The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wide excision tomorrow. How long for results?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Wide excision tomorrow. How long for results?

Participant

Hello

i am very afraid. I am 47 and went to the doctor 10days ago with a mole that was growing on my shin

The Doctor said yep looks like a melanoma . I have been so stressed and freaked out by this news

I have a husband and 2 kids who need me

My question is after the surgery how long do I have to wait for the stage/results ?

thankyou kindly

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Good morning.  Usually takes about two weeks for the pathology report.  As for your doctor’s comments, it’s impossible to say what it is until the biopsy is examined.  Hang in there and wait for the results.  

youngann
          Participant

The short answer is 2 days to 2 weeks, But, in reality it's as long as it takes the pathologist to get the results back to doctor, then for the doc to review them and get around to calling you. Sorry, that's not much help.

If it's been 10 days already, I'd give the doc a call and follow up.

Good luck.

Ann

Summer13
              Participant

Thanks for replying 

I have been reading everything possible about this

I am very afraid to get my hopes up even though it’s only been diagnosed visually.  The surgeon said yes it’s melanoma but I’m unsure how many he has seen?

I went in yesterday and they canceled my surgery after waiting for 3 miserably long hours!

I go in tomorrow at 8 30

so hoping he got it wrong but too scared to be sure it’s not

Toby0987
                Participant

Ok- here’s the deal. You may have melanoma but until you have  a path report in hand it is impossible to be sure you do. No since getting sad until you know for sure. The lab is the only one that can say for sure not even the most skilled derm/dr/onc can diagnosis it without the lab. Take it one step at a time. Docs like to throw bad news around like it was no big deal. They are used to dealing with patients not people with feelings and they sometimes forget how impactful their words are. Just marinate and take it as it comes. First find out if it is melanoma. If so, then take the next step but until then try not to worry. Toby-3B Mel since 2013 and cancer free

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics