The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried mom for 7 Y.O son

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community Worried mom for 7 Y.O son

Participant
      Hello all,

My son started PD-1 for sarcoma at Dana Farber. He is the first pediatric who is prescribed for the medicine (Merck MK-3475) and his oncologist does not have experience with it.
      Since I am an avid reader of the forum, I was thinking that posting here might help me with my concern with the current treatment efficiency. Could you please let me know if any of the following behaviors were related to a good/bad response.

The tumor is in his neck lymph nodes. My son's had many cycles of chemotherapy cycles before this treatment, radiation and surgery. He is prescribed for 2mg/kg of the MK-3474 (Keytruda) every 3 weeks. He received the 2nd dose 2 weeks ago. I dont know if the tumor responding and would like to ask if any of the following visible signs are familiar to responders
      – the tumor "moved" from the "original" location to a lower location in his neck
      – The tumor surface became "bumpy" and not a round ball (the way the previous tumor was formed)
      – the tumor has red areas (not all of it – I can attach a picture if needed)

As some of you reported – he is tired, complaining about pain in his legs (not sure if this is a joints pain), headaches, pain at the tumor's area and around his eyes.

Please let me know if any of the above sounds familiar to you.

Many thanks & Happy new year,
      Mom
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant

I can't really respond but wanted to let you know that I pray everything goes well for your son and family. I hate reading about a child dealing with this…heartbreaking.

mom123
            Participant

Thank you Josh

AMEN!

mom123
              Participant

Thank you Josh

AMEN!

mom123
                Participant

Thank you Josh

AMEN!

JoshF
                Participant

I can't really respond but wanted to let you know that I pray everything goes well for your son and family. I hate reading about a child dealing with this…heartbreaking.

JoshF
                  Participant

Patina
                    Participant
                      My Mom was put on Yervoy/ipi 12/12/13. She had gamma knife radiation on 12/9/13 for 8 tumors. 3 to 4 days after getting ipi the tumors on her scalp and neck felt strange (tingling) and the tumors became hard. Within days they started shrinking. She only had 3 infusions, one which was 2 months after the second due to colitis. By the 6 week the tumors on her scalpe/neck were gone or almost gone. She had stage IV with brain mets.
                      It sounds like your son has some of the same things happening with the description you gave. I hope this is the case.
                      As for my Mom today, het scalp is pink with blue dots where the biopsy were done. All the tumors are gone from her scalp and neck. Doctor’s can’t get over her quick response and say they don’t believe she will need any other treatment. She could not have responded better.

My thoughts are with you and your son.

Patina
                      Participant
                        My Mom was put on Yervoy/ipi 12/12/13. She had gamma knife radiation on 12/9/13 for 8 tumors. 3 to 4 days after getting ipi the tumors on her scalp and neck felt strange (tingling) and the tumors became hard. Within days they started shrinking. She only had 3 infusions, one which was 2 months after the second due to colitis. By the 6 week the tumors on her scalpe/neck were gone or almost gone. She had stage IV with brain mets.
                        It sounds like your son has some of the same things happening with the description you gave. I hope this is the case.
                        As for my Mom today, het scalp is pink with blue dots where the biopsy were done. All the tumors are gone from her scalp and neck. Doctor’s can’t get over her quick response and say they don’t believe she will need any other treatment. She could not have responded better.

mom123
                          Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Your mom had an amazing reponse! could you please elaborate further on how my son's reponse is similar.

Did you see a movement at the tumor location? did it become bumpy?

my son says that it the tumor is getting smaller – but I can not see why.

please let me know what your thoughts are

Mom

mom123
                            Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Your mom had an amazing reponse! could you please elaborate further on how my son's reponse is similar.

Mom

mom123
                              Participant

Hi,

Mom

Patina
                              Participant

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

I got my first keytruda dose on May 21. I get my twelfth this Tuesday. Same dose and frequency as your son.

For the first ten days I had minor fevers chills grogginess. Since then just occasional fevers.

make sure they are checking his blood work properly. Especially his thyroid. I say that because you said the doc is not familiar with pd1.

As far as your son saying the tumor is shrinking I suggest you believe it. A lot of this battle is in the mind. I remember telling myself my tumors are shrinking and amazingly by the first scan two thirds of them were shrinking. The two external ones I have weren't though.

For my external tumors yes mom measures them every week and she describes it as the tumor has shifted. This has happened several times. I'm not sure what it means but the way I see it is a battle field between the cancer and my immune system. So I guess it shifts from time to time.

Bumpy sounds good. Could be the solid mass being destroyed and breaking into smaller parts.

Red could be a mild rash which can be an indicator of the immune system reacting.

So in my opinion all of that is good signs and except for the bumpy it is based on my own experience. For the red rash do nothing. Cortisone is bad in that it lowers immune system. Found that out the hard way too.

As far as tired my doc said it is the disease but I have a heavy tumor load so maybe he isn't getting enough protein or something .

Joint pains does not sound good. That can be a rare side affect of the braf Meds but not sure about pd1. You might see if there is another doc at Dana farber that is familiar with pd1. Same for the headaches that could be the pituitary gland so they need to check that too.

Pain at the tumor area is surprising. For my big visible one in my shoulder that keeps shifting I found it hurt way less and I could move my arm better and later I found my immune system had destroyed a big chunk in the center of it. So I'm not sure why the pain.

Hope that helps some. Please believe your son when he says it is shrinking. That is the confirmation he needs for hope. I remember asking my parents pretty much every day if the pd1 is working. They always confirm it is and low and behold scans keep proving it. I'm 47 and they moved in to help me through this.

i remember when I was your sons age I was big into comics and playing and having fun. He Is a true melanoma warrior. I will pray for him. Poor little guy. But I think he's going to beat this. I still sometimes wear a superhero tshirt for courage and luck.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

I got my first keytruda dose on May 21. I get my twelfth this Tuesday. Same dose and frequency as your son.

For the first ten days I had minor fevers chills grogginess. Since then just occasional fevers.

make sure they are checking his blood work properly. Especially his thyroid. I say that because you said the doc is not familiar with pd1.

As far as your son saying the tumor is shrinking I suggest you believe it. A lot of this battle is in the mind. I remember telling myself my tumors are shrinking and amazingly by the first scan two thirds of them were shrinking. The two external ones I have weren't though.

For my external tumors yes mom measures them every week and she describes it as the tumor has shifted. This has happened several times. I'm not sure what it means but the way I see it is a battle field between the cancer and my immune system. So I guess it shifts from time to time.

Bumpy sounds good. Could be the solid mass being destroyed and breaking into smaller parts.

Red could be a mild rash which can be an indicator of the immune system reacting.

So in my opinion all of that is good signs and except for the bumpy it is based on my own experience. For the red rash do nothing. Cortisone is bad in that it lowers immune system. Found that out the hard way too.

As far as tired my doc said it is the disease but I have a heavy tumor load so maybe he isn't getting enough protein or something .

Joint pains does not sound good. That can be a rare side affect of the braf Meds but not sure about pd1. You might see if there is another doc at Dana farber that is familiar with pd1. Same for the headaches that could be the pituitary gland so they need to check that too.

Pain at the tumor area is surprising. For my big visible one in my shoulder that keeps shifting I found it hurt way less and I could move my arm better and later I found my immune system had destroyed a big chunk in the center of it. So I'm not sure why the pain.

Hope that helps some. Please believe your son when he says it is shrinking. That is the confirmation he needs for hope. I remember asking my parents pretty much every day if the pd1 is working. They always confirm it is and low and behold scans keep proving it. I'm 47 and they moved in to help me through this.

i remember when I was your sons age I was big into comics and playing and having fun. He Is a true melanoma warrior. I will pray for him. Poor little guy. But I think he's going to beat this. I still sometimes wear a superhero tshirt for courage and luck.

Artie

mom123
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Artie,
                                        Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I will make sure to check his hormones levels and to keep on supporting him.
                                        your comics note is so true. I think that you know my hero 😉

Mom
                                        mom123
                                        Participant
                                          Hi Artie,
                                          Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I will make sure to check his hormones levels and to keep on supporting him.

Mom
                                          tschmith
                                          Participant

Hi!   I'm sorry you and your son are going through this…nothing worse than seeing our children suffer.  I too am a Keytruda patient.  My doctors said joint pain is one of the side effects.  At first I had fevers and the itchiest rash ever!  I've had nine infusions and the side effects have eased.  I have vitaligo…my eyebrows and lashes turned white.  I also have some areas of lack of pigment on my skin.  Some moles and many freckles have disappeared.  I wonder if your oncologist could consult with a doctor at Dana Farber who has experience with Keytruda? Like Artie said, they have to keep a careful watch on the blood work.   It's been a great drug for me and I hope your son does well with it too!!!

Best wishes…

Terrie

tschmith
                                            Participant

Hi!   I'm sorry you and your son are going through this…nothing worse than seeing our children suffer.  I too am a Keytruda patient.  My doctors said joint pain is one of the side effects.  At first I had fevers and the itchiest rash ever!  I've had nine infusions and the side effects have eased.  I have vitaligo…my eyebrows and lashes turned white.  I also have some areas of lack of pigment on my skin.  Some moles and many freckles have disappeared.  I wonder if your oncologist could consult with a doctor at Dana Farber who has experience with Keytruda? Like Artie said, they have to keep a careful watch on the blood work.   It's been a great drug for me and I hope your son does well with it too!!!

Best wishes…

Terrie

tschmith
                                              Participant

Best wishes…

Terrie

mom123
                                                Participant

Hi Terrie,

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely ask to see an experienced dr.

Best wishes,

Mom

mom123
                                                  Participant

Hi Terrie,

Best wishes,

Mom

mom123
                                                    Participant

Hi Terrie,

Best wishes,

Mom

mom123
                                                      Participant
                                                        Hi Artie,

Mom
                                                      arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Artie

JustMeInCA
                                                        Participant

I'm not sure we can compare an 83-year-old with a 7-year-old, but my father has fatigue and much increased pain in his tumors starting a couple days after his Keytruda infusions (he's had four now), and this lasts about a week. I haven't noticed any shifting or bumpiness, though. His smallest cutaneous tumor is now completely gone, the second and third smallest have shrunk by at least half, but the three largest (measuring about 3/4 inch to 1 inch and ulcerated) don't seem to have changed much. I'd also trust in your son's perceptions since it is his body. I wish him and you the best. It breaks my heart to hear of kids suffering with something like this.

JustMeInCA
                                                          Participant

I'm not sure we can compare an 83-year-old with a 7-year-old, but my father has fatigue and much increased pain in his tumors starting a couple days after his Keytruda infusions (he's had four now), and this lasts about a week. I haven't noticed any shifting or bumpiness, though. His smallest cutaneous tumor is now completely gone, the second and third smallest have shrunk by at least half, but the three largest (measuring about 3/4 inch to 1 inch and ulcerated) don't seem to have changed much. I'd also trust in your son's perceptions since it is his body. I wish him and you the best. It breaks my heart to hear of kids suffering with something like this.

mom123
                                                              Participant

Thank you for posting your dad's experience. It is encouraging to know that a pain in the tumor might imply on immune activity. I know that the reaction is very personal…but it gives me hope

Thank you,

Mom

mom123
                                                                Participant

Thank you for posting your dad's experience. It is encouraging to know that a pain in the tumor might imply on immune activity. I know that the reaction is very personal…but it gives me hope

Thank you,

Mom

mom123
                                                                  Participant

Thank you,

Mom

JustMeInCA
                                                                  Participant

sweetaugust
                                                                    Participant

Hi mom,

I can't really help you with the lumps and bumps question, but I have been on MK-3475 since Oct 2012 for my stage 4 melanoma.   I am doing great and have felt pretty great throughout.  I've had a rash on my chest and the back of my head since starting treatment, but they both have cleared up as of a couple months ago.  I've had some nausea and a little joint pain, but really nothing to report.  I don't even take any drugs, whether over-the-counter or prescription. 

I am just chiming in because I am also seen at Dana Farber.  My doctor is Stephen Hodi.  He heads up the Melanoma clinic there.  Maybe he could help with your questions.

All my best to you and your family, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                      Participant

Hi mom,

I can't really help you with the lumps and bumps question, but I have been on MK-3475 since Oct 2012 for my stage 4 melanoma.   I am doing great and have felt pretty great throughout.  I've had a rash on my chest and the back of my head since starting treatment, but they both have cleared up as of a couple months ago.  I've had some nausea and a little joint pain, but really nothing to report.  I don't even take any drugs, whether over-the-counter or prescription. 

I am just chiming in because I am also seen at Dana Farber.  My doctor is Stephen Hodi.  He heads up the Melanoma clinic there.  Maybe he could help with your questions.

sweetaugust
                                                                        Participant

Hi mom,

mom123
                                                                            Participant

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your post. I am planned to meet the oncologist on Thursday. I know that he was consulting with dr. Hodi before and during the treatment. I will ask my doctor to schedule a meeting for my son with dr. Hodi.

Mom

sweetaugust
                                                                              Participant

Just knowing you have Dr. Hodi consulting with your son's doctor is great news.  You are in very good hands.  All my best to you and your son.  Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                                Participant

Just knowing you have Dr. Hodi consulting with your son's doctor is great news.  You are in very good hands.  All my best to you and your son.  Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                                  Participant

mom123
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your post. I am planned to meet the oncologist on Thursday. I know that he was consulting with dr. Hodi before and during the treatment. I will ask my doctor to schedule a meeting for my son with dr. Hodi.

Mom

mom123
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Laurie,

Mom

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics