The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

yervoy fatigue and muscle weakness

Forums General Melanoma Community yervoy fatigue and muscle weakness

Participant

does anyone have experience with yervoy muscle weakness and fatigue? both hit my husband hard after the 3rd does and now after the 4th even more. His legs just give out on him. How long do these side effects last? I can't find info on this anywhere?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

When my brother was first diagnosed with melanoma, he already had 4 brain mets. The largest (2 cm x 3 cm) was in the left parietal region. This caused brain swelling and stroke-like symptoms of speech aphasia, short term memory problems and right side weakness, especially his right leg. A steroid (dexamthazone) immediately eased the symptoms and after WBR and Zelboraf things got better. He was always very fatigued, though, and I don't know whether that was due to the tumors or to the Zelboraf.

He eventually became resistant to the Zelboraf and that brain tumor started growing again (plus some new ones). He again had aphasia and right side weakness and kept falling. He got one dose of ipi (Yervoy) and 3 days later went into a neurological crisis. His doctor thought that it might be because the Yervoy-activated T cells had gotten into his brain and surrounded the tumors (which is good) but also caused the brain to swell (which is bad). He was again given high dose dexamethazone and again that eased his symptoms. Steroids, of course, don't cure melanoma and at the time there were no other reasonable treatment options. 

So I'm just wondering if a good response to Yervoy is causing your husband's weakness and fatigue. I wonder if steriods would help him. A brain MRI with and without contrast might be able to pinpoint the problem. 

Brent Morris
            Participant

Dear Anonymous   Fatigue and muscle weakness are some of the most common side effects of Yervoy. They do resolve over a period of weeks. Unless the weakness is more on one side than the other or involves for instance one limb, it is not a sign of a brain problem. Steroids are not used to treatment fatique and muscle weakness. In fact high dose steroids can be a cause of fatique and muscle weakness. Problems with the thyroid or adrenal gland can be associated with Yervoy and cause fatique and weakness. Usually those gland functions are monitored during therapy with Yervoy. You should ask your doctor about those tests (for thyroid and adrenal function).

Dear POW   The story of what your brother (and you) went through is heart wrenching. I hope never to face that myself. I am sure that every posting on this site brings back those events. With time maybe the pain will ease.UwiDi

Brent Morris
              Participant

Dear Anonymous   Fatigue and muscle weakness are some of the most common side effects of Yervoy. They do resolve over a period of weeks. Unless the weakness is more on one side than the other or involves for instance one limb, it is not a sign of a brain problem. Steroids are not used to treatment fatique and muscle weakness. In fact high dose steroids can be a cause of fatique and muscle weakness. Problems with the thyroid or adrenal gland can be associated with Yervoy and cause fatique and weakness. Usually those gland functions are monitored during therapy with Yervoy. You should ask your doctor about those tests (for thyroid and adrenal function).

Dear POW   The story of what your brother (and you) went through is heart wrenching. I hope never to face that myself. I am sure that every posting on this site brings back those events. With time maybe the pain will ease.UwiDi

Brent Morris
                Participant

POW
                Participant

When my brother was first diagnosed with melanoma, he already had 4 brain mets. The largest (2 cm x 3 cm) was in the left parietal region. This caused brain swelling and stroke-like symptoms of speech aphasia, short term memory problems and right side weakness, especially his right leg. A steroid (dexamthazone) immediately eased the symptoms and after WBR and Zelboraf things got better. He was always very fatigued, though, and I don't know whether that was due to the tumors or to the Zelboraf.

He eventually became resistant to the Zelboraf and that brain tumor started growing again (plus some new ones). He again had aphasia and right side weakness and kept falling. He got one dose of ipi (Yervoy) and 3 days later went into a neurological crisis. His doctor thought that it might be because the Yervoy-activated T cells had gotten into his brain and surrounded the tumors (which is good) but also caused the brain to swell (which is bad). He was again given high dose dexamethazone and again that eased his symptoms. Steroids, of course, don't cure melanoma and at the time there were no other reasonable treatment options. 

So I'm just wondering if a good response to Yervoy is causing your husband's weakness and fatigue. I wonder if steriods would help him. A brain MRI with and without contrast might be able to pinpoint the problem. 

POW
                  Participant

LuckyMan51
                    Participant

I can't speak to muscle weakness but do know that Yervoy definitely causes fatigue. I just finished up my second four infusion cycle a week ago. I was a bit tired during the first cycle but it passed a few weeks after. I am much more tired during this second cycle and can fall asleep anywhere. Annoying but nothing that a nap can't fix and it certainly beats the alternative. This should pass as well in a few weeks. I am surprised you didn't mention the itching as that is a very common side effect.  Definitely report every side effect to your Oncologist as they need to know everything as it's happening. 

LuckyMan51
                      Participant

I can't speak to muscle weakness but do know that Yervoy definitely causes fatigue. I just finished up my second four infusion cycle a week ago. I was a bit tired during the first cycle but it passed a few weeks after. I am much more tired during this second cycle and can fall asleep anywhere. Annoying but nothing that a nap can't fix and it certainly beats the alternative. This should pass as well in a few weeks. I am surprised you didn't mention the itching as that is a very common side effect.  Definitely report every side effect to your Oncologist as they need to know everything as it's happening. 

LuckyMan51
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics