The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy and mucosal melanoma?

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Yervoy and mucosal melanoma?

Participant

Does anyone have any idea of how effective yervoy is with mucosal melanoma?  Links to current research and/or personal experience would be much appreciated.  I am having a hard time finding anything about this.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

I have not been able to find any statistics on Ipi (Yervoy) specific to any particular mutation.  Mucosal melanoma is not just one type.  My mucosal is C-kit.  The across the eboard response in around 20-25 % positive for all mutations lumped togeether.  The IL-2 immunotheropy was reported in Dec by the NIH to have a 47% positive response rate against NRAS melanoma mutations.  if one has the C-kit exon 11 mutation, Gleevec (Imatinb Mesylate) and others on that line (against other c-kit exon mutations) have recently been found to be an effective cytostatic treatment to often stop ones melnoma advance.  I have been essentially stable on Gleeved since March 2009. 

I know one person that has the anal mucosal c-kit exon 11 mutation that had several recurances and then had the Yervoy immunotherapy treatments.  She had to go in the hospital twice, for a month each time, due to extremely bad side effects.  Her tumors did respond to the Yervoy.  She then developed brain tumors which were removed with SRS.

CHD
            Participant

Thanks Jerry.  It sounds like you've had a great response to Gleevec!  The person I am thinking about doesn't have the BRAF or CKIT mutation, I don't know about NRAS.  It does get complicated with all the mutations – exciting though that it is making such a difference in treatment possibilities. 

CHD
              Participant

Thanks Jerry.  It sounds like you've had a great response to Gleevec!  The person I am thinking about doesn't have the BRAF or CKIT mutation, I don't know about NRAS.  It does get complicated with all the mutations – exciting though that it is making such a difference in treatment possibilities. 

CHD
                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

I have not been able to find any statistics on Ipi (Yervoy) specific to any particular mutation.  Mucosal melanoma is not just one type.  My mucosal is C-kit.  The across the eboard response in around 20-25 % positive for all mutations lumped togeether.  The IL-2 immunotheropy was reported in Dec by the NIH to have a 47% positive response rate against NRAS melanoma mutations.  if one has the C-kit exon 11 mutation, Gleevec (Imatinb Mesylate) and others on that line (against other c-kit exon mutations) have recently been found to be an effective cytostatic treatment to often stop ones melnoma advance.  I have been essentially stable on Gleeved since March 2009. 

I know one person that has the anal mucosal c-kit exon 11 mutation that had several recurances and then had the Yervoy immunotherapy treatments.  She had to go in the hospital twice, for a month each time, due to extremely bad side effects.  Her tumors did respond to the Yervoy.  She then developed brain tumors which were removed with SRS.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics