The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Would you donate money to a researcher?

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Would you donate money to a researcher?

Participant

Hello,

This is my first time posting here.  I'm a biologist who is researching uveal melanoma.  I have my PhD in biomedical sciences and did a postdoctoral fellowship in a cancer biology lab.  I have made an animal model of the disease and I am trying to understand the signals that activate tumors and allow them to become more aggressive and capable of spreading to other organs.

I am wondering if all of you have a favorable view of biological research for this disease?  How do you feel about using animals for research?  I am sure that you may know that samples from patients are limited now with the development of improved therapies.

Would you consider donating to help a biologist set up their new lab and continue investigating the pathways that activate this cancer type?  I am just starting a professor position at a new school and I am trying to start up my lab on limited budget.  Online crowdfunding seems to be one way to fund scientific research these days, and I'm just testing the waters here to see if patients with uveal melanoma are receptive to that approach.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

I think you should consider contacting some melanoma foundations.  That would be the best to request some funding.  That way they will check you out to make sure it is legit. In the US I know of Mestrong and Rayz Awareness.

geriakt
          Participant

I think you should consider contacting some melanoma foundations.  That would be the best to request some funding.  That way they will check you out to make sure it is legit. In the US I know of Mestrong and Rayz Awareness.

geriakt
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics