The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When (if ever) to call the oncologist

Forums General Melanoma Community When (if ever) to call the oncologist

Participant

After receiving the DTaP vaccine last June, my husband got very sick – mild head cold, but extreme fatigue (like, can't get out of bed for 20 hours a day) for 12 days, until he got on an antibiotic and flonase and whatever it was got kicked by day 14.  He had his semi-annual oncology appointment in August and bloodwork was fine – first year with no scans.  In late September, the whole family had a very mild cold (we have 2 little girls), and he was completely laid up again with the debilitating fatigue.

After receiving the DTaP vaccine last June, my husband got very sick – mild head cold, but extreme fatigue (like, can't get out of bed for 20 hours a day) for 12 days, until he got on an antibiotic and flonase and whatever it was got kicked by day 14.  He had his semi-annual oncology appointment in August and bloodwork was fine – first year with no scans.  In late September, the whole family had a very mild cold (we have 2 little girls), and he was completely laid up again with the debilitating fatigue.  This time, he go the antibiotic at day 4 and kicked it by day 7, but is still a little touch and go – still a bit tired, but who can tell if that's normal from having a 7 month old and a 3 year old…

Anyway, his doctor wants him to go to a rheumatologist because she thinks it's an immune problem.  He saw an ENT today and is being tested for mono, but even if it is mono, recurrent mono is an immune issue, so… does this warrent a call to the oncologist?  I don't know what for, but I think immune deficiency, and it scares me.

He's 10.5 years NED, stage iiia.

Thanks,

Wendy

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant
          Hi Wendy,
          In my opinion I would call. One thing about melanoma is the worrying and wondering if every bump, pain or symptom is a recurrence. Why not go see him and put your worrys to rest? I will tell you that before my initial diagnosis I was sick all the time. It seemed like I caught every cold or flu going around. I think my immune system was busy fighting the cancer. I was also very fatigued and slept a lot. It could be nothing but I wouldn’t worry about bothering your oncologist and putting your minds at ease.
          DeniseK
          Participant
            Hi Wendy,
            In my opinion I would call. One thing about melanoma is the worrying and wondering if every bump, pain or symptom is a recurrence. Why not go see him and put your worrys to rest? I will tell you that before my initial diagnosis I was sick all the time. It seemed like I caught every cold or flu going around. I think my immune system was busy fighting the cancer. I was also very fatigued and slept a lot. It could be nothing but I wouldn’t worry about bothering your oncologist and putting your minds at ease.
            DeniseK
            Participant
              Hi Wendy,
              jupeter41
              Participant

Need to stay with positive with fresh and make a some treatment and food plan from doctor so will cure soon as possible.

submersible pressure transmitter

jupeter41
                Participant

Need to stay with positive with fresh and make a some treatment and food plan from doctor so will cure soon as possible.

jupeter41
                  Participant

clientcommon
                    Participant

These are main reason to call doctor Exposure to chickenpox, shingles, measles, rubella or hepatitis,Mouth sores
                      Earache, cold, flu or sore throat,Constant headache, nausea, vomiting, rash or itching.

home pest controls

tuneseo
                        Participant

Very critical problem when any one suffers from such diseases and very hard to stay and breathe everytime.

payroll compliance software

Snickers60
                          Participant

Dr. B. told Wayne (hubby) not to EVER TAKE A VACCINE of any kind.   They are live viruses and they just do not know what

they will do to Melanoma !    SOOOOO sorry you are going through this, but by all means CALL the ONCO, that's what they are there for !      BEST WISHES FOR COMPLETE HEALING SOON !   '

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne ) <><

POW
                            Participant

Nancy, could you clarify what your doctor told Wayne? When you say, "Never take a vaccine of any kind." I assume you mean a normal-type vaccine that anybody can have– like a flu vaccine or a measels vaccine or something like that. There are now a lot of melanoma clinical trials that include a "vaccine" component that consists of short melanoma-related peptides, not live organisms. You doctor wasn't suggesting that Wayne (and the rest of us) avoid those clinical trials, was he?

POW
                              Participant

Nancy, could you clarify what your doctor told Wayne? When you say, "Never take a vaccine of any kind." I assume you mean a normal-type vaccine that anybody can have– like a flu vaccine or a measels vaccine or something like that. There are now a lot of melanoma clinical trials that include a "vaccine" component that consists of short melanoma-related peptides, not live organisms. You doctor wasn't suggesting that Wayne (and the rest of us) avoid those clinical trials, was he?

POW
                                Participant

Snickers60
                                  Participant

Dr. B. told Wayne (hubby) not to EVER TAKE A VACCINE of any kind.   They are live viruses and they just do not know what

they will do to Melanoma !    SOOOOO sorry you are going through this, but by all means CALL the ONCO, that's what they are there for !      BEST WISHES FOR COMPLETE HEALING SOON !   '

Snickers60
                                    Participant

tuneseo
                                      Participant

Very critical problem when any one suffers from such diseases and very hard to stay and breathe everytime.

tuneseo
                                        Participant

clientcommon
                                        Participant

These are main reason to call doctor Exposure to chickenpox, shingles, measles, rubella or hepatitis,Mouth sores
                                          Earache, cold, flu or sore throat,Constant headache, nausea, vomiting, rash or itching.

home pest controls

clientcommon
                                          Participant

home pest controls

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics