The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When to start Interferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community When to start Interferon?

Participant

My husband TJ was dx with Stage 3b MM (amelanotic with unknown primary) in Nov.  We are waiting to hear

if he qualifies for the GSK DERMA clinical trail.  The process is taking much longer than expected.  We plan to 

start Interferon if he does not qualify.  Wondering what the optimal time frame is to start?  I thought I had heard

approx 70 days post dx (or maybe post op??).  He had the node removed on 11/4 and parotidectomy and SLND on 12/2.

Thanks 

Kelly

My husband TJ was dx with Stage 3b MM (amelanotic with unknown primary) in Nov.  We are waiting to hear

if he qualifies for the GSK DERMA clinical trail.  The process is taking much longer than expected.  We plan to 

start Interferon if he does not qualify.  Wondering what the optimal time frame is to start?  I thought I had heard

approx 70 days post dx (or maybe post op??).  He had the node removed on 11/4 and parotidectomy and SLND on 12/2.

Thanks 

Kelly

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Unless things have changed in the last few years, Interferon is best started within 58 days of the last surgery

Janner
            Participant

Just to expand on Dian's comment….

All the clinical trials for Interferon's effectiveness required that a person start the trial within 58 days of surgery.  This means that if you start Interferon later than 58 days after surgery, the statistics that you based your decision for using Interferon are no longer valid.  It doesn't mean Interferon will or won't be effective for you.  It doesn't have great numbers to begin with.  But any statistics you see regarding Interferon are based on starting treatment within that 58 days.

Best wishes,

Janner

ockelly
              Participant

Thanks for the info Janner

Kelly

ockelly
                Participant

Thanks for the info Janner

Kelly

Janner
                  Participant

Just to expand on Dian's comment….

All the clinical trials for Interferon's effectiveness required that a person start the trial within 58 days of surgery.  This means that if you start Interferon later than 58 days after surgery, the statistics that you based your decision for using Interferon are no longer valid.  It doesn't mean Interferon will or won't be effective for you.  It doesn't have great numbers to begin with.  But any statistics you see regarding Interferon are based on starting treatment within that 58 days.

Best wishes,

Janner

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Unless things have changed in the last few years, Interferon is best started within 58 days of the last surgery

joy_
                    Participant

It is post op.  My husband had amelanotic too and had hoped for the DERMA trial but didn't quality so he did one month of interferon.  That study looks good.  Hope it works out for you guys!

ockelly
                        Participant

Tracy

How long after SLND did your husband start Interferon?

Kelly

joy_
                          Participant

He started at 62 days post op.  It took longer than usual for us to find out he did not qualify for the trial…

joy_
                            Participant

He started at 62 days post op.  It took longer than usual for us to find out he did not qualify for the trial…

ockelly
                              Participant

Tracy

How long after SLND did your husband start Interferon?

Kelly

joy_
                              Participant

It is post op.  My husband had amelanotic too and had hoped for the DERMA trial but didn't quality so he did one month of interferon.  That study looks good.  Hope it works out for you guys!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics