The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What happens next

Forums General Melanoma Community What happens next

Participant

I was diagnosed in March with stage 4 melanoma to the lymph nodes, stomach, bone and lungs.  I have done 3 ipi-nivo treatments and 1 nivo treatment.  I didn't get all four of the ipi-nivo combo because the side effects were too severe. My last treatment was on July 1st and that was the nivo only treatment. Since then I have been on steroids for colitis.  I'm not sure when my next treatment will be but oncologist hopes it will be soon. My last PET scan on July 13th showed almost a complete response.  There are still tumors left but they are so small they don't show up on the scan.  The lump under my left armpit is not gone completely but has shrunken a lot. The oncologist told me its probably dead tissue. What I'm wondering is that once the treatment is complete, do they remove the lymph nodes where the cancer first spread too? Or is this something they only do when someone is stage 3? I'm just not sure how much more the one under my arm is going to shrink.  Just a little confused.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hello Anon,

Congratulations on being a responder. Besides the setback with colitis, you can be thankful for plenty.  You skipped the CLND which appears to be gaining traction and went straight to immunotherapy.  I doubt there will be a need for the lymph node dissection later. Having dead (necrotic) tissue or tumors after treatments is not uncommon.  I think they missed something when I had my CLND and a tumor grew in the area, only to shrink later and then stabilize for well over a year now and its considered necrotic and no action is needed.  Once the steroids beat back the colitis, you will likely continue with the nivo-only treatments which are much less likely to cause severe side-effects.  There is no specified end-point for the nivo, and you will likely be on it for a year before considering going off all meds. Consider yourself lucky in that you have a chance at complete response with immunotherapy.

Gary

Kristi Alfaro
            Participant

Thanks so much for responding.  It's making a little more sense to me now. 

Kristi Alfaro
              Participant

Kristi Alfaro
                Participant

Polymath
                Participant

Hello Anon,

Congratulations on being a responder. Besides the setback with colitis, you can be thankful for plenty.  You skipped the CLND which appears to be gaining traction and went straight to immunotherapy.  I doubt there will be a need for the lymph node dissection later. Having dead (necrotic) tissue or tumors after treatments is not uncommon.  I think they missed something when I had my CLND and a tumor grew in the area, only to shrink later and then stabilize for well over a year now and its considered necrotic and no action is needed.  Once the steroids beat back the colitis, you will likely continue with the nivo-only treatments which are much less likely to cause severe side-effects.  There is no specified end-point for the nivo, and you will likely be on it for a year before considering going off all meds. Consider yourself lucky in that you have a chance at complete response with immunotherapy.

Gary

Polymath
                  Participant

Hello Anon,

Gary

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics