The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What to do next

Forums General Melanoma Community What to do next

Participant

So I had the testing and I am neg for BRAF NRAS and CKIt. I am starting ippi on Friday and hoping for an EAP for PD-1 to open soon. I am in Tucson AZ so does anyone know of an opening for PD-1 on the west coast I will travel if I can get into a trial. IL-2 is not really an option due to my asthma I am stage 4 so I am open to all suggestions. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cbs805
        Participant

The Mayo Clinic including the Scottsdale location have expanded access PD1. To  qualify for the expanded access program you do have to complete ipi first. My husband has been on the expanded access program at Beverly Hills Cancer Center since April. It was the first location to have it available and is where he has been treated all along by Dr. O'Day.  He will have his first scans since the PD 1 in July.  He has no tumors that can be felt so we don't  know what is happening, but he feels great.  Much better than he has since being diagnosed April, 2013.  He has mucosal melanoma of the sinus.  Been through 3 surgeries, chemo, radiation. Cyber knife, 2 rounds of ipi, etc.  Dr. O'Day is very optimistic that good things are happening now.

Ninniditti
            Participant

Hi! I also have mucosal melanoma of the sinus. I hade Ipi, but my livervalues got bad after the firs dose so I had to stop ipi. Now I want to have PD1( EAP Merk) but my onc doesn't want to give me another immuntherapi  cause I had severe sideffects of ipi. I am curious how your husbands scans work out, really hoping it's really good!

arthurjedi007
              Participant

You might want to get a second opinion. Your doc is right that the sideffects of ipi can be severe even at the FDA approved dosage. However at the dosage of the EAP Merck the data has way less sideffects. I get my 2nd dose wednesday and the dosage is 2mg per kg of body weight every 3 weeks. If we look at Merck's data at that dosage if I read it right they had zero grade 3 or higher side affects.   http://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa1305133/suppl_file/nejmoa1305133_appendix.pdf    and   http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1305133#t=articleResults

arthurjedi007
                Participant

You might want to get a second opinion. Your doc is right that the sideffects of ipi can be severe even at the FDA approved dosage. However at the dosage of the EAP Merck the data has way less sideffects. I get my 2nd dose wednesday and the dosage is 2mg per kg of body weight every 3 weeks. If we look at Merck's data at that dosage if I read it right they had zero grade 3 or higher side affects.   http://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa1305133/suppl_file/nejmoa1305133_appendix.pdf    and   http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1305133#t=articleResults

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Ninniditti
                    Participant

Hi! I also have mucosal melanoma of the sinus. I hade Ipi, but my livervalues got bad after the firs dose so I had to stop ipi. Now I want to have PD1( EAP Merk) but my onc doesn't want to give me another immuntherapi  cause I had severe sideffects of ipi. I am curious how your husbands scans work out, really hoping it's really good!

Ninniditti
                      Participant

cbs805
                      Participant

The Mayo Clinic including the Scottsdale location have expanded access PD1. To  qualify for the expanded access program you do have to complete ipi first. My husband has been on the expanded access program at Beverly Hills Cancer Center since April. It was the first location to have it available and is where he has been treated all along by Dr. O'Day.  He will have his first scans since the PD 1 in July.  He has no tumors that can be felt so we don't  know what is happening, but he feels great.  Much better than he has since being diagnosed April, 2013.  He has mucosal melanoma of the sinus.  Been through 3 surgeries, chemo, radiation. Cyber knife, 2 rounds of ipi, etc.  Dr. O'Day is very optimistic that good things are happening now.

cbs805
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics