The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Who checks your lymph nodes?

Forums General Melanoma Community Who checks your lymph nodes?

Participant
      I had a stage 1a melanoma removed in 07/2016. I have had follow up appointments with my surgeon (a few too many due to graft failure and what he believes to be some sort of hypersensitivity reaction… but that’s another story) and a skin check complete with full body photography. However, no one has checked my lymph nodes.

Checking them myself makes me super anxious plus… someone should be doing this, right?

So, who checks your lymph nodes? Pcp? Dermatologist? I just watched to make sure I’m following up appropriately.

Thank you!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi,

Different systems seem to operate in diifferent countries.My lymph nodes were checked out 3 monthly for the first 3 years by the plastics team who did the wide excision – not the dermatologist who did the biopsy. This was a small thin melanoma and should have been low risk for progression but I fell the wrong side of the 95% cure line.The risk of recurrence is highest in the 2 year period following treatment BUT can happen years later even after follow up has ceased.

My recurrence was lymph nodes in the groin. It seems strange to say but it really did seem like it went from nothing to a hard noticable lump under the skin the size of a large grape or a bit bigger. The lump was painless., but easy to spot / feel washing in the shower.

At your stage the harm of a sentinel lymph node biopsy would outweigh probable benefits so that was the right call.  

You should be aware of which lymph node group is nearest the original melanoma. This is the area at highest risk for lymph node spread, and so should be kept a particular eye on, but do not prod or poke at the nodes too frequently as they can enlarge due to the disturbance. 

You will probably feel reassured if the nodes are checked out professionally by your preferred team at least 6 monthly .

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi,

Different systems seem to operate in diifferent countries.My lymph nodes were checked out 3 monthly for the first 3 years by the plastics team who did the wide excision – not the dermatologist who did the biopsy. This was a small thin melanoma and should have been low risk for progression but I fell the wrong side of the 95% cure line.The risk of recurrence is highest in the 2 year period following treatment BUT can happen years later even after follow up has ceased.

My recurrence was lymph nodes in the groin. It seems strange to say but it really did seem like it went from nothing to a hard noticable lump under the skin the size of a large grape or a bit bigger. The lump was painless., but easy to spot / feel washing in the shower.

At your stage the harm of a sentinel lymph node biopsy would outweigh probable benefits so that was the right call.  

You should be aware of which lymph node group is nearest the original melanoma. This is the area at highest risk for lymph node spread, and so should be kept a particular eye on, but do not prod or poke at the nodes too frequently as they can enlarge due to the disturbance. 

You will probably feel reassured if the nodes are checked out professionally by your preferred team at least 6 monthly .

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi,

Best wishes

Deb

ldub
              Participant

I had a thin melanoma (Stage 0) in February 2015.  At every visit since then (every six months), I have had my lymph nodes palpated by the dermatologists who see me (this is at a major university skin cancer clinic).  They also taught me how to do it for myself at home.  I pay particular attention to the lymph node basin closest to my lesion.

ldub
                Participant

I had a thin melanoma (Stage 0) in February 2015.  At every visit since then (every six months), I have had my lymph nodes palpated by the dermatologists who see me (this is at a major university skin cancer clinic).  They also taught me how to do it for myself at home.  I pay particular attention to the lymph node basin closest to my lesion.

ldub
                  Participant

Alce123
                    Participant
                      Thank you guys! I do know how to check my lymph nodes. I’m actually a medical professional but for some reason checking them myself makes me very anxious. I’ll have to work on that one and bring it up to you dermatologist as well (I see them most often so it probably makes sense to have them do it).

Thanks agqin!

Alce123
                      Participant
                        Thank you guys! I do know how to check my lymph nodes. I’m actually a medical professional but for some reason checking them myself makes me very anxious. I’ll have to work on that one and bring it up to you dermatologist as well (I see them most often so it probably makes sense to have them do it).

Thanks agqin!

Alce123
                        Participant

Thanks agqin!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics