The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wound Vac

Forums General Melanoma Community Wound Vac

Participant

Hi,

Got the wound vac yesterday….need to have the dressings changed M-W-F.My leg already feels better with this "negative suction". I also was seen bythe hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatment doctor…I am a good candidate for this too…can do both. The new chamber has a clear top so you can see out and you can watch a movie. The old one has a solid top and you can only listen to a book on tape…that would be ok with me too, but being able to see out for me would be good. Plus I would need some ativan!

Hi,

Got the wound vac yesterday….need to have the dressings changed M-W-F.My leg already feels better with this "negative suction". I also was seen bythe hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatment doctor…I am a good candidate for this too…can do both. The new chamber has a clear top so you can see out and you can watch a movie. The old one has a solid top and you can only listen to a book on tape…that would be ok with me too, but being able to see out for me would be good. Plus I would need some ativan!

I am going to see another oncology surgeon at DHMC who is from MD Anderson…see what he might think about my course of treatment, what other suggestions since, amputation seems to be so popular among my docs. (Not me).

I have found three new melanoma spots on my leg, so am feeling discouraged. Thank God I am doing Ipi! I am going to see a naturopath for some different ideas and see what I can blend in to what I am doing.

Thanks for listening everyone!

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Donna,

You say you are going to another onc. surgeon.  I have found when I go to my surgeon he usually suggests surgery, when I go to my oncologist, after the wide excision he always talks drugs.  So, remember the source of their expertise when they give you suggestions.

Glad the wound healing seems to be on the right track and everything is lined up!!

Wishing you only the best, sending cyber hugs,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Donna,

You say you are going to another onc. surgeon.  I have found when I go to my surgeon he usually suggests surgery, when I go to my oncologist, after the wide excision he always talks drugs.  So, remember the source of their expertise when they give you suggestions.

Glad the wound healing seems to be on the right track and everything is lined up!!

Wishing you only the best, sending cyber hugs,

Linda

ValinMtl
            Participant

Hi Donna…the wound vac will make a considerable change in your wound situation in no time at all. 

Your melanoma spots sound an awful like mine from March to September before I started the compassionate ipi trial…are they mostly cutaneous? black spots with a few subcutaneous thrown in for good measure…they spread rapidly..and I was up to over 100 before ipi.  To top it off my leg started turning purple..apparently mel was growing vertically as well as radial. Guess what…the majority of my tumors are either dried up or now 'flat' meaning they are reacting and the purple has toned down considerably!!  Certainly, not growing any more on the outside (hopefully, this will apply to inside..as soon as I get my CT scan results..any day).  Thanks to ipi…..this is something to look forward to Donna…ipi will hopefully do the same for you!!!

A naturopath is a great idea BUT I'm sure you know…certain 'natural' drugs are not allowed on ipi. My oncologist asked me to check with the hospital pharmacy before taking any other 'drugs'.  As it turns out, Apple Boost (a Vitamin C) is one of two that I can actually continue taking during my  'ipi' trial …it does not harm the process. The other was Vitamin D3.

FYI – these were some I had to stop:

CoQ10: should stop (interaction that could stop effectiveness)

Cod LIver Oil: should stop (risk to have bleeding due to lowering platelets – wow, glad I did my platelets went down to 74 with ipi by 4th treatment)

Probiotic 15-35: NO

Tumeric Extract with bioperine: NO

If your naturopath does recommend anything, check with your oncologist before starting.

Keep on going forth and be strong against those who recommend amputation..horror of horrors!!  Hope the new surgeon proves to be the right one.

Val xx

ValinMtl
              Participant

Hi Donna…the wound vac will make a considerable change in your wound situation in no time at all. 

Your melanoma spots sound an awful like mine from March to September before I started the compassionate ipi trial…are they mostly cutaneous? black spots with a few subcutaneous thrown in for good measure…they spread rapidly..and I was up to over 100 before ipi.  To top it off my leg started turning purple..apparently mel was growing vertically as well as radial. Guess what…the majority of my tumors are either dried up or now 'flat' meaning they are reacting and the purple has toned down considerably!!  Certainly, not growing any more on the outside (hopefully, this will apply to inside..as soon as I get my CT scan results..any day).  Thanks to ipi…..this is something to look forward to Donna…ipi will hopefully do the same for you!!!

A naturopath is a great idea BUT I'm sure you know…certain 'natural' drugs are not allowed on ipi. My oncologist asked me to check with the hospital pharmacy before taking any other 'drugs'.  As it turns out, Apple Boost (a Vitamin C) is one of two that I can actually continue taking during my  'ipi' trial …it does not harm the process. The other was Vitamin D3.

FYI – these were some I had to stop:

CoQ10: should stop (interaction that could stop effectiveness)

Cod LIver Oil: should stop (risk to have bleeding due to lowering platelets – wow, glad I did my platelets went down to 74 with ipi by 4th treatment)

Probiotic 15-35: NO

Tumeric Extract with bioperine: NO

If your naturopath does recommend anything, check with your oncologist before starting.

Keep on going forth and be strong against those who recommend amputation..horror of horrors!!  Hope the new surgeon proves to be the right one.

Val xx

Fen
                Participant

The treatment sounds encouraging, Donna!  I'm glad to hear you are exploring options – keeping my fingers crossed!   

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

The treatment sounds encouraging, Donna!  I'm glad to hear you are exploring options – keeping my fingers crossed!   

Fen

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics