The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What does a Sub-Q feel like?

Forums General Melanoma Community What does a Sub-Q feel like?

Participant

I was wondering if anyone could please explain to me exactly what a subqutaneous tumor feels like? Is it small, like a pea? Hard? Can it move under your skin when you are messing with it? I'm not sure what is going on but I have something that is all of the above. Thank You.

I was wondering if anyone could please explain to me exactly what a subqutaneous tumor feels like? Is it small, like a pea? Hard? Can it move under your skin when you are messing with it? I'm not sure what is going on but I have something that is all of the above. Thank You.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

I would make an appointment with your doctor to check it out. My melanoma only appears as lumps on my arm, Have had several removed but now am waiting to see if the Yervoy will shrink these tumors. Have you had melanoma before?

yoopergirl
          Participant

I would make an appointment with your doctor to check it out. My melanoma only appears as lumps on my arm, Have had several removed but now am waiting to see if the Yervoy will shrink these tumors. Have you had melanoma before?

yoopergirl
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

What stage are you?  Is this close to your primary?  Between your primary and the nearest lymph basin?  Some basic info might be helpful.  Something as simple as a lipoma ("fat tumor") can act and feel as you describe and they are very common.  Something small and hard doesn't HAVE to be a sub-q and knowing where your primary was might rule some things out.  However, it's probably worth a visit to the doc to have it checked out.

Janner
                Participant

What stage are you?  Is this close to your primary?  Between your primary and the nearest lymph basin?  Some basic info might be helpful.  Something as simple as a lipoma ("fat tumor") can act and feel as you describe and they are very common.  Something small and hard doesn't HAVE to be a sub-q and knowing where your primary was might rule some things out.  However, it's probably worth a visit to the doc to have it checked out.

Janner
                  Participant

djpayn
                    Participant

Sorry for not giving more information. 

Yes, I have had Melanoma before. This little lump "internal Pea" that I have found is across from the groin, where I did have my lymphnodes removed (some of which were positive) and under the area of the belly lymph nodes. I have completed treatment but have no understanding of what a sub-Q would feel like. 

I'm sure I will contact my oncologist this week, but I hate being that patient that thinks every new bump is melanoma. I know that being a melanoma patient, I shouldnt worry about how others see my paranoia but I do. I need these Doctors and dont want to bother them if it could be nothing. However, since this is internal and I cannot see it to determine if I should be worried, I'm afraid I will have no choice but to bother the doctor.

Thank You for answering.

Janner
                        Participant

In my book, you are not "bothering" the doctor.  You have a valid concern.  You are stage III? with something "new" in the area.  If you think your doctor would be bothered by that, then I'd find a new doctor!  This is what they are there for and even if this is nothing, you're not just crying wolf.  I'd make the call.  Now if this was on your leg and your original melanoma was on your arm – there's lots of territory between the two and I might take a bit more time to see if things changed.  That's why I was asking stage and location.  But since everything is in the same neighborhood, I'd be making that call to see your doctor now.

Best wishes this is something simple like a lipoma!

Janner

Janner
                          Participant

In my book, you are not "bothering" the doctor.  You have a valid concern.  You are stage III? with something "new" in the area.  If you think your doctor would be bothered by that, then I'd find a new doctor!  This is what they are there for and even if this is nothing, you're not just crying wolf.  I'd make the call.  Now if this was on your leg and your original melanoma was on your arm – there's lots of territory between the two and I might take a bit more time to see if things changed.  That's why I was asking stage and location.  But since everything is in the same neighborhood, I'd be making that call to see your doctor now.

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

Janner

djpayn
                            Participant

Yes, I have had Melanoma before. This little lump "internal Pea" that I have found is across from the groin, where I did have my lymphnodes removed (some of which were positive) and under the area of the belly lymph nodes. I have completed treatment but have no understanding of what a sub-Q would feel like. 

I'm sure I will contact my oncologist this week, but I hate being that patient that thinks every new bump is melanoma. I know that being a melanoma patient, I shouldnt worry about how others see my paranoia but I do. I need these Doctors and dont want to bother them if it could be nothing. However, since this is internal and I cannot see it to determine if I should be worried, I'm afraid I will have no choice but to bother the doctor.

Thank You for answering.

djpayn
                              Participant

Thank You for answering.

Swanee
                                Participant

Hi, what you describe is exactly my first encounter with melanoma.  When I went to my family Dr.  he called it a "dermato fibroma" a  benign bump, probably scar tissue, not to worry.  However, as it slowly increased in size, I decided to have my dermatoligst check and she too, diagnosed it as a dermato fibroma.  I asked to have it removed as it was growing and causing discomfort.  To the horror and surprise of my dr. the pathology report came back in-transit melanoma.  Your history of melanoma dictates staying on top of this, sometimes we're educating the doctors!  Please don't panic and don't assume it is melanoma, just get it checked, if you're not happy with the diagnosis….get another one, it's your body.  Good luck to you, hope this was helpful  : )

Swanee

Swanee
                                  Participant

Hi, what you describe is exactly my first encounter with melanoma.  When I went to my family Dr.  he called it a "dermato fibroma" a  benign bump, probably scar tissue, not to worry.  However, as it slowly increased in size, I decided to have my dermatoligst check and she too, diagnosed it as a dermato fibroma.  I asked to have it removed as it was growing and causing discomfort.  To the horror and surprise of my dr. the pathology report came back in-transit melanoma.  Your history of melanoma dictates staying on top of this, sometimes we're educating the doctors!  Please don't panic and don't assume it is melanoma, just get it checked, if you're not happy with the diagnosis….get another one, it's your body.  Good luck to you, hope this was helpful  : )

Swanee

atcchris
                                      Participant

I have a follow-up with my medical oncologist on the 17th.  Just started taking Zelboraf (2 weeks ago).  I had a confirmed tumor in my bicep.. fairly small, and it seems to be receding.. however, I had what has been described by my surgeon and my dermatologist as "scar tissue" in the scar where they resected all my lymph nodes.. this tissue had been growing and getting quite hard.. I would say the size of a large plum.. maybe a little bigger.. now it's down about the size of a half dollar or a little smaller.  you think this something that warrants me going in to see the doctor immediately, or just when I have my follow up tell him what I suspect?

Thanks,

Chris

atcchris
                                        Participant

I have a follow-up with my medical oncologist on the 17th.  Just started taking Zelboraf (2 weeks ago).  I had a confirmed tumor in my bicep.. fairly small, and it seems to be receding.. however, I had what has been described by my surgeon and my dermatologist as "scar tissue" in the scar where they resected all my lymph nodes.. this tissue had been growing and getting quite hard.. I would say the size of a large plum.. maybe a little bigger.. now it's down about the size of a half dollar or a little smaller.  you think this something that warrants me going in to see the doctor immediately, or just when I have my follow up tell him what I suspect?

Thanks,

Chris

atcchris
                                          Participant

Thanks,

Chris

Swanee
                                          Participant

Swanee

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics