The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Where to next?

Forums General Melanoma Community Where to next?

Participant

Hi all, kudos to all you hard fighting worriers of this terrible disease.

I have just had an op to remove a met mel tumour lodged between my pancreas and colon. The op was successful and the tumour removed but then my colon developed a leak. This all involved a hospital stay of some 5 weeks due to infection having manifested itself.

While in hospital various scans had to be taken and one in particular worries me. When confronted the doctors merely told me not to worry as thay had more serious issues to deal with in view of the colon leak. I accepted the fact that this was priority.

The scan report reads as following:

There is sclerotic focus in the left iliac blade.

This can represent a bone island but a focal metastatic lesion is not excluded.

What does this indicate – a possible further met malenoma.

The doctors have ignored my request for an interpretation.

Has anybody out there had a similar result and what were the consequenses?

I really could not face a further cession in hospital after having had my stomach due to melanoma removed in November 2015 and now this melanoma in November 2016 as described above.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Regards. Wally

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Wally,

Not a medic- so bear this in mind. they are looking at the iliac blade which is part of the pelvis. So its the left bit of your pelvis that has a patch of bone that is different on CT. 

this link explains it a bit more- https://radiopaedia.org/articles/enostosis

The person interpreting the scan has outlined  two possibles- from the scan- a benign bone island or possibly melanoma again.

Sounds like you have really been through a lot with melanoma, and I am sorry you feel the docs are ignoring your requests for clarity. In view of your history I'm  sure there will be other scans done earlier in your treatment that will likely indicate if this is something new for you.

If it was more melanoma I really don't know what the treatment might be. It does sound like there is some doubt about what this represents and by the sound of things you have had more than enough to deal with before Christmas. Hope you are starting to feel better and that it does turn out not to be more melanoma.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi Wally,

Not a medic- so bear this in mind. they are looking at the iliac blade which is part of the pelvis. So its the left bit of your pelvis that has a patch of bone that is different on CT. 

The person interpreting the scan has outlined  two possibles- from the scan- a benign bone island or possibly melanoma again.

Sounds like you have really been through a lot with melanoma, and I am sorry you feel the docs are ignoring your requests for clarity. In view of your history I'm  sure there will be other scans done earlier in your treatment that will likely indicate if this is something new for you.

If it was more melanoma I really don't know what the treatment might be. It does sound like there is some doubt about what this represents and by the sound of things you have had more than enough to deal with before Christmas. Hope you are starting to feel better and that it does turn out not to be more melanoma.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi Wally,

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
              Participant

Hi Wally,

Best wishes

Deb

WallyE
                  Participant

Thank you so much Deb. I will be seeing my Oncologist on 24/1 so  hopefully she will take this a step further. Your responses are comforting and much appreciated. Sincerely yours. Wally.

WallyE
                    Participant

Thank you so much Deb. I will be seeing my Oncologist on 24/1 so  hopefully she will take this a step further. Your responses are comforting and much appreciated. Sincerely yours. Wally.

WallyE
                      Participant

debwray
                      Participant

Hi Wally,

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Hi Wally,

Best wishes

Deb

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics