The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What does Translational Oncology mean?

Forums General Melanoma Community What does Translational Oncology mean?

Participant

Hi

While obsessing/second guessing over my decision today to decline adjuvant interferon recommended be oncologist, I came across this article that I felt was helpful, but I am unclear what "translational oncology" (in "the Oncologist-Journal of Translational Oncology") means. Is this a mainstream reliable source in your opinion? 

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/10/9/739.full

I'm guessing since author is associated with Sloan-Kettering this is pretty solid source? 

There seems to be some murkiness as to whether I am properly staged at 2C or 2B according to my oncologist, (which significantly impacts my prognosis.) He said he was going to seek clarification from pathologist. I guess what is, is tho, and I don't think it would change my decision or follow up plan.

Best to you all, 

Joyce

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Joyce,

Translational Oncology is a journal…as well as an ocology group.  Nothing more or less.  Interferon never provided amazing results…the best you can say about interferon is that it MAY prolong time to recurrence but it has no significant effect on overall survival.  Still…some choose to do it and I respect that.  The biggest problem I find with the article you found is that it was published in 2005.  That was an eternity ago in melanoma.  Heck…2010 was an eternity ago!  In 2010 we did not have ipi, BRAFi or the anti-PD1 drugs.  So with no other options…interferon may seem more palatable.  That is just not the situation today.  Additionally…the first reference listed is by Kirkwood.  He was, and sadly continues to be, one of the biggest proponents of interferon.  That is a horse he is not going to stop riding.   I tell you all this just so you know where the data is coming from.  I still sincerely support patients right to choose the option that best suits them.  It is a very personal road we walk.  I wish you well.  Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Hi Joyce,

Translational Oncology is a journal…as well as an ocology group.  Nothing more or less.  Interferon never provided amazing results…the best you can say about interferon is that it MAY prolong time to recurrence but it has no significant effect on overall survival.  Still…some choose to do it and I respect that.  The biggest problem I find with the article you found is that it was published in 2005.  That was an eternity ago in melanoma.  Heck…2010 was an eternity ago!  In 2010 we did not have ipi, BRAFi or the anti-PD1 drugs.  So with no other options…interferon may seem more palatable.  That is just not the situation today.  Additionally…the first reference listed is by Kirkwood.  He was, and sadly continues to be, one of the biggest proponents of interferon.  That is a horse he is not going to stop riding.   I tell you all this just so you know where the data is coming from.  I still sincerely support patients right to choose the option that best suits them.  It is a very personal road we walk.  I wish you well.  Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

Hi Joyce,

Joycem
                Participant

Thank you Celeste, yes I did notice age on article. That is interesting about Kirkwood- the sort of insight I seek and find here that is so helpful.

I suppose it's confirmation bias, but this stood out to me:

" As an example, we may consider a stage IIIB patient with a single, palpable regional lymph node involved with melanoma. This patient has an approximately 50% chance of dying from melanoma over 5 years [8], a risk that is not improved by HD IFN according to the published data [3]. This means that if the patient chooses to receive HD IFN, he runs a 50% risk that he will spend at least 20% of his remaining time (presumably the best 20%, because it is the year immediately after surgery) on HD IFN."

as 2C, my statistical risk is said to be similar to stage 3, but stage 3 treatments wouldn't be offered. I remain optimistic I will be fortunate, and will watch diligently and get on with things and deal with whatever happens when it does or doesn't happen. 

My onc pointed out that even with all the new things coming out, not having Mel reappear is vastly preferable, but I think he understood my decision and circumstances. 

Joycem
                  Participant

Thank you Celeste, yes I did notice age on article. That is interesting about Kirkwood- the sort of insight I seek and find here that is so helpful.

" As an example, we may consider a stage IIIB patient with a single, palpable regional lymph node involved with melanoma. This patient has an approximately 50% chance of dying from melanoma over 5 years [8], a risk that is not improved by HD IFN according to the published data [3]. This means that if the patient chooses to receive HD IFN, he runs a 50% risk that he will spend at least 20% of his remaining time (presumably the best 20%, because it is the year immediately after surgery) on HD IFN."

as 2C, my statistical risk is said to be similar to stage 3, but stage 3 treatments wouldn't be offered. I remain optimistic I will be fortunate, and will watch diligently and get on with things and deal with whatever happens when it does or doesn't happen. 

My onc pointed out that even with all the new things coming out, not having Mel reappear is vastly preferable, but I think he understood my decision and circumstances. 

Joycem
                    Participant

Bubbles
                      Participant

I really do understand your conundrum…having been myself Stage III from 2003 to 2010 with no options other than srugical removal and interferon. I did NOT take interferon and despite progressing, I do not regret it. You have every right to hope that you will NOT follow in my footsteps and the odds are that you WON'T!!!  That is my wish for you. Hang in there. Live large! C

Bubbles
                        Participant

I really do understand your conundrum…having been myself Stage III from 2003 to 2010 with no options other than srugical removal and interferon. I did NOT take interferon and despite progressing, I do not regret it. You have every right to hope that you will NOT follow in my footsteps and the odds are that you WON'T!!!  That is my wish for you. Hang in there. Live large! C

Bubbles
                          Participant

Polymath
                          Participant

Wikipidia-"Translational Medicine"

Joycem
                              Participant

Thanks Anon, guess I didn't state my topic well. Was looking for more than a definition really. I am aware of Wikipedia. 

Joycem
                                Participant

Thanks Anon, guess I didn't state my topic well. Was looking for more than a definition really. I am aware of Wikipedia. 

Joycem
                                  Participant

Polymath
                                  Participant

Polymath
                                    Participant

ed williams
                                      Participant

Hi Joyce, something to think about Joyce is that the New Pd-1 drugs are being tried in clinical trials in the  adjuvant setting and hopefully sooner rather than later new Melanoma patients will be able to get Nivo or Pembro at stage 3. Best Wishes!!! Ed

Joycem
                                          Participant

Thank you Ed, I am comforted by so many promising things in the pipeline. My onc pointed out and I of course agree that one would prefer not to need them. But still, having more fall back plans than were available a few years ago did figure into my decision to pass on interferon.

You are so kind to offer support and wisdom to so many here. 

Praying that you will continue to do so for a long long time!

Blessings, 

Joyce

Joycem
                                            Participant

Thank you Ed, I am comforted by so many promising things in the pipeline. My onc pointed out and I of course agree that one would prefer not to need them. But still, having more fall back plans than were available a few years ago did figure into my decision to pass on interferon.

Blessings, 

Joyce

Joycem
                                              Participant

Blessings, 

Joyce

ed williams
                                              Participant

Hi Joyce, something to think about Joyce is that the New Pd-1 drugs are being tried in clinical trials in the  adjuvant setting and hopefully sooner rather than later new Melanoma patients will be able to get Nivo or Pembro at stage 3. Best Wishes!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics