The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WLE and SNB for recurrance that is thin?

Forums General Melanoma Community WLE and SNB for recurrance that is thin?

Participant

I am currently Stage 3b after having had two WLE and negative SNB's on the left leg and did one month of high dose interferon. Seems like every 5 years, melanoma reappears on my leg.  My derm just did a shave biopsy in the same area that came back as melanoma , but it is very thin (.2mm).  Will be seeing my oncologist and onc.

I am currently Stage 3b after having had two WLE and negative SNB's on the left leg and did one month of high dose interferon. Seems like every 5 years, melanoma reappears on my leg.  My derm just did a shave biopsy in the same area that came back as melanoma , but it is very thin (.2mm).  Will be seeing my oncologist and onc. surgeon next week, but am wondering if I should be expecting them to suggest a Wide Local Excision (WLE) and Sentinel Node Biopsy (SNB) again due to it being a recurrance, even though it is very thin?  The biopsy was a 5 x 4 x 1mm area, and the path report did say the melanoma extended to the edges of the specimen.   The derm scheduled an excision, but I thought I should probably get consult first from my previous surgeon – if he doesn't suggest a WLE should I insist on it?  Any thoughts on WLE and SNB would be appreciated. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

This doesn't sound like a recurrance, more like another primary.  You will be told to have a wide excision, that is normal procedure. Usually SNB's are only done if they are 1mm or thicker. Other reasons would be high mitosis. 

I hope you have a quick recovery!

Linda

Stage IV

lhaley
          Participant

This doesn't sound like a recurrance, more like another primary.  You will be told to have a wide excision, that is normal procedure. Usually SNB's are only done if they are 1mm or thicker. Other reasons would be high mitosis. 

I hope you have a quick recovery!

Linda

Stage IV

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics