The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What are stage IV modern treatment options?!

Forums General Melanoma Community What are stage IV modern treatment options?!

Participant

Was stage IV with many mets everyone. Ipilimumab extrememly successful taken initially 6 years ago, and received boosts twice along the way but cannot receive again due to a side effect from the IPI. Now mets to liver and need some update on new treatments (not biochemo/IL-2/interferon) [such as anti-PD1, etc…] and if you had any experience with them.

THank you very much,

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Matt_C
        Participant

Ask your oncologist about the National Cancer Institute at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD.  They have a melanoma clinic.  What an amazing federal program that appears to be somewhat of a secret.  NIH was in the news quite a bit during the government shutdown because they were unable to accept new patients, current patients were treated however.  We had never heard of NIH until we ran out of aggressive treatment options after unsuccessfully trying high dose IL-2 and Yervoy (Ipilimumab) without success.  Much of the talk of long term treatment options revolves around immune therapy and NIH seems to be on the leading edge of this therapy.  My wife, stage 4, is currently in a trial at NIH using BRAF inhibitors (not available for all patients, requires genetic disposition) and TIL (Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocyte) therapy.  They are doing amazing things there and the program features are amazing too.  Her TIL cells are growing and she will be undergoing the 3 week inpatient TIL therapy soon. We have hope now!!!

Matt_C
          Participant

Ask your oncologist about the National Cancer Institute at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD.  They have a melanoma clinic.  What an amazing federal program that appears to be somewhat of a secret.  NIH was in the news quite a bit during the government shutdown because they were unable to accept new patients, current patients were treated however.  We had never heard of NIH until we ran out of aggressive treatment options after unsuccessfully trying high dose IL-2 and Yervoy (Ipilimumab) without success.  Much of the talk of long term treatment options revolves around immune therapy and NIH seems to be on the leading edge of this therapy.  My wife, stage 4, is currently in a trial at NIH using BRAF inhibitors (not available for all patients, requires genetic disposition) and TIL (Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocyte) therapy.  They are doing amazing things there and the program features are amazing too.  Her TIL cells are growing and she will be undergoing the 3 week inpatient TIL therapy soon. We have hope now!!!

Matt_C
            Participant

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

One factor is what Oncoprotein overexpression and or DNA mutation you have (LDH levels can also effect what would be likely to help the most.)  Do you have PD-L1.  Since 2008, I have personally recommended the PD-1 for those that can get into those trials as a first attempt.

hopeagain
                  Participant

Have you received PD-1? I did not see in your bio that you did. How come? We are seriously considering PD-1. Are there any other treatments? I know of the anti-Braf drugs. Are they hleping for long term? Yervoy helped for many years, but stopped due to side effects, and looking for alternatives since there is a recurrence. IL-2 high dose is irrelevant and biochemo was already done prior to Yervoy.

hopeagain
                    Participant

Have you received PD-1? I did not see in your bio that you did. How come? We are seriously considering PD-1. Are there any other treatments? I know of the anti-Braf drugs. Are they hleping for long term? Yervoy helped for many years, but stopped due to side effects, and looking for alternatives since there is a recurrence. IL-2 high dose is irrelevant and biochemo was already done prior to Yervoy.

hopeagain
                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

One factor is what Oncoprotein overexpression and or DNA mutation you have (LDH levels can also effect what would be likely to help the most.)  Do you have PD-L1.  Since 2008, I have personally recommended the PD-1 for those that can get into those trials as a first attempt.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics