The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

what next for ocular mets to liver and bone?

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community what next for ocular mets to liver and bone?

Participant

Dear  Friends,

My husband has had ipi and gm-csf in trial.  Showed progression although small in some mm sized tumors.  We went to y-90 next.  2 1/2 months after rt. and a month after left lobe treated, tumors were significantly bigger.  Also some bone mets appeared. Talking about Temoolomide or azd6244 trial @ vanderbilt or pd-1 drug @ moffitt.  Anyone out there that has done these?  Thanks, margaret

Dear  Friends,

My husband has had ipi and gm-csf in trial.  Showed progression although small in some mm sized tumors.  We went to y-90 next.  2 1/2 months after rt. and a month after left lobe treated, tumors were significantly bigger.  Also some bone mets appeared. Talking about Temoolomide or azd6244 trial @ vanderbilt or pd-1 drug @ moffitt.  Anyone out there that has done these?  Thanks, margaret

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        paperdetective
        Participant

Margaret,

Have you investigated the HDAC inhibitors? It is a generation of drugs that already exists and is approved for other diseases and recently a lot of scientists (especially Dr J William Harbour in vitro and with mice)  have established that HDAC inhibitors slow and/or stop further systemic OM metastasis.

A first trial of a HDAC inhibitor (Vorinostat) was just started in Philadelphia. I believe that, regardless of that trial, other oncologists may also prescribe an HDAC inhibitor in case of advanced OM mets (I know at least of one, Dr Takami Sato, who does and he may even indirectly involved in teh trial).

See more info at

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/trial/12-027

http://www.ocular-melanoma.com/docs/targeted_therapy_uveal_melanoma.pdf

More trials of other HDAC inhibitors are due to start shortly. I know that Dr William Harbour in St Louis has funding to start one with Valproic Acid, another HDAC (he believs more in that one and has used it in his previous tests). So you may want to call him too to ask the status.

Peter L in NH

paperdetective
          Participant

Margaret,

Have you investigated the HDAC inhibitors? It is a generation of drugs that already exists and is approved for other diseases and recently a lot of scientists (especially Dr J William Harbour in vitro and with mice)  have established that HDAC inhibitors slow and/or stop further systemic OM metastasis.

A first trial of a HDAC inhibitor (Vorinostat) was just started in Philadelphia. I believe that, regardless of that trial, other oncologists may also prescribe an HDAC inhibitor in case of advanced OM mets (I know at least of one, Dr Takami Sato, who does and he may even indirectly involved in teh trial).

See more info at

More trials of other HDAC inhibitors are due to start shortly. I know that Dr William Harbour in St Louis has funding to start one with Valproic Acid, another HDAC (he believs more in that one and has used it in his previous tests). So you may want to call him too to ask the status.

Peter L in NH

paperdetective
            Participant

Margaret,

See more info at

Peter L in NH

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics