The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Willing to share your stories with teens?

Forums General Melanoma Community Willing to share your stories with teens?

Participant

Friends of MPIP:

Friends of MPIP:

I have been speaking to groups and organizations on sun safety and the need for research support for MRF for the past 3 years. I speak to many age groups, but most of my upcoming talks include mainly teens at local area high schools. Usually I organize my talks with high schoolers starting with a brief bio of my own experience as a mel survivor then quiz my audience on their knowledge of melanoma followed by a video presentation of a young victim of melanoma, Mollie Biggane. My talks usually end with skin and sun safety tips followed by a question/answer period.

While this format works for the most part, I have found that my teen audiences, especially, are most curious about people closer to their own age who have melanoma (I do share a couple of stories of young people from our area). Obviously, the shock of the realization that it is the 15-25 year old age group who is most seeing an increase in mel cases catches their attention.

What I would like to add to my talks are more personal, current bios. of  MELANOMA  fighters who are willing to share their stories along with a few pictures. For example, I share pics of my many scars and photos that were taken of me during treatments such as gamma knife. I also have post-craniotomy pics that include my almost unrecognizable steroid self, which always shocks them. But I am going on 48 so my story still may not have the impact I wish to have.

These are the sort of stories and pics I'm looking for if any of you are willing to share them.  It's a great way to get the word out about melanoma, and I would be privileged and grateful to be able to share your stories with young people in the hope that it might help them to lower their risk and increase their knowledge of how melanoma may affect their lives.

I know that people are hesitant to share their real names or pics, so if it's anonymity you wish I can just use your first name and get a basic photo release that your pics will not be used for anything other than these presentations. Please contact me at my email: [email protected] with questions or stories to share.

Any other suggestions about how I may better go about this process would also be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Karen

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        CLPrice31
        Participant

Hi, I am going to email you but I wanted to post on here as well. I am 24. i was diagnosed with stage III melanoma almost a year ago. In hopes to reach young teens, I was interviewed by The Skin Cancer Foundation. I also keep a fairly regular blog that shows my day to day struggles and pictures of surgeries, visits to the Chemo Suite, etc. I write from the heart, but I try to write it so that non-melanoma folks will maybe understand more clearly of what a melanoma patient really faces.

The video can he seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjFJ-VxKFI&feature=youtu.be

and my blog is http://adventurewithmelanoma.blogspot.com

CLPrice31
          Participant

Hi, I am going to email you but I wanted to post on here as well. I am 24. i was diagnosed with stage III melanoma almost a year ago. In hopes to reach young teens, I was interviewed by The Skin Cancer Foundation. I also keep a fairly regular blog that shows my day to day struggles and pictures of surgeries, visits to the Chemo Suite, etc. I write from the heart, but I try to write it so that non-melanoma folks will maybe understand more clearly of what a melanoma patient really faces.

The video can he seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjFJ-VxKFI&feature=youtu.be

CLPrice31
            Participant

fdess056
              Participant

Hi, Karen and thank you for your work in melanoma education.  i don't fit your demographic as I'm 55 years old and was diagnosed 2 years ago.  Something I'd like to share, though, is the fact that I ran high school track and later joined a local road running team.  I've trained for and competed 9 marathons.  Much of my training in both instances took place in the hot sun with no UV protection.  I've also recently came across a study of marathon runners and tri-athletes conducted by a well known dermatologist.  This study found that although exercise can help increase immunological responses, your immune system is actually repressed while undergoing vigorous training.  This  leaves the body even more prone to the effects of the sun and heat.  I'm absolutely convinced that this is what initiated my melanoma.  Any outdoor athletes should be required to use proper sun screen.  In fact, i think  it should be part of any schools athletic policy.  I can't put my finger on that study at the moment but will send it along if I'm able to do so.  Please continue to keep up the good work

frankd

fdess056
                Participant

Hi, Karen and thank you for your work in melanoma education.  i don't fit your demographic as I'm 55 years old and was diagnosed 2 years ago.  Something I'd like to share, though, is the fact that I ran high school track and later joined a local road running team.  I've trained for and competed 9 marathons.  Much of my training in both instances took place in the hot sun with no UV protection.  I've also recently came across a study of marathon runners and tri-athletes conducted by a well known dermatologist.  This study found that although exercise can help increase immunological responses, your immune system is actually repressed while undergoing vigorous training.  This  leaves the body even more prone to the effects of the sun and heat.  I'm absolutely convinced that this is what initiated my melanoma.  Any outdoor athletes should be required to use proper sun screen.  In fact, i think  it should be part of any schools athletic policy.  I can't put my finger on that study at the moment but will send it along if I'm able to do so.  Please continue to keep up the good work

frankd

fdess056
                  Participant

frankd

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics