The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What can I do for a friend who has been recently diagnosed with melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community What can I do for a friend who has been recently diagnosed with melanoma?

Participant

I have a friend who just got diagnosed. They are being worked up in the next few weeks – scans, lymph node biopsies, etc. Stage is currently unknown. They are anxious and scared and the work up is over the next couple of weeks. They are tired of being looked at "as a cancer patient". I want to do something for them without overwhelming them with this new diagnosis. Any advice would be appreciated from anyone that has melanoma and could tell me what it was like being diagnosed and what I can do to help. Thank you. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ET-SF
        Participant

We're going through this right now, and it's really been an emotional roller-coaster.  I suppose different people handle the issue in different ways.  Perhaps some just fold up and cry.  Others (like us) get busy and start researching.  Surely everyone gains an immediate appreciation for just what a day means.

Looking back over the past few weeks, I think the things we have appreciated the most are things that have saved us time and research.  For instance, a couple of neighbors came to the door with food, so that we didn't have to fix dinner.  They did this when we were busy with surgery.  One of the dishes was perfect to spoon up and eat with the 4-hourly doses of percocet throughout the day/night.

Another neighbor has helped us with research.  For instance, we were trying to figure out whether any special methods were required for preserving specimens of the tumor so that genetic testing could be done.  We were concerned, because nobody was talking about genetic testing, nor did anyone seem to be able to answer our questions.  For instance, would formalin preservation make the specimen unsuitable for testing later?  Nobody knew!  So one neighbor, an oceanographer, asked a couple of friends of friends who researched cancer in medical school.  They returned the answer that yes, formalin-preserved and paraffin-embedded (FFPE) specimens were fine, as long as they weren't stained.  They even sourced a lab for us that could do the histological work.  And with a relatively quick phone call, we were able to confirm that we still had sufficient FFPE tissue available for genetic analysis. This bit of research was a HUGE help to us.  We were able to tend to other matters and questions.

What we had the least of was (and is) time.  The things that helped us the most were ways that our friends and neighbors could free up some of our time.

ET-SF
          Participant

We're going through this right now, and it's really been an emotional roller-coaster.  I suppose different people handle the issue in different ways.  Perhaps some just fold up and cry.  Others (like us) get busy and start researching.  Surely everyone gains an immediate appreciation for just what a day means.

Looking back over the past few weeks, I think the things we have appreciated the most are things that have saved us time and research.  For instance, a couple of neighbors came to the door with food, so that we didn't have to fix dinner.  They did this when we were busy with surgery.  One of the dishes was perfect to spoon up and eat with the 4-hourly doses of percocet throughout the day/night.

Another neighbor has helped us with research.  For instance, we were trying to figure out whether any special methods were required for preserving specimens of the tumor so that genetic testing could be done.  We were concerned, because nobody was talking about genetic testing, nor did anyone seem to be able to answer our questions.  For instance, would formalin preservation make the specimen unsuitable for testing later?  Nobody knew!  So one neighbor, an oceanographer, asked a couple of friends of friends who researched cancer in medical school.  They returned the answer that yes, formalin-preserved and paraffin-embedded (FFPE) specimens were fine, as long as they weren't stained.  They even sourced a lab for us that could do the histological work.  And with a relatively quick phone call, we were able to confirm that we still had sufficient FFPE tissue available for genetic analysis. This bit of research was a HUGE help to us.  We were able to tend to other matters and questions.

What we had the least of was (and is) time.  The things that helped us the most were ways that our friends and neighbors could free up some of our time.

ET-SF
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics