The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

wifi or cell med alert services for fall risk patient

Forums General Melanoma Community wifi or cell med alert services for fall risk patient

Participant

Does anyone have experience with medical alert systems? I had one set up for grandmother years ago, but it was through a regular land line. Dad is still a fall risk, and thought he doesn't need constant supervision, I do worry about when I need to run extended errands and no one is available. He isn't able to live on his own, but this would be for back up if he fall sin the night in the bathroom and I don't wake up to hear it, or if I am at the neighbor's house or store, etc.

Does anyone have experience with medical alert systems? I had one set up for grandmother years ago, but it was through a regular land line. Dad is still a fall risk, and thought he doesn't need constant supervision, I do worry about when I need to run extended errands and no one is available. He isn't able to live on his own, but this would be for back up if he fall sin the night in the bathroom and I don't wake up to hear it, or if I am at the neighbor's house or store, etc.

We use cell phones only, and have wireless internet. I saw one company that has a "no phone line needed" system (it has it's own ATTcelular based service).

http://www.med-alert.org/medical-alert-systems/No-Phone-Line-Med-Alert.html

Any thoughts? We could get a land line if we had to. All the sitters we have used so far always have their own cell phones, and dad has his own, too. I just don't know if he would really push the help button if it were needed. He tends to deny symptoms/ problems, however obvious they may be. I have tried to establish safety rules too, such as only getting a shower or going for walks when someone is awake and present to listen/ look out for him, etc.

He's been more fatigued on this the 6th round of temodar. He had a few near falls a couple weeks ago (preceding the hospital visit), and still has not been as good as he was a month or two ago, even with extra dechadron (2mg) to reduce his brain edema. I took him to a funeral yesterday, and after standing a combined total of 40 minutes, he was walking very poorly when we left, as in leaning back very awkwardly. He refused to sit down to socialize though there were chairs and pews available right were he was talking before and after the short service. At the time denied feeling off. He was exhausted after the trip, but really did almost nothing else the whole day. Says he "overdid it" yesterday and denies feeling weak or off balance. I just worry he can't tell when he needs to take a break and allow himself not to over do it, and will fall in the house trying to do something he should know better not to do.

Thanks,

DF

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

You can't be there all of the time but you do need to help with precautions.   When my mom's brain tumors grew she refused anyone to move in, moved to us, ect.   WE lived next door and there were still issues.   I would put her to bed and my husband would be there in the morning.  Even with that one night she fell.   These are not easy decisions.

We did put one of the alerts for my mom to hit.  She would take it off.   You do the best you can and you seem to be helping as much as possible.   Mom herself made the decision and went into Assistance health care.  She then lived about 15 min.  I would go straight from work every evening until I put her to bed.  My husband had already changed shifts so he could also help so he stayed during the day.   Those months were so special to us both.   Mom did not have melanoma, instead breast cancer.

Exhaustion takes away some of your dad's good decisions. 

Linda

dearfoam
            Participant

Thanks for your input. My dad will not want to go to assisted living. I work from home as a freelance artist (but not getting much done these days), so I can usually keep a good eye on him, and can hire a sitter if we need to. You are very right, though, the exhaustion does impede good decisions.

-DF

dearfoam
              Participant

Thanks for your input. My dad will not want to go to assisted living. I work from home as a freelance artist (but not getting much done these days), so I can usually keep a good eye on him, and can hire a sitter if we need to. You are very right, though, the exhaustion does impede good decisions.

-DF

dearfoam
                Participant

-DF

lhaley
                Participant

You can't be there all of the time but you do need to help with precautions.   When my mom's brain tumors grew she refused anyone to move in, moved to us, ect.   WE lived next door and there were still issues.   I would put her to bed and my husband would be there in the morning.  Even with that one night she fell.   These are not easy decisions.

We did put one of the alerts for my mom to hit.  She would take it off.   You do the best you can and you seem to be helping as much as possible.   Mom herself made the decision and went into Assistance health care.  She then lived about 15 min.  I would go straight from work every evening until I put her to bed.  My husband had already changed shifts so he could also help so he stayed during the day.   Those months were so special to us both.   Mom did not have melanoma, instead breast cancer.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

nickmac56
                    Participant

Having invested in such a system (we tied a panic alarm that connects to 911 through our home security system) my perception is that it is a waste of money. My wife is a fall risk, she has fallen twice recently and at the neurologist yesterday couldn't stand alone or walk heel toe. This is due to her radiation treatments and medication most likely. Maybe it wouldn't be a waste if my wfe agreed to wear the panic button, but she will not. It sits on a table right next to where she sits most of the day. But if she gets up to walk to the kitchen or bathroom she will not remember to take it or doesn't think it is necessary. I have watched her when she is in her more befuddled state and she can't remember what it looks like or if it is different from the TV remote. She is also a stroke and seizure risk, and it would do absolutely no good if that would occur – she'd be unable to move, or recognize that she needs to get it. So I think it is a false comfort and peace of mind. Better to invest in making sure regular used pathways are safe, making sure right furniture is in place (i.e., chair assist, grab rails at toilet). 

Nick

dearfoam
                        Participant

Your wife's symptoms are similar to dad's. Does she have several brain tumors? He has six. He has not been able to heel to toe at any exams, but they only started doing this test recently. I know it was not possible earlier in the year as he was staggering to walk, I call it a toddler walk for lack of better description. He had a better stride in August and even part of September, but it went downhill in early October with the weaning of dechadron and has not gotten much better. Physical therapy is more tiring than helpful at the moment, but of course hope it will improve over time. He lost his hip muscles and some of the thighs too. He is also top heavy.

He is very opposed to the idea that he needs the extra security around the house – I still have to remind him to tie his shoes before walking through the house and buckle his pants/ belt so he doesn't trip himself, etc; so I just don't know if he would follow through with wearing the lanyard or what ever style button. Everything seems to end in an arguement these days.

I am not sur eif he is at risk for an actual stroke since I have him on Lovenox, but his brain swelling/ bleeding symptoms are supposedly like a stroke if they were to get bad all of a sudden. And he gets so confused, I do not know if he would think the call for help or push the button. It has been several months since anything like that happened.

Thanks for your input!

-DF

dearfoam
                          Participant

Your wife's symptoms are similar to dad's. Does she have several brain tumors? He has six. He has not been able to heel to toe at any exams, but they only started doing this test recently. I know it was not possible earlier in the year as he was staggering to walk, I call it a toddler walk for lack of better description. He had a better stride in August and even part of September, but it went downhill in early October with the weaning of dechadron and has not gotten much better. Physical therapy is more tiring than helpful at the moment, but of course hope it will improve over time. He lost his hip muscles and some of the thighs too. He is also top heavy.

He is very opposed to the idea that he needs the extra security around the house – I still have to remind him to tie his shoes before walking through the house and buckle his pants/ belt so he doesn't trip himself, etc; so I just don't know if he would follow through with wearing the lanyard or what ever style button. Everything seems to end in an arguement these days.

I am not sur eif he is at risk for an actual stroke since I have him on Lovenox, but his brain swelling/ bleeding symptoms are supposedly like a stroke if they were to get bad all of a sudden. And he gets so confused, I do not know if he would think the call for help or push the button. It has been several months since anything like that happened.

Thanks for your input!

-DF

dearfoam
                            Participant

Thanks for your input!

-DF

nickmac56
                              Participant

Yes, my wife has had nine brain tumors – after each zapping she is unstable and forgetful. She also had tomotherapy radiation of her spinal tumors and that made her very unstable, lead to her two falls. I've been with her when she had her stroke and seizure and she was unable to talk let alone push a button. If she fell, I think she would be able to push it – but she'd have to wear it and she won't. No matter what her actual capabilities she doesn't want to be perceived as an invalid. So I think the button is window dressing.

nickmac56
                                Participant

Yes, my wife has had nine brain tumors – after each zapping she is unstable and forgetful. She also had tomotherapy radiation of her spinal tumors and that made her very unstable, lead to her two falls. I've been with her when she had her stroke and seizure and she was unable to talk let alone push a button. If she fell, I think she would be able to push it – but she'd have to wear it and she won't. No matter what her actual capabilities she doesn't want to be perceived as an invalid. So I think the button is window dressing.

nickmac56
                                  Participant

nickmac56
                                    Participant

nickmac56
                                      Participant

nickmac56
                                        Participant

nickmac56
                                          Participant

nickmac56
                                            Participant

nickmac56
                                              Participant

nickmac56
                                              Participant

Having invested in such a system (we tied a panic alarm that connects to 911 through our home security system) my perception is that it is a waste of money. My wife is a fall risk, she has fallen twice recently and at the neurologist yesterday couldn't stand alone or walk heel toe. This is due to her radiation treatments and medication most likely. Maybe it wouldn't be a waste if my wfe agreed to wear the panic button, but she will not. It sits on a table right next to where she sits most of the day. But if she gets up to walk to the kitchen or bathroom she will not remember to take it or doesn't think it is necessary. I have watched her when she is in her more befuddled state and she can't remember what it looks like or if it is different from the TV remote. She is also a stroke and seizure risk, and it would do absolutely no good if that would occur – she'd be unable to move, or recognize that she needs to get it. So I think it is a false comfort and peace of mind. Better to invest in making sure regular used pathways are safe, making sure right furniture is in place (i.e., chair assist, grab rails at toilet). 

Nick

nickmac56
                                                Participant

Nick

j.m.l.
                                                  Participant

our company actually installs med. alert systems. They are very valuable. Your father has to be willing to wear it all the time. He also has to be able to activate the button. We strongly recommend that the main unit be connected to a land line for best reliability. Cellular may or may not work in your area.

Our systems check in every week. But you could ask about daily test timer monitoring. This will assure that it is working at least on a daily basis. If not, at least weekly. You could also test it. if you have any other questions, please ask.

JML

j.m.l.
                                                    Participant

our company actually installs med. alert systems. They are very valuable. Your father has to be willing to wear it all the time. He also has to be able to activate the button. We strongly recommend that the main unit be connected to a land line for best reliability. Cellular may or may not work in your area.

Our systems check in every week. But you could ask about daily test timer monitoring. This will assure that it is working at least on a daily basis. If not, at least weekly. You could also test it. if you have any other questions, please ask.

JML

dearfoam
                                                        Participant

We have reliable cell coverage here – we are in a major metro area. As I mentioned, there is the stubborn factor, because dad likes to put on the impression that everything is fine and he is strong and needs no help, though everyone knows better. He usually will only admit to feeling bad or off or weak or nearly falling several hours to days later, which isn't helpful when trying to assess him. 

I imagine we will probably still try to get one, but I wonder, too, if he is confused about his health when he pushes the button, what would he tell the operator? He is not good at explaining things when he is having more problems, like broken sentences and such. Lots of "oh, you know.. I felt … um, tired…, and the dr, you know, she said… so I need to uh rest, and uh, I feel fine" kind of stuff. That's not verbatim, but close to what he would tell people when we were at the hospital last time after he nearly fell three times in one evening and was suffereing from edema. I just wonder if he would pretend things were OK, or even call for help.

Thanks,

DF

j.m.l.
                                                          Participant

I mentioned before that we install med alert systems. I too am a mel. patient with stage 3 , 4 operations and now 1 inoperable tumor. I am finished w. the 2nd infusion.

if your father falls, he only has to press the button. He doesnt have to explain anything to the operator who will come on to the console. If he doesnt say he's ok or doesnt answer, the company will dispatch who ever you set up. It could be you or the police or medical assistance. Its your decision. In any case, please use a land line. Its much more secure than cellular, esp if its not great in your area.

JML

j.m.l.
                                                            Participant

I mentioned before that we install med alert systems. I too am a mel. patient with stage 3 , 4 operations and now 1 inoperable tumor. I am finished w. the 2nd infusion.

if your father falls, he only has to press the button. He doesnt have to explain anything to the operator who will come on to the console. If he doesnt say he's ok or doesnt answer, the company will dispatch who ever you set up. It could be you or the police or medical assistance. Its your decision. In any case, please use a land line. Its much more secure than cellular, esp if its not great in your area.

JML

dearfoam
                                                              Participant

Thanks for the explaination!

dearfoam
                                                                Participant

FYI we decided on MobileHelp because we are in a good coverage area, and it was goign to be too much trouble to get a homeline set up. There is no contract, so if we don't like the service we can drop it. I will try to post a review if we ever actually interact with the service. Hopefully not!

-DF

dearfoam
                                                                  Participant

FYI we decided on MobileHelp because we are in a good coverage area, and it was goign to be too much trouble to get a homeline set up. There is no contract, so if we don't like the service we can drop it. I will try to post a review if we ever actually interact with the service. Hopefully not!

-DF

dearfoam
                                                                    Participant

-DF

dearfoam
                                                                      Participant

dearfoam
                                                                        Participant

j.m.l.
                                                                          Participant

JML

dearfoam
                                                                            Participant

We have reliable cell coverage here – we are in a major metro area. As I mentioned, there is the stubborn factor, because dad likes to put on the impression that everything is fine and he is strong and needs no help, though everyone knows better. He usually will only admit to feeling bad or off or weak or nearly falling several hours to days later, which isn't helpful when trying to assess him. 

I imagine we will probably still try to get one, but I wonder, too, if he is confused about his health when he pushes the button, what would he tell the operator? He is not good at explaining things when he is having more problems, like broken sentences and such. Lots of "oh, you know.. I felt … um, tired…, and the dr, you know, she said… so I need to uh rest, and uh, I feel fine" kind of stuff. That's not verbatim, but close to what he would tell people when we were at the hospital last time after he nearly fell three times in one evening and was suffereing from edema. I just wonder if he would pretend things were OK, or even call for help.

Thanks,

DF

dearfoam
                                                                              Participant

Thanks,

DF

j.m.l.
                                                                              Participant

JML

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                Participant

Comment about the tying of shoes, When I had my double/major groin disection, I started wearing the velcro strap, slide on shoes.  I usually leave the straps a little loose and just slide them on and off without haviing to lossen the straps. (OKAY, maybe I'm getting lazy, but I still like wearing them now that I can again bend enough to touch the floor.)  If I go out to push a car or such I will then tighten the straps more.

I also have a 49 year old house guest that hates to pick things up and keep the floor where I can walk through without turning on an excessive amount of lights.  I have always kept the pathways clear so that I could walk through the house in the dark.  Nowm IF she could just be trained to do things for my safety!

What I finally did to help with my Mothers safety when she had problems was to order items from X10.com that would set off a buzzer when she left her room and even turn on the hall light and a light in my bedroom), and finally even when she even got out of the bed.  At that time I had a TV with a dual display (Channel in channel) and would set up an x-10 camera in her bedroom and display the area wanted so that we could do other thngs around the house and still keep an eye on her as needed.   (multi-camera setups are avilable that can be rotated around different areas are available.)

Good luck and let us know what happens with the emergency set up.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                  Participant

Comment about the tying of shoes, When I had my double/major groin disection, I started wearing the velcro strap, slide on shoes.  I usually leave the straps a little loose and just slide them on and off without haviing to lossen the straps. (OKAY, maybe I'm getting lazy, but I still like wearing them now that I can again bend enough to touch the floor.)  If I go out to push a car or such I will then tighten the straps more.

I also have a 49 year old house guest that hates to pick things up and keep the floor where I can walk through without turning on an excessive amount of lights.  I have always kept the pathways clear so that I could walk through the house in the dark.  Nowm IF she could just be trained to do things for my safety!

What I finally did to help with my Mothers safety when she had problems was to order items from X10.com that would set off a buzzer when she left her room and even turn on the hall light and a light in my bedroom), and finally even when she even got out of the bed.  At that time I had a TV with a dual display (Channel in channel) and would set up an x-10 camera in her bedroom and display the area wanted so that we could do other thngs around the house and still keep an eye on her as needed.   (multi-camera setups are avilable that can be rotated around different areas are available.)

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics