The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What a journey…

Forums General Melanoma Community What a journey…

Participant

(in response to my fellow canadian Ed from Jennunicorn’s super NED post a week ago and to all of you too)

I am trying to hold on the best I can. About 18 months out of diagnosis, scanxiety has returned with a vangnce as I am due for PET/CT soon. Last groin ultrasound was all clear in December. Managed to also have an abdomen ultrasound done with another doc and all seemed ok.

I was in touch with a patient coordinator from BMS lately and she told me that Opdivo as adjuvant in Canada would probably be accepted by end of 2018 which leaves the provinces to negociate after. Basically another 12 to 18 months wait… Am seriously thinking of buying a few shots directly from BMS if I’m still clear.

I also pursued my investigation on my case of « rare isolated cells » in one lymph node and send my blocks and slides to the UK and then Amsterdam where Dr van Akkoii is studying and gathering information on this peculiar situation through his clinical trial. First, and to my utter disbelief, the company in the UK (oncologica) could not find any cancer in my lymph nodes!!! I wanted them to test my PD-L1 expression and they couldn’t find any cells!!! Then Dr van Akkoii came back with … the same conclusion!!!! Dear Lord!! Funky staining in between the lymphocytes, all cells, cytoplasm, nuclei and morphology appear normal to him! So I might be … stage 2b! This is better than stage 3b but not out of the woods. I will send my stuff again for a last revision to a very top pathologist and make peace with the « incompetence » we sometimes face along this gruesome journey.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Very interesting new conclusions for you, to have more than one second opinion say they see nothing, sounds like very good news to me! Wishing you all the best in your upcoming scan. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics