The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of it’s trouble – It empties TODAY of it’s strength – Mary Engelbreit

Forums General Melanoma Community Worrying does not empty tomorrow of it’s trouble – It empties TODAY of it’s strength – Mary Engelbreit

Participant

Just a quote a ran across today, it brought me back here….

Just a quote a ran across today, it brought me back here….

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Minnesota
        Participant

It's a great quote, and very true. Hope your appt. goes well today and that you like your surgeon as much as I liked mine after meeting her.

Kelli100299
            Participant

Thanks Paula – I met with him and he seems personable and knowledgable. His attitude was basically one step at a time. Do the SNB, and hope that I am in the 90%, if not, we deal with that when it comes. I was a little disappointed, he can't get me in for surgery until the 24th because he will be out of the office for a week, however, he didn't 'seem' overly concerned nor did the nurse that spoke to me prior to him. He checked lymphnodes under my arms and in my groin, and stated that I wasn't swollen. He told me the hardest part would be waiting for the results (4 days). The nurse told me some positie things, however, in the back of my mind I know anything can happen and every situation is different. My husband wants me to go to Sloan, however, I told him, just let me get the surgery, if I am in the 10% then I will seek out additional opinions and treatment options. How are YOU doing?

Kelli

Minnesota
              Participant

Hi –

Sounds like it went good, and the 24th is only 5 days (and only 3 work days) after me. We have a lot less people here, so maybe that's actually quick for where you live. Will he re-excise your leg at that time too?

What positive things did the nurse tell you? Do you feel a little better knowing that its set up? I have finally quit crying at random moments and feel like things are more like they were before I got hit with this bomb.

I got the impression that I am going to know if there is cancer in the sentinel and any of the others that the dye might go to while I am in the operating room. They are going to do a frozen section(?) right then. If going to Sloan makes that happen, I would see someone there – hopefully someone will read this and tell me if my thinking is wrong, but if they need to take out more lymph nodes, it would be a lot better to do it at the same time. I know they still send it/them to a lab after the surgery, so maybe that's what he meant about the 4 days. I asked my surgeon if there are false positives on the testing they do that day and she said no.

I had my pre-op appt. with my main doctor today, and that was sad, because he's been my doctor for a long time and really cares about me. I think he would rather me have any other kind of cancer, but he does have two patients with melanoma who have done really well, despite everything that's happened to them along the way. One was a mom who just had a baby when it appeared, and she's had two serious mets since (I can't spell the whole word, and I don't know the plural form). He said she says she doesn't care what anyone says, she is going to raise her kids and see them grow up.

Your J3 friend Paula

Kelli100299
                Participant

Hi J3 Paula,

Yes, it went pretty well, all things considered. It is my understanding that I will get the dye for mapping, and then be taken to OR for yes the wide excision and SNB. I I will have approx a 5inch incision on my where they are taking the mole, smaller in the groin…the least of my worries. 1 day in and out. He told me I would have results in four days that they cut the node into a billion pieces looking for abnormal cells. The nurse practitioner went over the pathology results with me and answered any immediate questions I had. She told me that the best part of my pathology was that the ulceration was ‘absent’. Overall she was being positive, saying that the Clarks level was no longer looked at, now it was mitotic rate, and since mine was a 1, that was a good thing, but she kept saying about the ulceration. She mentioned that people have come in with Mitotic rates in the teens and nodes have been clear, then I mentioned (typical me), and I am sure there have been people with less than 1 that have come back with unclear nodes…she said, every case is different but we are going to be positive.

Why would you say that you feel your primary doctor would rather have you have any type of cancer other than melanoma? This isn’t the worst cancer out there, is it? Now you have me scared again. Aren’t there people that just have the SNB and move along in life just fine? Is melanoma fatal? Just a matter of time…I have read on this site some people that are living 20+ years with it….

Kelli100299
                  Participant

Hi J3 Paula,

Yes, it went pretty well, all things considered. It is my understanding that I will get the dye for mapping, and then be taken to OR for yes the wide excision and SNB. I I will have approx a 5inch incision on my where they are taking the mole, smaller in the groin…the least of my worries. 1 day in and out. He told me I would have results in four days that they cut the node into a billion pieces looking for abnormal cells. The nurse practitioner went over the pathology results with me and answered any immediate questions I had. She told me that the best part of my pathology was that the ulceration was ‘absent’. Overall she was being positive, saying that the Clarks level was no longer looked at, now it was mitotic rate, and since mine was a 1, that was a good thing, but she kept saying about the ulceration. She mentioned that people have come in with Mitotic rates in the teens and nodes have been clear, then I mentioned (typical me), and I am sure there have been people with less than 1 that have come back with unclear nodes…she said, every case is different but we are going to be positive.

Why would you say that you feel your primary doctor would rather have you have any type of cancer other than melanoma? This isn’t the worst cancer out there, is it? Now you have me scared again. Aren’t there people that just have the SNB and move along in life just fine? Is melanoma fatal? Just a matter of time…I have read on this site some people that are living 20+ years with it….

Kelli100299
                    Participant

Hi J3 Paula,

Minnesota
                      Participant

I am so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you! I think my doctor feels that way because it's a lot rarer, so not as much research has went into it. He's watched other cancers benefit so much from awareness and research.

I'll write more later – have snoopy kids over my shoulder now.

Both of us have no ulceration – yay!

Minnesota
                        Participant

I am so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you! I think my doctor feels that way because it's a lot rarer, so not as much research has went into it. He's watched other cancers benefit so much from awareness and research.

Minnesota
                          Participant

Minnesota
                            Participant

Good morning – I feel so bad about scaring you, I sure didn't meant to, and didn't mean it that way. My doctor just wanted to be able to give me as much info. as he had, and he knows a lot more about more common cancers.

I'm going to have a big scar too. I don't mind. Both the surgeon and my regular doctor saw on my pathology report that I have clear margins now because the derm did an excision, but they aren't far enough away for melanoma.

I was glad to read that someone had a mitotic rate in the teens and their lymph nodes were clear – thanks πŸ™‚ I think the reason the medical staff here are acting alarmed about mine being high is because it's Mayo Clinic's latest thing – maybe they get hung up on something for awhile. 

Hope you have a good weekend, we finally got some snow in Minnesota and its very cold – last weekend we did our walking outside, and some people were even mowing. That's never happened in January in my entire life. I'll be thinking of you, and this next week will go fast and soon we'll both know a lot more about what is going on with us. 

Kelli100299
                              Participant

hi P~

This is a roller coaster ride, isn't it? Up then down….I don't mind about the scars either…..cut away is what I say…get it all.

It is snowing here in NJ. I was so warm last weekend and now it's 32 and snowing. I guess the winter has finally hit. Having a good day emotionally today, hope you are as well. I read your last post about nodes being clear and then met's on the brain. I am sure if you continue looking there is a story for every situation. I suppose, to your doctors point, is what makes this cancer so elusive. It never seems to act the exact same in everyone. We can only do what we can do. As everyone says, be diligent in our follow up and just pay attention to EVERYTHING. Have a great weekend!

J3K

Minnesota
                                Participant

I hope that other post didn't sound negative, I am just trying to understand this, and so much doesn't make sense. 

I am doing good emotionally today too – I would like to do something fun, but its snowing here too, and I don't know what we could do. Several hours later, and I'm still in the same room lol

J3P πŸ™‚

Minnesota
                                  Participant

I hope that other post didn't sound negative, I am just trying to understand this, and so much doesn't make sense. 

I am doing good emotionally today too – I would like to do something fun, but its snowing here too, and I don't know what we could do. Several hours later, and I'm still in the same room lol

J3P πŸ™‚

Minnesota
                                    Participant

J3P πŸ™‚

Kelli100299
                                      Participant

hi P~

This is a roller coaster ride, isn't it? Up then down….I don't mind about the scars either…..cut away is what I say…get it all.

It is snowing here in NJ. I was so warm last weekend and now it's 32 and snowing. I guess the winter has finally hit. Having a good day emotionally today, hope you are as well. I read your last post about nodes being clear and then met's on the brain. I am sure if you continue looking there is a story for every situation. I suppose, to your doctors point, is what makes this cancer so elusive. It never seems to act the exact same in everyone. We can only do what we can do. As everyone says, be diligent in our follow up and just pay attention to EVERYTHING. Have a great weekend!

J3K

Kelli100299
                                        Participant

hi P~

J3K

Minnesota
                                          Participant

Good morning – I feel so bad about scaring you, I sure didn't meant to, and didn't mean it that way. My doctor just wanted to be able to give me as much info. as he had, and he knows a lot more about more common cancers.

I'm going to have a big scar too. I don't mind. Both the surgeon and my regular doctor saw on my pathology report that I have clear margins now because the derm did an excision, but they aren't far enough away for melanoma.

I was glad to read that someone had a mitotic rate in the teens and their lymph nodes were clear – thanks πŸ™‚ I think the reason the medical staff here are acting alarmed about mine being high is because it's Mayo Clinic's latest thing – maybe they get hung up on something for awhile. 

Hope you have a good weekend, we finally got some snow in Minnesota and its very cold – last weekend we did our walking outside, and some people were even mowing. That's never happened in January in my entire life. I'll be thinking of you, and this next week will go fast and soon we'll both know a lot more about what is going on with us. 

Minnesota
                                            Participant

Minnesota
                                              Participant

Hi –

Sounds like it went good, and the 24th is only 5 days (and only 3 work days) after me. We have a lot less people here, so maybe that's actually quick for where you live. Will he re-excise your leg at that time too?

What positive things did the nurse tell you? Do you feel a little better knowing that its set up? I have finally quit crying at random moments and feel like things are more like they were before I got hit with this bomb.

I got the impression that I am going to know if there is cancer in the sentinel and any of the others that the dye might go to while I am in the operating room. They are going to do a frozen section(?) right then. If going to Sloan makes that happen, I would see someone there – hopefully someone will read this and tell me if my thinking is wrong, but if they need to take out more lymph nodes, it would be a lot better to do it at the same time. I know they still send it/them to a lab after the surgery, so maybe that's what he meant about the 4 days. I asked my surgeon if there are false positives on the testing they do that day and she said no.

I had my pre-op appt. with my main doctor today, and that was sad, because he's been my doctor for a long time and really cares about me. I think he would rather me have any other kind of cancer, but he does have two patients with melanoma who have done really well, despite everything that's happened to them along the way. One was a mom who just had a baby when it appeared, and she's had two serious mets since (I can't spell the whole word, and I don't know the plural form). He said she says she doesn't care what anyone says, she is going to raise her kids and see them grow up.

Your J3 friend Paula

Minnesota
                                                Participant

Hi –

Your J3 friend Paula

Kelli100299
                                                  Participant

Thanks Paula – I met with him and he seems personable and knowledgable. His attitude was basically one step at a time. Do the SNB, and hope that I am in the 90%, if not, we deal with that when it comes. I was a little disappointed, he can't get me in for surgery until the 24th because he will be out of the office for a week, however, he didn't 'seem' overly concerned nor did the nurse that spoke to me prior to him. He checked lymphnodes under my arms and in my groin, and stated that I wasn't swollen. He told me the hardest part would be waiting for the results (4 days). The nurse told me some positie things, however, in the back of my mind I know anything can happen and every situation is different. My husband wants me to go to Sloan, however, I told him, just let me get the surgery, if I am in the 10% then I will seek out additional opinions and treatment options. How are YOU doing?

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                    Participant

Kelli

Minnesota
                                                    Participant

It's a great quote, and very true. Hope your appt. goes well today and that you like your surgeon as much as I liked mine after meeting her.

Minnesota
                                                      Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics