The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

worried…

Forums General Melanoma Community worried…

Participant

Hi Folks, and Merry Christmas for those who celebrate:

I'm just worried about my Stage 4 husband, Pete,  who had a craniotomy and gamma knife radiation for brain mets within the last month or so.  He's currently weaning off Dexamethasone and is on 4mg/day, soon to be reducing to 2 mg/day and then weaning off entirely. Pete just doesn't seem himself and I don't know whether to attribute it to the steroids, the brain surgery, the radiation, or what.  I worry that he's on the road downwards, which makes me kind of freak out.  How normal is it to be extremely fatigued and "not himself"?  I don't want to be unrealistic in my expectations of his recovery, and would really appreciate some feedback on what is normal to expect during this time.  I find myself worried a lot at times, and I'm not sure who to turn to.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yasmin

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant

My husband had a craniotomy,nfollowed by gamma knife 3 years ago.  It took him several months to recover (at least 3-4 months).   He would sleep 16-18 hours a day for the first month or two.  Even at 6 months after, he would sleep 10-12 hours at night and many days need a nap.  He's still alive (and doing well with NED for almost 2 years), but has permanent brain damage.   He still struggles with short term memory, some cognition, and some vision.  He's certainly not the same person he was before his brain tumor, but he's alive and we've both worked extremely hard to adjust.  It's not easy, but try to take it a day at a time.  Steroids really messed with him…he was certainly not himself while on them.  Once he weaned off, I started seeing him inside there again.  Watching him recover and supporting him through was really hard.   Try to take it a day at a time and try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know).  

jmmm
          Participant

My husband had a craniotomy,nfollowed by gamma knife 3 years ago.  It took him several months to recover (at least 3-4 months).   He would sleep 16-18 hours a day for the first month or two.  Even at 6 months after, he would sleep 10-12 hours at night and many days need a nap.  He's still alive (and doing well with NED for almost 2 years), but has permanent brain damage.   He still struggles with short term memory, some cognition, and some vision.  He's certainly not the same person he was before his brain tumor, but he's alive and we've both worked extremely hard to adjust.  It's not easy, but try to take it a day at a time.  Steroids really messed with him…he was certainly not himself while on them.  Once he weaned off, I started seeing him inside there again.  Watching him recover and supporting him through was really hard.   Try to take it a day at a time and try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know).  

yazziemac
              Participant

Thanks so much for your response, it's reassuring to feel less alone. I hope that your husband continues to be healthy for many, many years!

yazziemac
                Participant

Thanks so much for your response, it's reassuring to feel less alone. I hope that your husband continues to be healthy for many, many years!

yazziemac
                  Participant

jmmm
                  Participant

Patina
                    Participant
                      My Mom had gamma knife radiation last year for a total of 25 mets treated. So, I look for information on this quite a bit. Recently, there was a study in Europe that tracked patients who had it plus canabinoids. Those that took canabinoids did bettet than thoes that didn’t. You might look into this. I had my Mom take CBDs starting about 1 week before the first procedure and she is still taking them. She had done very well. You may also look onto neurofeedback it might be helpful for his brain as it recovers.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6181060?ir=Healthy+Living

http://www.braincancer.org/2014/11/21/cannabinoids-and-treating-glioblastoma-brain-tumor-patientshttp://www.gwpharm.com/oncology.aspx

Patina
                      Participant
                        My Mom had gamma knife radiation last year for a total of 25 mets treated. So, I look for information on this quite a bit. Recently, there was a study in Europe that tracked patients who had it plus canabinoids. Those that took canabinoids did bettet than thoes that didn’t. You might look into this. I had my Mom take CBDs starting about 1 week before the first procedure and she is still taking them. She had done very well. You may also look onto neurofeedback it might be helpful for his brain as it recovers.

http://www.braincancer.org/2014/11/21/cannabinoids-and-treating-glioblastoma-brain-tumor-patientshttp://www.gwpharm.com/oncology.aspx

Patina
                        Participant

kylez
                          Participant

Hi Yasmin,

I think "generically speaking" fatigue is a long-term part of recovery for brain tumor treatment. Here are a couple of discussions of fatigue related to brain tumors. Both of these guides also both recommend to discuss fatigue issues with the doctors, to try to rule out any other issues:

http://www.abta.org/brain-tumor-treatment/side-effects/fatigue.html

http://www.brainsciencefoundation.org/Portals/0/Uploads/documents/public/bt_and_fatigue.pdf

For myself, I was very fatigued for the immediate weeks following treatments. Longer-term I've needed to cut back what I do each day to keep an even keel and not overdo it.

I found the following advice particularly relevant to my own experience, from the National Brain Tumor Society: "Develop realistic expectations. Avoid competing with the person you once were or holding yourself to former standards. You now operate without the energy reserves you once had. Resist the pull to keep running on empty. Give yourself permission to take a rest or a break without feeling that you are “giving in to the tumor.” Long-term survivorswho feel they have conquered fatigue say they did so by redefining “normal” and accepting the person they are now."

Again, that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't talk with their doctors about fatigue — all these references say they should, to rule out any other factors besides "normal" acute short-term fatigue and possibly longer-term fatigue as well.

kylez
                            Participant

Hi Yasmin,

I think "generically speaking" fatigue is a long-term part of recovery for brain tumor treatment. Here are a couple of discussions of fatigue related to brain tumors. Both of these guides also both recommend to discuss fatigue issues with the doctors, to try to rule out any other issues:

http://www.brainsciencefoundation.org/Portals/0/Uploads/documents/public/bt_and_fatigue.pdf

For myself, I was very fatigued for the immediate weeks following treatments. Longer-term I've needed to cut back what I do each day to keep an even keel and not overdo it.

I found the following advice particularly relevant to my own experience, from the National Brain Tumor Society: "Develop realistic expectations. Avoid competing with the person you once were or holding yourself to former standards. You now operate without the energy reserves you once had. Resist the pull to keep running on empty. Give yourself permission to take a rest or a break without feeling that you are “giving in to the tumor.” Long-term survivorswho feel they have conquered fatigue say they did so by redefining “normal” and accepting the person they are now."

Again, that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't talk with their doctors about fatigue — all these references say they should, to rule out any other factors besides "normal" acute short-term fatigue and possibly longer-term fatigue as well.

kylez
                              Participant

Hi Yasmin,

LuckyMan51
                                Participant

Hi, 

I had both the craniotomy and the SRS a year ago last September 2013. I found the steroids I was on after the sugery to be absolutely brutal. I know they serve the purpose of reducing swelling which make them very valuable but the side effects totally through off my sleep pattern only allowing 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep so the exhaustion had me nodding off during the day as well as being in a pretty irritable mood. I also had radiation followup on the resected tumor bed and that caused fatigue also. I asked my Dr for a sleeping aid for the month which helped quite a bit and after I was weaned off the nasty steroids I slowly returned to normal. Do watch out for exposing him to  any people with winter colds or flu as steroids lower your resistance. I found out the hard way that a 3 year old nephew with the runny nose and cold can knock you so hard you can end up in the emergency room and hospital admittance with the ER staff misdiagnosing the symptoms as either a surgery related infection and fever or meningitis. Fast forward 15 months and one additional successful June 2014 SRS on a new tumor on the brain dura (not in the brain like the resected one) and I am very much alive and kicking and as of Nov body and Dec brain scans am NED. The only thing not fully recovered are some lingering cognitive issues like quantitative task speed, occasional word finding, train of thought and the like. A small price to pay and my friends without brain surgery say they are slipping also due to natural aging. I found my Oncologist's referral to a Neurologist very helpful in walking my wife and I through both the effects of surgery on my temporal lobe and then radiation treatment to that site. Hang in there and give those steroids some time to get out of his system and give him some time to let the brain heal. Having been where your husband was 15 months ago hearing what he's going through sounds so familiar. I think he will be making major strides back towards normalcy over the next few months. Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery. 

LuckyMan51
                                  Participant

Hi, 

I had both the craniotomy and the SRS a year ago last September 2013. I found the steroids I was on after the sugery to be absolutely brutal. I know they serve the purpose of reducing swelling which make them very valuable but the side effects totally through off my sleep pattern only allowing 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep so the exhaustion had me nodding off during the day as well as being in a pretty irritable mood. I also had radiation followup on the resected tumor bed and that caused fatigue also. I asked my Dr for a sleeping aid for the month which helped quite a bit and after I was weaned off the nasty steroids I slowly returned to normal. Do watch out for exposing him to  any people with winter colds or flu as steroids lower your resistance. I found out the hard way that a 3 year old nephew with the runny nose and cold can knock you so hard you can end up in the emergency room and hospital admittance with the ER staff misdiagnosing the symptoms as either a surgery related infection and fever or meningitis. Fast forward 15 months and one additional successful June 2014 SRS on a new tumor on the brain dura (not in the brain like the resected one) and I am very much alive and kicking and as of Nov body and Dec brain scans am NED. The only thing not fully recovered are some lingering cognitive issues like quantitative task speed, occasional word finding, train of thought and the like. A small price to pay and my friends without brain surgery say they are slipping also due to natural aging. I found my Oncologist's referral to a Neurologist very helpful in walking my wife and I through both the effects of surgery on my temporal lobe and then radiation treatment to that site. Hang in there and give those steroids some time to get out of his system and give him some time to let the brain heal. Having been where your husband was 15 months ago hearing what he's going through sounds so familiar. I think he will be making major strides back towards normalcy over the next few months. Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery. 

yazziemac
                                      Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, it means the world to me!  

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                        Participant

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                          Participant

Yasmin

LuckyMan51
                                          Participant

Hi, 

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics