The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Where to Donate?

Forums General Melanoma Community Where to Donate?

Participant

Hello All,

I was recently diagnosed Stage 1a at a depth of 0.23mm about two months ago. I am still dealing with the stress and anxiety from this diagnosis, but I want to help beat this thing for all of you stage 3 and 4's out there. I feel so bad when I read all of your stories and what you are going through it breaks my heart. I realize I am in a very good spot with my prognosis, but am still scared. Anyhow, I wanted to start donating to research to help cure this dreadful disease. I have been on so many websites and I am just not sure which to donate to. Where do you guys think the majority of our money should be going? I wanted to invest in breakthrough treatments and such that have been made in melanoma, not necessarily a site that spends all their money on education. I think research is where I want to donate my money to and wanted to hear your guys thoughts on what you think is the best place to donate. Let me know your thoughts, thank you. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

This is the best place I have found for direct melanoma research donations. 45% of their donations go toward research for treatment, it's not just all education. This site has been around for a long time. So, as far as I know, this is the best spot. Thank you so much for wanting to help out, any melanoma diagnosis is scary and changes lives forever. 

jennunicorn
          Participant

This is the best place I have found for direct melanoma research donations. 45% of their donations go toward research for treatment, it's not just all education. This site has been around for a long time. So, as far as I know, this is the best spot. Thank you so much for wanting to help out, any melanoma diagnosis is scary and changes lives forever. 

geriakt
            Participant

Your donation money may be better served given to a melanoma charity that helps the patient with travel expenses and medical expenses. BMS and Merck dump lots of money into research and clinical trials. I am part of a clinical trial but have to drive 65 miles each way to the hospital and back and at times I have to stay the night. My trial required 40 visits a year to the hospital for 34 chemo treatments in a 50 week period. Also my deductible my first year was about $15,000. Everything is not covered by a trial but the patient is the main lab rat.  2 charities provided $3500 to me to help cover some of my expense. 

Do not forget research is not just drugs and a lab. They need to work on a patient and they have to devote the time and a living body.

Rays Awareness and Me Strong provided funding to me. Both are in my area of Central Florida.

http://www.billwalteriii.org

Tom

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics