The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What? No good holiday stories to be shared?

Forums General Melanoma Community What? No good holiday stories to be shared?

Participant

Ok, then. I'll start.

Apparently, my younger son's best friend, whom I consider my third son, is now manifesting bipolar disorder (a Christmas surprise!). A terrible thing in every way, compounded by the difficulty of getting good emergency mental health care over Christmas. But I have to say that there have also been some entertaining moments, such as his announcement that he now speaks fluid Spanish, because he understands how we learn languages. So this has been kind of different.

At least we're not snowed in.

Ok, then. I'll start.

Apparently, my younger son's best friend, whom I consider my third son, is now manifesting bipolar disorder (a Christmas surprise!). A terrible thing in every way, compounded by the difficulty of getting good emergency mental health care over Christmas. But I have to say that there have also been some entertaining moments, such as his announcement that he now speaks fluid Spanish, because he understands how we learn languages. So this has been kind of different.

At least we're not snowed in.

Surely there are other Christmases gone awry.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Pretty uneventful here. BUT! New Years Eve upcoming and it will be a dandy!

dian

dian in spokane
          Participant

Pretty uneventful here. BUT! New Years Eve upcoming and it will be a dandy!

dian

TinaR
            Participant
              Looks like everyone had a uneventful holiday, LV. This is a good thing. Mine was fine…too much to do and not very inspired to do it. I did have a lot of pre-Christmas puppy angst…

She is a teeny thing and I am very worried about her. I've taken her to the 24 hour Animal Hospital twice in the month we've had her. First she had a hypoglycemic attack and the second time I thought she swallowed a battery- a whole mixed up mess.

I bought myself TWO tazers…(they are legal in PA)—because I had been feeling unsafe in the parking lots while out Christmas shopping at night…lots of creepy-looking characters lurking. So one day while preparing to go out shopping & moving my purse tazer to my coat pocket – noticed that the battery cover was off and one of the two chunky, lithium, cylinder batteries was missing. I thought it had opened in the purse and was just inside.  I let it go thinking I'd fish it out later.  Two days later it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm just finishing decorating my Christmas tree when I start thinking about the missing battery…I had changed purses in the morning and realized I didn't remember the battery. I started to get upset when I remembered the puppy had a bulging stomach later the day of the lost battery…AND she had started making this little moan-like peeps every once in a while the last couple of days…AND  she seemed  unusually pookie . I started to freak…turned the house upside down looking for the battery and at 2:30a.m. called my son to meet me at the animal hospital ( it's in a dodgy section of town and I was worried about my own health as I had accidentally tazed myself in my frantic state testing the flimsiness of the battery compartment on the second tazer- 800,000 volts…but only on my hand and very quickly). Turns out she didn't eat the battery and I was back in bed by 4:30 a.m.-only short $270. Whew. I was so worried I had killed my daughter's puppy for Christmas.  All's well that ends well !

I'm sorry to hear of your son's friend …so sad. I hope that he can find good care and be on the road to recovery soon.

Happy New Year to you and I hope it's a good one.

Roxanne
                Gale
                Participant

So I must know Rox, did you buy the pink one or the black one? I've also been thinking about getting one, but haven't checked to see it they're legal here in Calif. With the time change, when I leave work, it's already dark. And nothing is creepier than going into a hospital parking structure by yourself…I have weird hours, so I don't leave when eveyone elses shift is over. ANYWAY, I think I could totally rock the pink one, but black does go with everything. Decisions.

TinaR
                  Participant

Black. You don't want people to see it UNTIL you want them to see it. I don't want to call attention to myself…just defend  if necessary. I have already used it in this way. Just to turn it on makes someone run off. The zapping sound is frightening and shocking. I think most criminal creeps are familiar with the sound of a taser ๐Ÿ˜‰

My son bought one for his ex-fiance for just the same reason…late shift at the hospital and the garage. I really want the model below that shoots the dart into the person…leaves a traceable mark under black light, too. ( also keeps the taser part 15 ft away from me!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Tactical-Gear/Personal-Defense%7C/pc/104792580/c/104778180/sc/104496480/TASER174-C28482-Personal-Protector/708350.uts

I also have a cartridge of the military tear gas (* they sell these with a pepper spray mix) but I don't feel as safe. An idea you can use in the meantime…. my BIL ( a police detective) told me to carry a can of wasp spray & have one in each room of the house (especially if you are a woman who lives alone ) They shoot 20 feet and it's just as good as tear gas. Gives you enough time to get away and you have good distance. Aim for eyes/nose/mouth…you are bound to hit one and that's enough.  I've always been a little concerned with personal safety ๐Ÿ˜‰  When I was a young woman living alone– I would sleep with my keys, a can of hairspray and a hammer. Figured ONE of the three would help me get away from an intruder.

jag
                    Participant

Wow.

If you just followed the Donna Simpson diet plan, you would be safe and sound, no need for all of the dangerous weapons.

jag
                      Participant

Wow.

If you just followed the Donna Simpson diet plan, you would be safe and sound, no need for all of the dangerous weapons.

TinaR
                        Participant

Black. You don't want people to see it UNTIL you want them to see it. I don't want to call attention to myself…just defend  if necessary. I have already used it in this way. Just to turn it on makes someone run off. The zapping sound is frightening and shocking. I think most criminal creeps are familiar with the sound of a taser ๐Ÿ˜‰

My son bought one for his ex-fiance for just the same reason…late shift at the hospital and the garage. I really want the model below that shoots the dart into the person…leaves a traceable mark under black light, too. ( also keeps the taser part 15 ft away from me!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Tactical-Gear/Personal-Defense%7C/pc/104792580/c/104778180/sc/104496480/TASER174-C28482-Personal-Protector/708350.uts

I also have a cartridge of the military tear gas (* they sell these with a pepper spray mix) but I don't feel as safe. An idea you can use in the meantime…. my BIL ( a police detective) told me to carry a can of wasp spray & have one in each room of the house (especially if you are a woman who lives alone ) They shoot 20 feet and it's just as good as tear gas. Gives you enough time to get away and you have good distance. Aim for eyes/nose/mouth…you are bound to hit one and that's enough.  I've always been a little concerned with personal safety ๐Ÿ˜‰  When I was a young woman living alone– I would sleep with my keys, a can of hairspray and a hammer. Figured ONE of the three would help me get away from an intruder.

Gale
                          Participant

So I must know Rox, did you buy the pink one or the black one? I've also been thinking about getting one, but haven't checked to see it they're legal here in Calif. With the time change, when I leave work, it's already dark. And nothing is creepier than going into a hospital parking structure by yourself…I have weird hours, so I don't leave when eveyone elses shift is over. ANYWAY, I think I could totally rock the pink one, but black does go with everything. Decisions.

TinaR
                          Participant
                            Looks like everyone had a uneventful holiday, LV. This is a good thing. Mine was fine…too much to do and not very inspired to do it. I did have a lot of pre-Christmas puppy angst…

She is a teeny thing and I am very worried about her. I've taken her to the 24 hour Animal Hospital twice in the month we've had her. First she had a hypoglycemic attack and the second time I thought she swallowed a battery- a whole mixed up mess.

I bought myself TWO tazers…(they are legal in PA)—because I had been feeling unsafe in the parking lots while out Christmas shopping at night…lots of creepy-looking characters lurking. So one day while preparing to go out shopping & moving my purse tazer to my coat pocket – noticed that the battery cover was off and one of the two chunky, lithium, cylinder batteries was missing. I thought it had opened in the purse and was just inside.  I let it go thinking I'd fish it out later.  Two days later it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm just finishing decorating my Christmas tree when I start thinking about the missing battery…I had changed purses in the morning and realized I didn't remember the battery. I started to get upset when I remembered the puppy had a bulging stomach later the day of the lost battery…AND she had started making this little moan-like peeps every once in a while the last couple of days…AND  she seemed  unusually pookie . I started to freak…turned the house upside down looking for the battery and at 2:30a.m. called my son to meet me at the animal hospital ( it's in a dodgy section of town and I was worried about my own health as I had accidentally tazed myself in my frantic state testing the flimsiness of the battery compartment on the second tazer- 800,000 volts…but only on my hand and very quickly). Turns out she didn't eat the battery and I was back in bed by 4:30 a.m.-only short $270. Whew. I was so worried I had killed my daughter's puppy for Christmas.  All's well that ends well !

I'm sorry to hear of your son's friend …so sad. I hope that he can find good care and be on the road to recovery soon.

Happy New Year to you and I hope it's a good one.

Roxanne
                            jag
                            Participant

Well, this wasn't my christmas, but at least somebody had a nice meal. (I can't believe she ate that much in an hour)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1341683/Donna-Simpsons-feast-The-30-000-calorie-Christmas-feast-eaten-worlds-fattest-mum-ONE-hour-sitting.html#ixzz19RvUOdrp

Bonnie Lea
                                Participant

I cannot comment on that cos its stupid.  The woman should be Oh I dunno.  and with a kid too! 

Well, Christmas went fine here.  Twas eerily quiet.  My Mom is away till next week, and for the first time in my life I have had Christmas without certain hassles involving explaining what is going on as it is so very hard for her to follow conversations. (she is deaf)  also being 93 now, tis even harder, so she, and I and everyone decided that she just wanted a HUGE family gathering with her friends and their adult children, all of whom adore her and treat her like the queen, and thus it went.  So Hubby and I had a lovely time with our two adult kids and got to do things that we never have been able to do before, (well I have not, as I have always been busy signing away)  hard to follow converations and repeat verbatem.

So it was def a diff Christmas.  We had popped into visit her (near Ottawa) mid November, and I snuck her mega gifts from us, so she had tons of gifts to open, and somehow thought I dunno what.  But got confused as to  how Bob got his yearly gift to her of rum.  (no rum this year) but wine yes.  hahah  someone there gave her rum (from Santa)  She did not believe me.  But twas true!  I force our friends to CONFESS to the mother…..  these friends are great, and I always feel safe with them having my mom.  It is where she goes when we go camping as she cannot stay here on her own.  So this was really a nice break for me.

Our son is doing well, very well, and a few of you know that his wife simply took herself and her two kids back to the states as she "couldnt adapt to life in Canada" after all the work involved in getting them here, all legal like, they are in process of divorce.  We lost our grandchildren, no contact.  Seems Canada wasnt what she figured life to be.  (even the therapsit said better she leave, she was poisoning the kids, and our son, and nothing would ever work right)  short of calling her unbalanced.  Oh well.  We told our son,   NO MORE BROKEN WOMEN allowed.  hahha.  Our daughter has fallen in love.  she has today left her apartment to live with our I hope one day a fine young man.  We adore him.  He adores her, she adores him and the parents adore us, and her and it is one big love fest.  He unfort is facing a nasty big surgery on Jan 5th so I pray all goes well.

Hubby is great as usual.   I am actually excited for New years.  Bob and I will watch Prince of Persia and eat nibbly things and drink champagne that dotter bought us, and on the 4th we celebrate 42 years of wedded bliss.  all too soon my round of medical issues begin.  ho hum.

so I am still here, fighting the fight,  just its soooo strange fighting on mulitple levels but am doing it just fine.  want to wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR and lets remember all our fallen friends.  God Bless us each and every one of us.

Bonnie Lea
                                  Participant

I cannot comment on that cos its stupid.  The woman should be Oh I dunno.  and with a kid too! 

Well, Christmas went fine here.  Twas eerily quiet.  My Mom is away till next week, and for the first time in my life I have had Christmas without certain hassles involving explaining what is going on as it is so very hard for her to follow conversations. (she is deaf)  also being 93 now, tis even harder, so she, and I and everyone decided that she just wanted a HUGE family gathering with her friends and their adult children, all of whom adore her and treat her like the queen, and thus it went.  So Hubby and I had a lovely time with our two adult kids and got to do things that we never have been able to do before, (well I have not, as I have always been busy signing away)  hard to follow converations and repeat verbatem.

So it was def a diff Christmas.  We had popped into visit her (near Ottawa) mid November, and I snuck her mega gifts from us, so she had tons of gifts to open, and somehow thought I dunno what.  But got confused as to  how Bob got his yearly gift to her of rum.  (no rum this year) but wine yes.  hahah  someone there gave her rum (from Santa)  She did not believe me.  But twas true!  I force our friends to CONFESS to the mother…..  these friends are great, and I always feel safe with them having my mom.  It is where she goes when we go camping as she cannot stay here on her own.  So this was really a nice break for me.

Our son is doing well, very well, and a few of you know that his wife simply took herself and her two kids back to the states as she "couldnt adapt to life in Canada" after all the work involved in getting them here, all legal like, they are in process of divorce.  We lost our grandchildren, no contact.  Seems Canada wasnt what she figured life to be.  (even the therapsit said better she leave, she was poisoning the kids, and our son, and nothing would ever work right)  short of calling her unbalanced.  Oh well.  We told our son,   NO MORE BROKEN WOMEN allowed.  hahha.  Our daughter has fallen in love.  she has today left her apartment to live with our I hope one day a fine young man.  We adore him.  He adores her, she adores him and the parents adore us, and her and it is one big love fest.  He unfort is facing a nasty big surgery on Jan 5th so I pray all goes well.

Hubby is great as usual.   I am actually excited for New years.  Bob and I will watch Prince of Persia and eat nibbly things and drink champagne that dotter bought us, and on the 4th we celebrate 42 years of wedded bliss.  all too soon my round of medical issues begin.  ho hum.

so I am still here, fighting the fight,  just its soooo strange fighting on mulitple levels but am doing it just fine.  want to wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR and lets remember all our fallen friends.  God Bless us each and every one of us.

jag
                                  Participant

Well, this wasn't my christmas, but at least somebody had a nice meal. (I can't believe she ate that much in an hour)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1341683/Donna-Simpsons-feast-The-30-000-calorie-Christmas-feast-eaten-worlds-fattest-mum-ONE-hour-sitting.html#ixzz19RvUOdrp

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics