The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

would this spot on the scar of a previous melanoma in situ be a recurrence or another primary?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community would this spot on the scar of a previous melanoma in situ be a recurrence or another primary?

Participant

Hi all. I was diagnosed 3 and a half years ago with a Lenigo Maligna/ melanoma in situ close to the sternum of my chest. I was 34 years old. Had a WLE done with clear margins. When I got home and looked at this awful long scar It had a few freckles that were close to the scar and one that touched the scar a little. I have freckles on my chest already most of them small and patchy so figured that its just from where the skin was pulled together and it just so happens to have freckles around it. I have regular skin checks every 6 months with no issues or concerns. Ive kept a watch on these freckles close to the scar and the one that runs over the scar a bit. Nothing looked unusual or changed from what I saw.. During my recent 6 month skin check my dermatologist said she just wanted to remove that as one side looked a bit darker and that wasnt there 6 months ago. She said she wasnt concerend and was fairly sure that it was normal pigment change on the freckle on a scar which she said was common but would rather just remove it. My question is that if this happens to end up being Melanoma again would this be considered a local recurrance or a new primary? With this freckle being there from day one of my WLE of my MIS would that mean recurrance immediatly following WLE 3 and a half years ago or a new primary since the freckle was there already? Can a recurrance of the MIS happen in a different mole or freckle from the previous melanoma? I think had this freckle not been there from the time of previous WLE surgery that I would say a recurrance if the spot was new but snce its been there I dont know. Would love others thoughts on this issue and to hear if anyone had a similar expierence. Thanks so much.  Have a blessed day.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tset
        Participant

She did remove it and send it off for biopsy. So now I wait.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics