The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What does “The median OS at 2 years was not reached” mean?

Forums General Melanoma Community What does “The median OS at 2 years was not reached” mean?

Participant

I know OS means overall survivial, but what do the studies mean when they say the medial overall survival at 2 years was not reached ?

I wish there were plain-English versions of the study reports.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        betsyl
        Participant

I just found this definition of median survival:

"Median survival is a statistic that refers to how long patients survive with a disease in general or after a certain treatment. It is the time—expressed in months or years—when half the patients are expected to be alive. It means that the chance of surviving beyond that time is 50 percent."

So to say the median survival was "not reached at 2 years" must mean that at 2 years more than half the patients were still alive, and therefore they still don't know what the median OS is.

Do I have this right?

Nemesis
            Participant

I take it to mean the oposite. 50% of the patients have not survive to 2 years.

Nemesis
              Participant

I take it to mean the oposite. 50% of the patients have not survived to 2 years.

Bubbles
              Participant

In plain English:  Median = half.  Median overall survival means the time 1/2 the patients are expected to live after a certain experience or treatment.  If the median overall survival is not yet reached at a certain point on the time line (2 years in your example) it is because more than half of the ratties in question are STILL ALIVE!!!!!  Therefore, the study has not yet reached the point where half of the participants are deceased.

Hope that helps.  Celeste

ed williams
                  Participant

Celeste, we need a like button on this forum!!!

betsyl
                    Participant

Thank you! 

betsyl
                      Participant

"Overall survival not reached" sounds so negative, but it's actually positive. I bet a lot of patients get scared when they see this phrase. I know I did!

betsyl
                        Participant

Also, not yet reached makes it sound like the participants are going to die, but they just haven't died yet. When the fact is if you get a response (even if partial) and you make it to 3+ years, the survival curve "flattens," (which also sounds vaguely negative!) but actually means you're probably going to stay alive and eventually die much later from some other cause. In other words, you're more or less cured.

Do I have this right??

UBContributor
                          Participant

OK, very professionally explained! thank you, Seleste.

happyfeet123
                          Participant

If the median hasn't been reached because ratties are still alive does this mean the overall survival would change?   My thought would be more people are alive than expected after the two years so the survival rate is better than expected.  I agree with anonymous these statistics get very confusing for us patients.  

ed williams
                              Participant

To the last Anon, if they haven't got to a median survival # yet then that is super positive!!! A few years ago (2012) brain mets median survival was between 2 to 3 months and stage 4 overall median survival was 8 to 9 months. In the newer melanoma trials checkmate 067 with the combination of ipi/nivo when they reported last year median survival had not been reached and the nivo monotherapy group the median was 37months. Here is a link to support the trial data. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1709684

betsyl
                                Participant

That's so great!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics