The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy

Participant

My sister's cancer came back and unfortunately it came back hard. It spread to spine and brain. She is getting brain and spine radiation and yestrday was her first Yervoy treatment. I would like to know about other's experience so that we can accomodate her as much as possible. Doctors are not being very positve. They are giving her weeks to live, but we are keep hope!

My sister's cancer came back and unfortunately it came back hard. It spread to spine and brain. She is getting brain and spine radiation and yestrday was her first Yervoy treatment. I would like to know about other's experience so that we can accomodate her as much as possible. Doctors are not being very positve. They are giving her weeks to live, but we are keep hope!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I'm sorry you are not getting much response to this.  May be because there is no profile filled out and it is difficult to give an intelligent answer without more information.  You might try doing a search on this site under  " Help with Ippi side effects" or "Ippi Rash" or similar variations. (Try both Ippi and Yervoy)  Ippi works very differently in people so it is hard to tell you one easy answer or a list of things.  I am  assuming your sister is not BRAF positive or they would have gone that route first since that works faster and it appears time is not in your favor. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

acortes
            Participant

Im sorry I am new to this and did not know where to create a profile. My sister is not BRAF positive. Everyday I see her get worse and worse.

acortes
              Participant

Im sorry I am new to this and did not know where to create a profile. My sister is not BRAF positive. Everyday I see her get worse and worse.

acortes
                Participant

washoegal
                Participant

I'm sorry you are not getting much response to this.  May be because there is no profile filled out and it is difficult to give an intelligent answer without more information.  You might try doing a search on this site under  " Help with Ippi side effects" or "Ippi Rash" or similar variations. (Try both Ippi and Yervoy)  Ippi works very differently in people so it is hard to tell you one easy answer or a list of things.  I am  assuming your sister is not BRAF positive or they would have gone that route first since that works faster and it appears time is not in your favor. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Swanee
                    Participant

Sorry to hear of your sister's recurrence of melanoma.   If you hang long enough on this web site…you will see that many have been given a scary diagnosis and have gone on to live extraordinary lives.  I sympathize with  doctors as they have a fine line between truth and hope……it is up to the patient to find their own pathway.  That being said, please advocate for your sister's survival and don't take anything but a positive, hopeful approach.  We are all dealing with different time frames and no one has the same circumstances.  I do believe that if you are not in a melanoma treatment center you should find one or get second opinions as quickly as possible.  Even on this web site, I read entries from patients that are using old treatments who may be in more isolated areas.  Unfortunately, we are not all located near major melanoma treatment centers.  I remember when I first learned of my melanoma diagnosis and the lack of information that was given to me.  My doctor told me "it could be quick"  and I thought to myself, to afraid to ask…….what is quick?

Anyway, I did discover, yes, it could be quick (6 months?) or could be way longer…way longer.  Internet was scarry, not much hope was provided there.  That's o.k……helped me realize the demon I was up against.  That being said….there are a lot of survivors, even in late stages.  Do your best to educate yourself with the treatments that are out there and seek more knowledge outside the circle if not available in your area.  I wish you and your sister hope and encouragement and pray that she will find a cure or a treatment that gives her time to find the next treatment that can bring her a cure.  Hang in there…..one day at a time, be patient but be proactive.  God Bless……..Swanee

Swanee
                      Participant

Sorry to hear of your sister's recurrence of melanoma.   If you hang long enough on this web site…you will see that many have been given a scary diagnosis and have gone on to live extraordinary lives.  I sympathize with  doctors as they have a fine line between truth and hope……it is up to the patient to find their own pathway.  That being said, please advocate for your sister's survival and don't take anything but a positive, hopeful approach.  We are all dealing with different time frames and no one has the same circumstances.  I do believe that if you are not in a melanoma treatment center you should find one or get second opinions as quickly as possible.  Even on this web site, I read entries from patients that are using old treatments who may be in more isolated areas.  Unfortunately, we are not all located near major melanoma treatment centers.  I remember when I first learned of my melanoma diagnosis and the lack of information that was given to me.  My doctor told me "it could be quick"  and I thought to myself, to afraid to ask…….what is quick?

Anyway, I did discover, yes, it could be quick (6 months?) or could be way longer…way longer.  Internet was scarry, not much hope was provided there.  That's o.k……helped me realize the demon I was up against.  That being said….there are a lot of survivors, even in late stages.  Do your best to educate yourself with the treatments that are out there and seek more knowledge outside the circle if not available in your area.  I wish you and your sister hope and encouragement and pray that she will find a cure or a treatment that gives her time to find the next treatment that can bring her a cure.  Hang in there…..one day at a time, be patient but be proactive.  God Bless……..Swanee

Swanee
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics