The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What can I expect?

Forums Caregiver Community What can I expect?

Participant

Hi Fellow Warriors and Caregivers!!

Hi Fellow Warriors and Caregivers!!

Although I don't post often, I do read daily.  I weep with the rest of us as we lose a loved one from the group and I cheer with those that share wonderful news!  My profile states my history, so I won't give the background here, but I'll start with my present issue.  I had scans on 2/7 and although I haven't seen that actual report, a mass was found on my liver (and some possible lymph node involvement).  Biopsy confirmed metastasis to the liver.  My new oncologist was kind enough to call me and give me the information (instead of making me wait to come in and see him), and informed me he would be taking my case to the tumor board and speaking with his colleagues at UCLA as well as testing for the BRAF mutation.   So, to make a long story shorter…I am now scheduled for a consultation with a radiation oncologist to discuss treatment on the 25th.  Has anyone experienced this?  I thought this would be a one shot deal, but after calling to schedule the appointment, it sounds like it could be multiple radiation sessions?  Just curious as to what I'm in for this time around.  I'm all about the PMA but can't help but be a little scared. 

You all hold a special place in my heart.  It's hard to relate to others how important this site and you people are to me and how much information I've gained from you all.  Keep up the fight and great work!!

Wendi

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Wendi,I know how important this site is to so many of us.I want you to keep up the fight.I truly beleive with a PMA,good doctors and God &  family"s help you will come out on top.Hang in there .Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Wendi,I know how important this site is to so many of us.I want you to keep up the fight.I truly beleive with a PMA,good doctors and God &  family"s help you will come out on top.Hang in there .Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
            Participant

fdess056
              Participant

Hi, Wendy.  I haven't read your profile but have been through several sessions of high dose radiation including a possible new treatment on my knee that was previously treated this way..  The tumor seems to have come back after 1 1/2 years    .  Docs have told me on several occasions that melanoma is resistant to radiation but does seem to respond better to higher doses.  My orthopedist has recommended a knee replacement instead of more radiation as a possible long-term alternative.    I also had a  similar radiation treatment of 5 doses at high level on my neck (post dissection).  That area has remained melanoma free for over 3 years.   Hope this is helpful.  Best of luck to you

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                Participant

Hi, Wendy.  I haven't read your profile but have been through several sessions of high dose radiation including a possible new treatment on my knee that was previously treated this way..  The tumor seems to have come back after 1 1/2 years    .  Docs have told me on several occasions that melanoma is resistant to radiation but does seem to respond better to higher doses.  My orthopedist has recommended a knee replacement instead of more radiation as a possible long-term alternative.    I also had a  similar radiation treatment of 5 doses at high level on my neck (post dissection).  That area has remained melanoma free for over 3 years.   Hope this is helpful.  Best of luck to you

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                  Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                    Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                      Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                        Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

Brendan
                          Participant
                            Hi Wendi,

Sorry to hear about your results. I do not have any experience with radiation of the liver, but I wanted to wish you luck. You are not alone!

God bless,
                            Brendan

Brendan
                            Participant
                              Hi Wendi,

Sorry to hear about your results. I do not have any experience with radiation of the liver, but I wanted to wish you luck. You are not alone!

God bless,
                              Brendan

Brendan
                              Participant
                                Hi Wendi,

God bless,
                                Brendan

TSchulz
                                Participant

Hi Wendi, 

I am so sorry you have to start down this path but am happy to see you are arming yourself with information.  

I, for one, haven't heard of radiation being a first line treatment for a liver met.  Especially, if there is concern for other lymph node involvement. My recommendation would be to see what the tumor board recommendations are and then probably search out a melanoma center close to you for a second opinion.  I recall people posting great things about Antoni Ribas MD at UCLA.  

Good luck and look at all your options along with the potential side effects.  As well as how what you do today may affect what is available to you in the future.  

Best, 

Troy

TSchulz
                                  Participant

Hi Wendi, 

I am so sorry you have to start down this path but am happy to see you are arming yourself with information.  

I, for one, haven't heard of radiation being a first line treatment for a liver met.  Especially, if there is concern for other lymph node involvement. My recommendation would be to see what the tumor board recommendations are and then probably search out a melanoma center close to you for a second opinion.  I recall people posting great things about Antoni Ribas MD at UCLA.  

Good luck and look at all your options along with the potential side effects.  As well as how what you do today may affect what is available to you in the future.  

Best, 

Troy

TSchulz
                                    Participant

Hi Wendi, 

Best, 

Troy

Viewing 14 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics