The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What Does NED Mean Exactly

Forums General Melanoma Community What Does NED Mean Exactly

Participant

My wife the other night was rejoicing that I was now NED.  I said I thought that was not clearly the case.  I've only had one met to the body.  That was surgically removed, and my last PET scan was negative for any cancer.  But my last MRI showed me with two very small brain mets.  Both of those were "dealt with" by SRS, according to the onc, successfully.  Does successful SRS treatment of the brain mean that my brain is currently NED?  Guess that's my question before I claim the status.

My wife the other night was rejoicing that I was now NED.  I said I thought that was not clearly the case.  I've only had one met to the body.  That was surgically removed, and my last PET scan was negative for any cancer.  But my last MRI showed me with two very small brain mets.  Both of those were "dealt with" by SRS, according to the onc, successfully.  Does successful SRS treatment of the brain mean that my brain is currently NED?  Guess that's my question before I claim the status. I know, despite being hit by SRS, you can still see something on MRIs in the area that was radiated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

It is my understanding that MRI can't tell if something is dead or alive. What the doctors see on MRI images are white spots with dark rings around them. The white spots can be from tumor tissue (dead or alive) or from immune cells attacking the tumor. The dark rings are from blood or from serum (edema) surrounding the tumor. When a treatment is "successful" (radiation or chemo), the white spots remain the same or get smaller and the dark rings get smaller (less blood, less edema).

So as far as I'm concerned, you are currently NED. Congratulations!! 

POW
          Participant

It is my understanding that MRI can't tell if something is dead or alive. What the doctors see on MRI images are white spots with dark rings around them. The white spots can be from tumor tissue (dead or alive) or from immune cells attacking the tumor. The dark rings are from blood or from serum (edema) surrounding the tumor. When a treatment is "successful" (radiation or chemo), the white spots remain the same or get smaller and the dark rings get smaller (less blood, less edema).

POW
            Participant

LynnLuc
              Participant

I am stage 4 and NED. They can not "tell" for sure if melanoma is dead or not by a scan. They assume if it remains stable over a long period of time that it might be dead. Only a biopsy would show for sure. NED stands for NO EVIDENCE of DISEASE. Hoping you a long , healthy life!

LynnLuc
                Participant

I am stage 4 and NED. They can not "tell" for sure if melanoma is dead or not by a scan. They assume if it remains stable over a long period of time that it might be dead. Only a biopsy would show for sure. NED stands for NO EVIDENCE of DISEASE. Hoping you a long , healthy life!

LynnLuc
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics