The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy and elevated liver enzymes

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy and elevated liver enzymes

Participant

Can anyone answer question I have about Ipi and LFT?  Larry had 2 infusions and was supposed to have third today. Cancer center called and said lft was not where they wanted it to be. Doctor is out of town so cannot talk to him until next week. I got a copy of lab work and ALT was465 AST was 318 every thing else was normal range. They are redoing labwork next Tuesday.

Can anyone answer question I have about Ipi and LFT?  Larry had 2 infusions and was supposed to have third today. Cancer center called and said lft was not where they wanted it to be. Doctor is out of town so cannot talk to him until next week. I got a copy of lab work and ALT was465 AST was 318 every thing else was normal range. They are redoing labwork next Tuesday.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        G-Samsa
        Participant
          I am in a Ipi/anti-pd1 trial. My AST (only) spiked just before a treatment– from normal to above 200. Drs thought it best for me to take Prednisone — with a short term (a week or so) taper– and skip the treatment. When the level returned to the normal range I was been able to continue treatment without dramatic swing in AST level–Dr was not convinced my event was entirely immunotherapy related. I know this is not exactly analogous– but may have some interest as you consider the broader experience of others who may respond to your query.

G-Samsa
          Participant
            I am in a Ipi/anti-pd1 trial. My AST (only) spiked just before a treatment– from normal to above 200. Drs thought it best for me to take Prednisone — with a short term (a week or so) taper– and skip the treatment. When the level returned to the normal range I was been able to continue treatment without dramatic swing in AST level–Dr was not convinced my event was entirely immunotherapy related. I know this is not exactly analogous– but may have some interest as you consider the broader experience of others who may respond to your query.

G-Samsa
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

It's frustrating when your doc is not available and your left hanging wondering what something means, that's going on in your body. There are 2 oncologists where I go so one can back the other up when one is away.

I don't know what the numbers you're seeing might mean. By comparison, my numbers during my IPI cycles in 2011 stayed in the normal range:
                AST: 25, 20, 24, 22 (u/l)
                ALT: 20, 17, 17, 17 (u/l)

I did get a set of spikes, once, but it was about a year after my last immunotherapy treatment, IPI:
                AST: spiked from 27 to 225
                LDH: spiked from 146 to 456
                ALT: spiked from 22 to 85

Your AST (318) is  a bit higher than my spike (225), and your ALT (465) is 5x higher than my spike (85). Also, since your numbers are in the middle of some IPI cycles, I definitely don't know what that might mean.

For my spikes, a week or so later they were back to normal when my oncologist re-tested my blood. One unusual thing I did a couple of days before the first blood test is was some weight training (and for the first time). I was still quite sore at the point the blood was drawn. Other than that, the spikes I saw weren't really explainable.

Let us know what you find out. I hope you're able to continue when your doc gets back.
                -Kyle

kylez
                Participant

It's frustrating when your doc is not available and your left hanging wondering what something means, that's going on in your body. There are 2 oncologists where I go so one can back the other up when one is away.

I don't know what the numbers you're seeing might mean. By comparison, my numbers during my IPI cycles in 2011 stayed in the normal range:

I did get a set of spikes, once, but it was about a year after my last immunotherapy treatment, IPI:

Your AST (318) is  a bit higher than my spike (225), and your ALT (465) is 5x higher than my spike (85). Also, since your numbers are in the middle of some IPI cycles, I definitely don't know what that might mean.

For my spikes, a week or so later they were back to normal when my oncologist re-tested my blood. One unusual thing I did a couple of days before the first blood test is was some weight training (and for the first time). I was still quite sore at the point the blood was drawn. Other than that, the spikes I saw weren't really explainable.

Let us know what you find out. I hope you're able to continue when your doc gets back.
                  -Kyle

kylez
                  Participant

-Kyle

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics