The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WLE and SNLB intial results negative!

Forums General Melanoma Community WLE and SNLB intial results negative!

Participant

Just got back from the Mayo clinic in Rochester, and I highly recommend Dr. Brewer (dermatologist) and Dr. Donahue (surgeon) for anyone in this area. I had a melonoma at 1.5mm and Clarks level 4 and just had the WLE and SNLB and intial results came back negative. The Dr. said more testing will be done early this week and hopefully that all comes back negative.  Does anyone know why an initial result could be negative and later tests positive. He had to take 3 lymph nodes under my right and left arms, and it is very painful but getting a bit better each day.

Just got back from the Mayo clinic in Rochester, and I highly recommend Dr. Brewer (dermatologist) and Dr. Donahue (surgeon) for anyone in this area. I had a melonoma at 1.5mm and Clarks level 4 and just had the WLE and SNLB and intial results came back negative. The Dr. said more testing will be done early this week and hopefully that all comes back negative.  Does anyone know why an initial result could be negative and later tests positive. He had to take 3 lymph nodes under my right and left arms, and it is very painful but getting a bit better each day. hopefully we got it all and the care at the Mayo clinic I highly recommend. thanks and good luck to all.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Doug-Pepper
        Participant

Glad to hear that! My husband has finally healed up under his arm. One node was positive. We are kind of in the same boat. Not sure what to do next. Good luck! Pepper.

davekarrie
            Participant

How long did it take your husband to heal up. mine is burning something fierce at times.

Doug-Pepper
              Participant

Probably about 3 weeks.  He still does not have a lot of feeling in several places on that arm. He slept with his arm propped up on a pillow. It burned a lot too. He would forget & try to pick something heavy up or lift it too high. He said the worse part was when the drain was taken out.

davekarrie
                Participant

they didn't put any drains in mine that I can see, just internal sutures the way it looks. thanks for the info.

davekarrie
                  Participant

they didn't put any drains in mine that I can see, just internal sutures the way it looks. thanks for the info.

Doug-Pepper
                    Participant

Probably about 3 weeks.  He still does not have a lot of feeling in several places on that arm. He slept with his arm propped up on a pillow. It burned a lot too. He would forget & try to pick something heavy up or lift it too high. He said the worse part was when the drain was taken out.

bluepeople
                      Participant

Hi,

My hubby had a SNB on Sept. 15, and then about a month later it got infected and he had to go in and have them open it up again, and then we had to pack the wound for a couple weeks.  Just saying this so that you keep an eye out for any swelling or pain the in the area, even weeks later.  He had a fever for a couple days, thought it was just the flu, but then realized it was an infection.  Now he's all healed and everything is fine, starting interferon today.  He had some pain (or I'd say discomfort) for about 3 weeks.  He still doesn't have feeling around the site of the SNBs, but that can be pretty common.  Good luck.

Akilyn

davekarrie
                        Participant

Thanks for the info. did his SNLB come back positive, just wondering if I will need anymore treatment if the nodes are negative as they appeared to be when they checked them when I was operated on. thanks.

bluepeople
                          Participant

All of my husbands results were negative, both the SNB and the PET scan.  He is stage IIc and both of his were pretty deep (5mm and 2.4 mm), that is why he is doing the interferon.  The doctor gave him the option, basically saying if it's going to come back, interferon won't keep it from coming back, but may prolong the time it takes to come back.   We figure if he can get through the high dose, he'll then make the decision of whether or not to continue the low dose.  It really is crazy and you feel like you have to make a lot of decisions in such a short time.  It sounds like you had good results, so good luck with whatever comes up.

Akilyn

bluepeople
                            Participant

All of my husbands results were negative, both the SNB and the PET scan.  He is stage IIc and both of his were pretty deep (5mm and 2.4 mm), that is why he is doing the interferon.  The doctor gave him the option, basically saying if it's going to come back, interferon won't keep it from coming back, but may prolong the time it takes to come back.   We figure if he can get through the high dose, he'll then make the decision of whether or not to continue the low dose.  It really is crazy and you feel like you have to make a lot of decisions in such a short time.  It sounds like you had good results, so good luck with whatever comes up.

Akilyn

davekarrie
                              Participant

Thanks for the info. did his SNLB come back positive, just wondering if I will need anymore treatment if the nodes are negative as they appeared to be when they checked them when I was operated on. thanks.

bluepeople
                                Participant

Hi,

My hubby had a SNB on Sept. 15, and then about a month later it got infected and he had to go in and have them open it up again, and then we had to pack the wound for a couple weeks.  Just saying this so that you keep an eye out for any swelling or pain the in the area, even weeks later.  He had a fever for a couple days, thought it was just the flu, but then realized it was an infection.  Now he's all healed and everything is fine, starting interferon today.  He had some pain (or I'd say discomfort) for about 3 weeks.  He still doesn't have feeling around the site of the SNBs, but that can be pretty common.  Good luck.

Akilyn

davekarrie
                                  Participant

How long did it take your husband to heal up. mine is burning something fierce at times.

Doug-Pepper
                                  Participant

Glad to hear that! My husband has finally healed up under his arm. One node was positive. We are kind of in the same boat. Not sure what to do next. Good luck! Pepper.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics