The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy ADDED to Zelboraf plus radiation?

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy ADDED to Zelboraf plus radiation?

Participant

Hi all.  I completed Yervoy last spring and have been on Zelboraf for 7 months.  I was just refused entry into a PD-1 trial at Sloane due to brain mets which Bristol Myers Squibb claims are active.  My docs and radiation consultants disagree but I guess the drug companies get to make that decision. other mets in my stomach and knee seem to be showing some indication that my body may be building up a resistance to the Zel.

Hi all.  I completed Yervoy last spring and have been on Zelboraf for 7 months.  I was just refused entry into a PD-1 trial at Sloane due to brain mets which Bristol Myers Squibb claims are active.  My docs and radiation consultants disagree but I guess the drug companies get to make that decision. other mets in my stomach and knee seem to be showing some indication that my body may be building up a resistance to the Zel.

Anyway, my onc now wants to continue with the zelboraf, re-introduce yervoy along with it and also add some radiation.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I've tried to do some research but couldn't come up with much.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FrankD-Brooklyn

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        pipes
        Participant

My husband has been taking Zelboraf and Yervoy together for about 18 months now.  He gets the Yervoy every 12 weeks and currently takes Zelboraf 2 pills twice a day, he was on three pills twice a day but choose to decrease to help with side effects.  He has been NED for 15 months.  He has scan on Monday to see how he is doing.  Side effects of the two combine can be rough.  Some days he feels drain and has little energy but other days he feel sbetter.  He can get very itchy after the Yervoy along with some nausea and dizziness.   About 10 days after infusion he gets IV fluids to help with nausea and dizziness which seems to help.  His labs have been good with the combination but I knw they were having problem swith the clincal trial with liver labs being off and causing some issues.  My husband has not had any brain mets and has not had radiation.

fdess056
            Participant

Thanks for the response.  I am completing my final dose of vervoy on 5/8 and have remained on full dose zelboraf (960 mg twice a day)..  I am also steroids.  Knee met did grow and had to be romoved.  Radiation starts this Thurs.    Unfortuanely,during knee surgery, brain mets seem to have grown and are affecting my vivion.  I willl be re=evaluated this Wed by the Brain Tumor team.   I have some heafdaches and a lot of weakness but am hanging intgere. Best of luck to  you and your husband

FranD Brooklyn

fdess056
              Participant

Thanks for the response.  I am completing my final dose of vervoy on 5/8 and have remained on full dose zelboraf (960 mg twice a day)..  I am also steroids.  Knee met did grow and had to be romoved.  Radiation starts this Thurs.    Unfortuanely,during knee surgery, brain mets seem to have grown and are affecting my vivion.  I willl be re=evaluated this Wed by the Brain Tumor team.   I have some heafdaches and a lot of weakness but am hanging intgere. Best of luck to  you and your husband

FranD Brooklyn

fdess056
                Participant

FranD Brooklyn

pipes
                Participant

My husband has been taking Zelboraf and Yervoy together for about 18 months now.  He gets the Yervoy every 12 weeks and currently takes Zelboraf 2 pills twice a day, he was on three pills twice a day but choose to decrease to help with side effects.  He has been NED for 15 months.  He has scan on Monday to see how he is doing.  Side effects of the two combine can be rough.  Some days he feels drain and has little energy but other days he feel sbetter.  He can get very itchy after the Yervoy along with some nausea and dizziness.   About 10 days after infusion he gets IV fluids to help with nausea and dizziness which seems to help.  His labs have been good with the combination but I knw they were having problem swith the clincal trial with liver labs being off and causing some issues.  My husband has not had any brain mets and has not had radiation.

pipes
                  Participant

kylez
                    Participant

Frank, I can't answer the quetion you've posed, because I have had IPI once, never Zel, never re-introduced IPI. Have had Gamma and Cyber Knife to brain.

But, the following would be a different question — have you looked into either of the Merck MK-3475 trials? (another anti-PD1 drug) Phase I and Phase II.  Maybe they'd have a different take than BMS on how to judge brain mets as stable.

See this posting on the MIF site: http://www.z2systems.com/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34105
                      You can directly email Catherine Poole there as the posting states. She's keeping track (with patients, clinicians, pharma, advocates, etc.) of a list of sites actually offering this trial and likely has some of the most up-to-date info there is. From the less up-to-date clinicaltrials.gov, the phase II trial has a location in Hackensack NJ. While there's a chemo arm in the phase II trial, I believe there's a crossover if there's progression for those on the chemo arm. 

You might want to post this on the main Forum here at MPIP, as this is the off-topic forum.

Hoping you get a plan in place that you're comfortable with. – Kyle

kylez
                      Participant

Frank, I can't answer the quetion you've posed, because I have had IPI once, never Zel, never re-introduced IPI. Have had Gamma and Cyber Knife to brain.

But, the following would be a different question — have you looked into either of the Merck MK-3475 trials? (another anti-PD1 drug) Phase I and Phase II.  Maybe they'd have a different take than BMS on how to judge brain mets as stable.

See this posting on the MIF site: http://www.z2systems.com/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34105
                        You can directly email Catherine Poole there as the posting states. She's keeping track (with patients, clinicians, pharma, advocates, etc.) of a list of sites actually offering this trial and likely has some of the most up-to-date info there is. From the less up-to-date clinicaltrials.gov, the phase II trial has a location in Hackensack NJ. While there's a chemo arm in the phase II trial, I believe there's a crossover if there's progression for those on the chemo arm. 

You might want to post this on the main Forum here at MPIP, as this is the off-topic forum.

kylez
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics