The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What lifestyle efforts may help?

Forums General Melanoma Community What lifestyle efforts may help?

Participant

I'm a T1b. (.7mm 2mitosis/mm) it's thought that my lesion may be related to a decade of enbrel use. Have since switched to stelara for psoriatic arthritis. 

I wasn't offered SLNB tho I now hear from my derm I probably should have been? Seeing a surgeon to revisit that soon, but having already ha WLE I know it's iffy. 

I was just wondering what supplements or other lifestyle efforts I can make to reduce the chance of spread/recurrence?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        amelanomajourney
        Participant

Hey Anonymous,

Wishing you luck with the SLN biopsy if they choose to go ahead, the WLE is definitely the bigger operation so congratulations on making it through that!

There are studies here or there that suggest drinking coffee or curcumin or taking ASA 81mg daily may be beneficial to prevent recurrence.  I caution against studies like this.  Often times these studies are done in a short period of time (6-12 months), many times on calles in a dish in a lab (and not on actual humans with complex physiology!), and in ridiculous high doses that would be preposterous or impractical to incorporate into a real world setting.  And we are always flipping back and forth with suppliment recommendations (a few years ago omega fatty acids were in vogue, then we think they might cause harm.  People were also advocating for vitamin D, now thinks it may be more harm than benefit).

I would encourage you to do your research with anything that is offered to you but save your dollars if something doesn't feel right.  Natural medicine that works is just called medicine.

That being said if you find a practitioner who you like, makes you feel good, and can help you feel better pursue that!  At the end of the day our studies tell us reducing stress through meditation, eating a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies, exercising, not smoking, staying out of the sun and sleeping well are the simple, cheap, and very effective ways to take care of yourself!

amelanomajourney
          Participant

Hey Anonymous,

Wishing you luck with the SLN biopsy if they choose to go ahead, the WLE is definitely the bigger operation so congratulations on making it through that!

There are studies here or there that suggest drinking coffee or curcumin or taking ASA 81mg daily may be beneficial to prevent recurrence.  I caution against studies like this.  Often times these studies are done in a short period of time (6-12 months), many times on calles in a dish in a lab (and not on actual humans with complex physiology!), and in ridiculous high doses that would be preposterous or impractical to incorporate into a real world setting.  And we are always flipping back and forth with suppliment recommendations (a few years ago omega fatty acids were in vogue, then we think they might cause harm.  People were also advocating for vitamin D, now thinks it may be more harm than benefit).

I would encourage you to do your research with anything that is offered to you but save your dollars if something doesn't feel right.  Natural medicine that works is just called medicine.

That being said if you find a practitioner who you like, makes you feel good, and can help you feel better pursue that!  At the end of the day our studies tell us reducing stress through meditation, eating a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies, exercising, not smoking, staying out of the sun and sleeping well are the simple, cheap, and very effective ways to take care of yourself!

Gene_S
              Participant

I disagree with the part of staying out of the sun.  Your body needs Vitamin D3 and the best place is the sun.  But you must not get burned but a few minutes several times a day will get you Vitamin D3 along with helping.

Using natural items as well are good.  Mushrooms, curcurmin and many other things will help with cancers as many boost the immune system as well and a good healthy immune system can also help with getting rid of cancer.

Lots of juicing with non GMO fruits and vegetables as well are good to help build your immune system and make you healthier.

Gene_S
                Participant

I disagree with the part of staying out of the sun.  Your body needs Vitamin D3 and the best place is the sun.  But you must not get burned but a few minutes several times a day will get you Vitamin D3 along with helping.

Using natural items as well are good.  Mushrooms, curcurmin and many other things will help with cancers as many boost the immune system as well and a good healthy immune system can also help with getting rid of cancer.

Lots of juicing with non GMO fruits and vegetables as well are good to help build your immune system and make you healthier.

Gene_S
                  Participant

SunFriend
                    Participant

Might I suggest a SunFriend wristband that monitors the intensity of the sun and tracks the amount of UV your skin is exposed to? It's a new tool for balanced sun exposure. 

ed williams
                      Participant

Dear SunFriend, the forum has a code of conduct about not using the forum for commercial purposes. Since you own the company (Sunfriend) and you are promoting your product it kind of brakes the rules. Now if you are a melanoma patient and looking for help on the board and I am wrong about your involvement in the company then I am sorry. Ed

ed williams
                        Participant

Dear SunFriend, the forum has a code of conduct about not using the forum for commercial purposes. Since you own the company (Sunfriend) and you are promoting your product it kind of brakes the rules. Now if you are a melanoma patient and looking for help on the board and I am wrong about your involvement in the company then I am sorry. Ed

ed williams
                          Participant

SunFriend
                            Participant

Might I suggest a SunFriend wristband that monitors the intensity of the sun and tracks the amount of UV your skin is exposed to? It's a new tool for balanced sun exposure. 

SunFriend
                              Participant

Mkelley1
                                Participant

I have the same pathology as you.  .63 depth and 2 mitosis.  I did not have the snlb because my doc said there is less than a 5 percent chance that it would be there so the surgery isn't worth it.  Anyways feel free to contact me.  I would like to know more based on the fact that u have a. Very similar diagnosis to my own-  mark- [email protected].  619-388-9054

Mkelley1
                                  Participant

I have the same pathology as you.  .63 depth and 2 mitosis.  I did not have the snlb because my doc said there is less than a 5 percent chance that it would be there so the surgery isn't worth it.  Anyways feel free to contact me.  I would like to know more based on the fact that u have a. Very similar diagnosis to my own-  mark- [email protected].  619-388-9054

Mkelley1
                                    Participant

amelanomajourney
                                    Participant

Hey Anonymous,

DZnDef
                                      Participant

See what you can do to help your immune system to help you.  This means regular moderate exercise, eating REAL food (not processed and pesticide-laden food which just gunks up your liver and entire elimination system fending off toxicants) drink REAL water (clean, reverse-osmosis or spring water).  Basically, avoid exposing your body to junk.  You want your immune system and elimination systems focusing on the cancer, not distracted with extra work.  If you've ever taken antibiotics, you might want to take a good daily pro-biotic to replenish a good healthy micro-biome (a healthy gut is key to remaining chronic-disease-free).  Nothing I've suggested here is specific to melanoma.  It is specific to keeping yourself healthy.  The healthier you are, the better position your body is in to identify and fight things that don't belong there.  And definitely reduce stress if stress is an issue for you.

Take care,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                        Participant

See what you can do to help your immune system to help you.  This means regular moderate exercise, eating REAL food (not processed and pesticide-laden food which just gunks up your liver and entire elimination system fending off toxicants) drink REAL water (clean, reverse-osmosis or spring water).  Basically, avoid exposing your body to junk.  You want your immune system and elimination systems focusing on the cancer, not distracted with extra work.  If you've ever taken antibiotics, you might want to take a good daily pro-biotic to replenish a good healthy micro-biome (a healthy gut is key to remaining chronic-disease-free).  Nothing I've suggested here is specific to melanoma.  It is specific to keeping yourself healthy.  The healthier you are, the better position your body is in to identify and fight things that don't belong there.  And definitely reduce stress if stress is an issue for you.

Take care,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                          Participant

Take care,

Maggie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics