The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yearly post: Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole

Forums General Melanoma Community Yearly post: Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole

Participant

Here is the recipe I've been posting here for years. Those who've made it love it, those who only read it with disgust don't know what they're missing. This recipe was featured on one of the morning shows the day after Thanksgiving- in a segment with the chef Emeril. I've noticed on other sites a more complicated Emeril leftover recipe — this was a ' quick" version he was highlighting  for that segment ๐Ÿ™‚

THANKSGIVING CASSEROLE ( also known as Turkey Shepherds Pie)

Here is the recipe I've been posting here for years. Those who've made it love it, those who only read it with disgust don't know what they're missing. This recipe was featured on one of the morning shows the day after Thanksgiving- in a segment with the chef Emeril. I've noticed on other sites a more complicated Emeril leftover recipe — this was a ' quick" version he was highlighting  for that segment ๐Ÿ™‚

THANKSGIVING CASSEROLE ( also known as Turkey Shepherds Pie)

Spray a 13×9 casserole dish ( or smaller or even round for smaller amounts of leftovers) with PAM.

Use your Thanksgiving leftover variety. Any add-in will work – as long as you end with the mashed.  ( I've used stronger veggies- green beans/brussel sprouts, etc and my kids do not like – but they are picky )

I layer:

1. Stuffing on bottom to cover.

2.  Turkey to cover

3. Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce to cover

4. Gravy – to cover

5. Sweet Potatoes to cover

6. Corn to cover

7. Mashed Potatoes to cover ( I top with a bit of parsley and a pat or 10 of butter)

Layer the items in the order shown.. Most layers do not have to be thick-for example- the corn, but spread what you have in a uniform manner for coverage of each layer.  Use the mashed potatoes to completely seal the casserole on top. I reserve gravy to pour over the casserole at the table. ( I now make extra of everything to make a couple of these)

Bake at 350 degrees until heated all the way through.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

HERE it is Bonnie!!

dian

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

yeah thanks Dian…I have just printed it up.  I think it would work for Church pot luck.  even if no left over turkey, but ground white meat, like that recipe for turkey cake.  this does look interesting.  I could not do the marshmallow things on top of the sweet potato  It is not that common up here to do that.   and I think it is a lot of work for my disapproving family.  (the cake)  but this will be great.

Bonnie Lea
              Participant

yeah thanks Dian…I have just printed it up.  I think it would work for Church pot luck.  even if no left over turkey, but ground white meat, like that recipe for turkey cake.  this does look interesting.  I could not do the marshmallow things on top of the sweet potato  It is not that common up here to do that.   and I think it is a lot of work for my disapproving family.  (the cake)  but this will be great.

dian in spokane
              Participant

HERE it is Bonnie!!

dian

Jerry from Cape Cod
                Participant

Oh Humble Queen of the Kitchen,

Last year I tried this instead of the traditional turkey soup/stew.  WOW.  I've made this "leftover miracle" for many poultry dishes this year at the insistance of the family.  It's easy to substitute with whatever is on hand and always a hit. We even plan our shopping to include enough extras to make the delicious feast.

Jerry from Cape Cod

TinaR
                    Participant

Jerry, have I told you lately that I love you? Well, I do.

Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ™‚

Roxanne

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

Aw Shucks blush

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                        Participant

Aw Shucks blush

Jerry from Cape Cod

TinaR
                          Participant

Jerry, have I told you lately that I love you? Well, I do.

Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ™‚

Roxanne

Bonnie Lea
                            Participant

Jerry, since you avoid lob-i-sirs like the plague, wondering if you ever have had OYSTERS in the stuffing  (I have not)  where I live, I don't see many oysters growing in Lake Ontario.

Zebra mussels?  naw, my husband hates them with a passion.  (clog up the boat bottoms and when he hauls the boats out of the water, he has to devise various methods of disposing in an envirnmental friendly way those mussels.  (gone are the days when bleach can be used in a travel lift slip. 

I think on New Years Eve Hubby and I will try to find affordable, big enuff Lobbies, for our quiet meal.  ahhhh

Bonnie Lea

Jerry from Cape Cod
                              Participant

Hi Bonnie,

Nothing in a shell.  I'm sure you will enjoy your "Lobbies"

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                Participant

Hi Bonnie,

Nothing in a shell.  I'm sure you will enjoy your "Lobbies"

Jerry from Cape Cod

Bonnie Lea
                                  Participant

Jerry, since you avoid lob-i-sirs like the plague, wondering if you ever have had OYSTERS in the stuffing  (I have not)  where I live, I don't see many oysters growing in Lake Ontario.

Zebra mussels?  naw, my husband hates them with a passion.  (clog up the boat bottoms and when he hauls the boats out of the water, he has to devise various methods of disposing in an envirnmental friendly way those mussels.  (gone are the days when bleach can be used in a travel lift slip. 

I think on New Years Eve Hubby and I will try to find affordable, big enuff Lobbies, for our quiet meal.  ahhhh

Bonnie Lea

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                  Participant

Oh Humble Queen of the Kitchen,

Last year I tried this instead of the traditional turkey soup/stew.  WOW.  I've made this "leftover miracle" for many poultry dishes this year at the insistance of the family.  It's easy to substitute with whatever is on hand and always a hit. We even plan our shopping to include enough extras to make the delicious feast.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics