The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“When Breath Becomes Air” – and other memoirs?

Forums General Melanoma Community “When Breath Becomes Air” – and other memoirs?

Participant

Just finished reading "When Breath Becomes Air," a memoir someone on these boards recommended in a post (can't remember which one/when). Can't thank whoever it was enough for the recommendation! I finally felt connected with someone grappling with the intensity and reality and ambiguity of being diagnosed with a terminal illness (like Stage 4 melanoma, despite the hope that it may (or may not) be a chronic illness).

If anyone else has found a memoir or book helpful in this journey, please do share!!! Would love to hear what others are reading to help cope and process this life-altering, future-smashing, unpredictable, and humbling diagnosis of metastic melanoma….

Many thanks –

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jane Hearn
        Participant

I just read "When Breath Becomes Air" yesterday.  It was the first book in a long time that I absolutely couldn't put down; I read it into the night until I was finished.  Not only is it relevant to my life (my husband has stage IV melanoma), but it is a well-written, beautiful, engaging story.  There is good reason this book is currently #1 the NYT Best Sellers List and has been in the top 10 for some time.  

Jane Hearn
          Participant

I just read "When Breath Becomes Air" yesterday.  It was the first book in a long time that I absolutely couldn't put down; I read it into the night until I was finished.  Not only is it relevant to my life (my husband has stage IV melanoma), but it is a well-written, beautiful, engaging story.  There is good reason this book is currently #1 the NYT Best Sellers List and has been in the top 10 for some time.  

Jane Hearn
            Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

Just finished this book, took a few hours, but I couldn't stop. I live very close to Stanford, his favorite place to ride his bike is literally up the road from me, and his wife did her residency at UCSF which is where I go for my treatment. I always love when I can read a book that is set in the same place I live, makes it feel more personal I guess. 

One of my favorite parts of the book was, “Getting too deeply into statistics is like trying to quench a thirst with salty water. The angst of facing mortality has no remedy in probability”. Since statistics for us melanoma folks is so outdated, they are silly to look at and we know that. I think for any cancer patient that quote would be a good one for them to read.

jennunicorn
                Participant

Just finished this book, took a few hours, but I couldn't stop. I live very close to Stanford, his favorite place to ride his bike is literally up the road from me, and his wife did her residency at UCSF which is where I go for my treatment. I always love when I can read a book that is set in the same place I live, makes it feel more personal I guess. 

One of my favorite parts of the book was, “Getting too deeply into statistics is like trying to quench a thirst with salty water. The angst of facing mortality has no remedy in probability”. Since statistics for us melanoma folks is so outdated, they are silly to look at and we know that. I think for any cancer patient that quote would be a good one for them to read.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Julie in SoCal
                    Participant

Yes, I too just finished it.  Wow! beautifully written- down right gorgous!  Wow.  I think this is the cancer story book I've identified with the most.  

Thanks for recomending this!

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                      Participant

Yes, I too just finished it.  Wow! beautifully written- down right gorgous!  Wow.  I think this is the cancer story book I've identified with the most.  

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                        Participant

Julie

Maria C
                          Participant

Thanks all for responding and glad so many have shared this insightful read! Having been diagnosed with brain mets myself, I couldn't help but connect with the author's deep and lifelong quest to explore the interdependency of biology and persona, which is all held together so tenderly in the brain.

Talk about mind games…the author's twin career/curiositiy pursuits of neuroscience and literature to better understand the intersection of life, meaning, and death is torn wide open with his own diagnosis. ("Shouldn't terminal illness, then, be the perfect gift to that young man who had wanted to understand death? What better way to understand it than to live it?" Heartbreaking!!)

I related to his wrestling with the stats, and struggle to redefine who he is without a 20-year career/life trajectory ahead of him.

The author listed a bunch of books he was reading himself…I may dig into those next. Again, any other reading recommendations much appreciated.

Maria C
                            Participant

Thanks all for responding and glad so many have shared this insightful read! Having been diagnosed with brain mets myself, I couldn't help but connect with the author's deep and lifelong quest to explore the interdependency of biology and persona, which is all held together so tenderly in the brain.

Talk about mind games…the author's twin career/curiositiy pursuits of neuroscience and literature to better understand the intersection of life, meaning, and death is torn wide open with his own diagnosis. ("Shouldn't terminal illness, then, be the perfect gift to that young man who had wanted to understand death? What better way to understand it than to live it?" Heartbreaking!!)

I related to his wrestling with the stats, and struggle to redefine who he is without a 20-year career/life trajectory ahead of him.

The author listed a bunch of books he was reading himself…I may dig into those next. Again, any other reading recommendations much appreciated.

Maria C
                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                Participant

I just started reading "Everything Changes: The Insider's Guide to Cancer in Your 20's and 30's". Being 29 I think this might be exactly what I need to read right now. About a young woman who was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 27. First chapter in and it's excellent so far.

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

I just started reading "Everything Changes: The Insider's Guide to Cancer in Your 20's and 30's". Being 29 I think this might be exactly what I need to read right now. About a young woman who was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 27. First chapter in and it's excellent so far.

Maria C
                                      Participant

Thank you Jenn. Will definitely look into "Everything Changes," esp. for my son who was 22 when diagnosed (different cancer).

Maria C
                                        Participant

Thank you Jenn. Will definitely look into "Everything Changes," esp. for my son who was 22 when diagnosed (different cancer).

Maria C
                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

DZnDef
                                            Participant

Maria,

Thanks for that re-recommendation.  I'll pick up that book.  Below are two books that I have read that I found helpful in my own journey though they are not memoirs.

"Love, Medicine & Miracles…" By Bernie Siegal, a surgical oncologist.   I found this book very thought-provoking regarding the role attitude and mind-set play in healing.

"Radical Remission.  The Nine Key Factors That Can Make a Real Difference.  Surviving Cancer Against All Odds". By Kelly A. Turner PhD.  She researches and interviews people behind documented cases of spontaneous remission to learn if there are any consistent threads/themes among these types of survivors.

I hope more folks suggest some good reading!

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                              Participant

Maria,

Thanks for that re-recommendation.  I'll pick up that book.  Below are two books that I have read that I found helpful in my own journey though they are not memoirs.

"Love, Medicine & Miracles…" By Bernie Siegal, a surgical oncologist.   I found this book very thought-provoking regarding the role attitude and mind-set play in healing.

"Radical Remission.  The Nine Key Factors That Can Make a Real Difference.  Surviving Cancer Against All Odds". By Kelly A. Turner PhD.  She researches and interviews people behind documented cases of spontaneous remission to learn if there are any consistent threads/themes among these types of survivors.

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Maria,

Cheers!

Maggie

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics