The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What posts get responses?

Forums General Melanoma Community What posts get responses?

Participant

I notice for whatever reason that some posts/questions get many many responses, while others get none or very little.  I can't figure out what the "pattern" is.  An interest-generating subject line?  Not posting anonymously? 

I notice for whatever reason that some posts/questions get many many responses, while others get none or very little.  I can't figure out what the "pattern" is.  An interest-generating subject line?  Not posting anonymously? 

Viewing 24 reply threads
    • Replies
        gloria
        Participant

I think it depends on if anyone has experience with what someone is asking.  Some things are so specific to one person only that there really can't be much of a response.  Many times, like today, I notice people are just posting a comment without really asking a question.

It also helps when the posts are in English!  🙂

gloria
          Participant

I think it depends on if anyone has experience with what someone is asking.  Some things are so specific to one person only that there really can't be much of a response.  Many times, like today, I notice people are just posting a comment without really asking a question.

gloria
            Participant

JC
              Participant

Or if the person posting is well-known on the board, their story is being followed, etc….

JC
                Participant

Or if the person posting is well-known on the board, their story is being followed, etc….

JC
                  Participant

hbecker
                    Participant

Interesting question, since I was just noticing the slow responses. I think it's summer and people who monitor this board regularly may be on vacation. That may not be comforting to those with pressing worries … but I won't be surprised to see some of these questions answered within the next week or so.

I don't have enough experience to answer most of these questions – sorry.

~Hazel

hbecker
                      Participant

Interesting question, since I was just noticing the slow responses. I think it's summer and people who monitor this board regularly may be on vacation. That may not be comforting to those with pressing worries … but I won't be surprised to see some of these questions answered within the next week or so.

~Hazel

hbecker
                        Participant

~Hazel

POW
                          Participant

I have been involved with a couple of online forums over the years and have noticed the same thing. Mostly, only small percent of the people who view a post reply to it (that figure seems to be 1%-3% on MPIP). Also, activity seems to wax and wane over time for no apparent reason. So I think MPIP is going through a normal slow period.

But for what it's worth, here are my observations about forum activity:

1. Forum participants tend to "get to know each other" over time and they are more likely to pay attention to and respond to posts from people they "know". So posting anonymously will get fewer replies than named posts– nobody knows "anonymous".

2. Asking a specific question about something or specifically asking for help about something will get more replies than making a general statement or observation.

3. The more information we have about your situation, the better able we are to help. Creating and updating a profile helps a lot. Saying "I live in such-and-such a city. I am Stage IV with mets here and here. I have had this treatment at this location but now the melanoma is growing again.  Are there any clinical trials I should investigate?" will net more responses than a simple "I have melanoma. Should I consider a clinical trial?"

4. If you happen to post something on a "slow" day, your post might get displaced to the bottom of the page over the course of a couple of days and people don't notice it. If a response is important to you, reply to your own post and say, "Hey, folks, does anyone have any suggestions about this?" Your reply will push your own post to the top of the list again where it is more likely to be noticed.

5. The more you try to help other people, either with specific suggestons or general support and concern, the more likely people are to try to help you.

POW
                            Participant

I have been involved with a couple of online forums over the years and have noticed the same thing. Mostly, only small percent of the people who view a post reply to it (that figure seems to be 1%-3% on MPIP). Also, activity seems to wax and wane over time for no apparent reason. So I think MPIP is going through a normal slow period.

1. Forum participants tend to "get to know each other" over time and they are more likely to pay attention to and respond to posts from people they "know". So posting anonymously will get fewer replies than named posts– nobody knows "anonymous".

2. Asking a specific question about something or specifically asking for help about something will get more replies than making a general statement or observation.

3. The more information we have about your situation, the better able we are to help. Creating and updating a profile helps a lot. Saying "I live in such-and-such a city. I am Stage IV with mets here and here. I have had this treatment at this location but now the melanoma is growing again.  Are there any clinical trials I should investigate?" will net more responses than a simple "I have melanoma. Should I consider a clinical trial?"

4. If you happen to post something on a "slow" day, your post might get displaced to the bottom of the page over the course of a couple of days and people don't notice it. If a response is important to you, reply to your own post and say, "Hey, folks, does anyone have any suggestions about this?" Your reply will push your own post to the top of the list again where it is more likely to be noticed.

5. The more you try to help other people, either with specific suggestons or general support and concern, the more likely people are to try to help you.

POW
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

I don't think replying pushes your post to the top of the list.  ?

JC
                                  Participant

I would hope that if someone comes here looking for information from those who know, they would get responses whether or not they are in the "people well known" group.

JC
                                    Participant

I would hope that if someone comes here looking for information from those who know, they would get responses whether or not they are in the "people well known" group.

JC
                                      Participant

POW
                                        Participant

You can choose to sort the posts by "Topic Post Date" or by "Reply Post Date". I always use "Reply Post Date" so for me, a new reply would go to the top of the list. But you are correct. For those who sort by "Topic Post Date", only a new thread would appear at the top of the list. 

POW
                                          Participant

Of course they do! Who said they didn't? The OP was asking what to do if a post did not get responses, which does happen sometimes whether or not the person is a regular.

DeniseK
                                            Participant

I think if no one knows the answer or what to say to a specific post it would not get replies.  For instance people from other countries ask how to get help recently and I know that I wouldn't have a clue how to help so I would just not reply.  Then like Pat said if it's a statement or update which I do quite often I wouldn't expect any replies just letting everyone know what's going on.  Then theres questions that we all know Janner could answer the best so we don't reply.  At least that's how I do things. smiley

DeniseK
                                              Participant

I think if no one knows the answer or what to say to a specific post it would not get replies.  For instance people from other countries ask how to get help recently and I know that I wouldn't have a clue how to help so I would just not reply.  Then like Pat said if it's a statement or update which I do quite often I wouldn't expect any replies just letting everyone know what's going on.  Then theres questions that we all know Janner could answer the best so we don't reply.  At least that's how I do things. smiley

DeniseK
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                  Participant

Denise et.al. – Don't wait on me!  Not around as much right now and I already answer way too many! 

What I've noticed over time:

* questions are so specific about a particular trial or treatment and hence limits the audience.  If you haven't done that trial or had that side effect, you can't comment.  Bigger trials – not as much problem.  But smaller trials, the audience is limited.

* Anonymous posting – I agree.  Doesn't mean it won't get answered but people tend to relate to a name better – even if the name is nonsensical.  I respond to anonymous postings but have to say I prefer responding to someone I could recognize later.  I understand and respect the need for being anonymous for some questions, but still prefer to relate to a particular name.

* Questions with titles that aren't descriptive or too descriptive.  The title might keep someone from reading a post thinking they don't have the right knowledge.  In my experience, it seems like the title really is the key for getting answers.  So if you don't get answers to a posted question, try doing it again with a different title.  I personally like:  "Looking for feedback on…." and titles that invite answers.

* Titles that really don't relate to the questions in the post.  Again, the title might make someone think they don't know the answer so they don't open the post.

* Questions posted on weekends when there is less volume may get pushed down.

Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason.  Just the luck of who logs in.  Because I already respond to so many questions, I tend not to reply to the "warm fuzzy" posts.  Others don't have the technical knowledge but will respond to those other type of posts to show support.  In general, summer tends to be a slower time too.

bj63
                                                    Participant

I can't speak for others but I do read regularly – about once a week on average.  I seldom post.  I regularly update my history in my profile should anybody care to wade through it.  Everybody's experience is different and unless I have something that I think might be useful or helpful to someone else's situation, I generally just read through the message threads and then move on.  The couple of times I've asked direct questions I've received an answer from someone who has had a similar experience, usually within a day or two.  Lastly, whether a poster uses a handle or or posts anonymously doesn't make much difference to me as long as they're not spamming, being rude, or engaging in some other undesirable online behavior.

BJ63

bj63
                                                      Participant

I can't speak for others but I do read regularly – about once a week on average.  I seldom post.  I regularly update my history in my profile should anybody care to wade through it.  Everybody's experience is different and unless I have something that I think might be useful or helpful to someone else's situation, I generally just read through the message threads and then move on.  The couple of times I've asked direct questions I've received an answer from someone who has had a similar experience, usually within a day or two.  Lastly, whether a poster uses a handle or or posts anonymously doesn't make much difference to me as long as they're not spamming, being rude, or engaging in some other undesirable online behavior.

BJ63

bj63
                                                        Participant

BJ63

JC
                                                          Participant

JC
                                                            Participant

POW
                                                              Participant

You can choose to sort the posts by "Topic Post Date" or by "Reply Post Date". I always use "Reply Post Date" so for me, a new reply would go to the top of the list. But you are correct. For those who sort by "Topic Post Date", only a new thread would appear at the top of the list. 

POW
                                                                Participant

POW
                                                                  Participant

Of course they do! Who said they didn't? The OP was asking what to do if a post did not get responses, which does happen sometimes whether or not the person is a regular.

POW
                                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                                      Participant

Denise et.al. – Don't wait on me!  Not around as much right now and I already answer way too many! 

* questions are so specific about a particular trial or treatment and hence limits the audience.  If you haven't done that trial or had that side effect, you can't comment.  Bigger trials – not as much problem.  But smaller trials, the audience is limited.

* Anonymous posting – I agree.  Doesn't mean it won't get answered but people tend to relate to a name better – even if the name is nonsensical.  I respond to anonymous postings but have to say I prefer responding to someone I could recognize later.  I understand and respect the need for being anonymous for some questions, but still prefer to relate to a particular name.

* Questions with titles that aren't descriptive or too descriptive.  The title might keep someone from reading a post thinking they don't have the right knowledge.  In my experience, it seems like the title really is the key for getting answers.  So if you don't get answers to a posted question, try doing it again with a different title.  I personally like:  "Looking for feedback on…." and titles that invite answers.

* Titles that really don't relate to the questions in the post.  Again, the title might make someone think they don't know the answer so they don't open the post.

Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason.  Just the luck of who logs in.  Because I already respond to so many questions, I tend not to reply to the "warm fuzzy" posts.  Others don't have the technical knowledge but will respond to those other type of posts to show support.  In general, summer tends to be a slower time too.

Janner
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics