The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What to expect after Craniotomy?

Forums General Melanoma Community What to expect after Craniotomy?

Participant

Eric had the emergency Craniotomy on Saturday, November 6th.  He still has balance issues and just wants to sleep all day.  About 4 days before he had the surgery he started with hiccups around the clock and immediately after the surgery the stopped but now they have started again and I'm worried that maybe he has some swelling in the brain.

Is it normal for him to be very fatigued?  What should I expect?  Also he is scheduled to see someone on Monday for Gamma Knife, what should I expect from that as well.

Eric had the emergency Craniotomy on Saturday, November 6th.  He still has balance issues and just wants to sleep all day.  About 4 days before he had the surgery he started with hiccups around the clock and immediately after the surgery the stopped but now they have started again and I'm worried that maybe he has some swelling in the brain.

Is it normal for him to be very fatigued?  What should I expect?  Also he is scheduled to see someone on Monday for Gamma Knife, what should I expect from that as well.

Thank you guys.  I don't know what I would do without all of you.

JillNEric In OH

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jolainajo
        Participant

Hi Jill,

It is normal for him to be fatigued, I had gamma knife in late aug, on 2 tumors, one on the front right, and one on the back left. They put a halo on which was horrible, then I waited for 7 hours for them to map out the precise areas to do the radiation(gamma knife), I was very soar afterward, probubly from the halo, but had the worst headache that day I have ever had. Then, I was tired for about 2 weeks, and then I saw this round flashing rainbow and still see it occasionally. It kinda freaks me out sometimes, because I know what it is from, but the areas that they do radiation on swell first then they go down, in some cases they will use steroids but others they dont. I hope things go well for your husband, and I know that this is a hard time, I know from first hand experience. Keep stong for him… I hate this cancer, were too young to have to be going through this. I hope you keep us updated..  Praying…. Jolaina

jolainajo
          Participant

Hi Jill,

It is normal for him to be fatigued, I had gamma knife in late aug, on 2 tumors, one on the front right, and one on the back left. They put a halo on which was horrible, then I waited for 7 hours for them to map out the precise areas to do the radiation(gamma knife), I was very soar afterward, probubly from the halo, but had the worst headache that day I have ever had. Then, I was tired for about 2 weeks, and then I saw this round flashing rainbow and still see it occasionally. It kinda freaks me out sometimes, because I know what it is from, but the areas that they do radiation on swell first then they go down, in some cases they will use steroids but others they dont. I hope things go well for your husband, and I know that this is a hard time, I know from first hand experience. Keep stong for him… I hate this cancer, were too young to have to be going through this. I hope you keep us updated..  Praying…. Jolaina

Carmon in NM
            Participant

Hi Jill – for at least the first three weeks after my emergency craniotomy I was asleep more than I was awake. My oncology neurologist assured me this was not only normal but very good. She said the brain does the majority of its healing during the deep sleep phase and to sleep as much as I could. As long as it wasn't difficult to wake me up, she assured my care givers I was fine.

I had mild headaches and a feeling of pressure in my head for several weeks too along with the other side effects. Your husband's brain has been through a big trauma and it will take a while for it to begin to heal and sort itself out again. Because I lost shape recognition, I had to ask people to treat me as though they were in a blind person's house because if they moved things around and I saw them out of the context I was used to, I would have to actually put my hands on things to figure out what they were.

It's been five months now since the craniotomy for me and four since gamma knife and some symptoms still come and go a bit, especially if I let myself get too tired. Carmon in NM

Carmon in NM
              Participant

Hi Jill – for at least the first three weeks after my emergency craniotomy I was asleep more than I was awake. My oncology neurologist assured me this was not only normal but very good. She said the brain does the majority of its healing during the deep sleep phase and to sleep as much as I could. As long as it wasn't difficult to wake me up, she assured my care givers I was fine.

I had mild headaches and a feeling of pressure in my head for several weeks too along with the other side effects. Your husband's brain has been through a big trauma and it will take a while for it to begin to heal and sort itself out again. Because I lost shape recognition, I had to ask people to treat me as though they were in a blind person's house because if they moved things around and I saw them out of the context I was used to, I would have to actually put my hands on things to figure out what they were.

It's been five months now since the craniotomy for me and four since gamma knife and some symptoms still come and go a bit, especially if I let myself get too tired. Carmon in NM

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics